2004 CVPI transmission rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 CVPI transmission rebuild

Local member from Alabama came over this weekend to have the transmission rebuilt in his 2004 CVPI. We had done the Jmod back in March and determined the OD band was toast, which was causing the loss of OD. He saved up the funds and came back for a rebuild.

We started on Sunday evening and got the transmission ready for removal. Once the driveshaft, exhaust, crossmember were out of the way and other stuff unbolted, we had the transmission out Monday morning and ready to build.

We struggled quite a bit with removing the crossmember. A BFH, several pry bars and lots of cursing were involved. I finally realized the E-brake cable bracket unbolts from the crossmember.

Here is how we feel about the crossmember

If you are not aware, the transmission crossmember was re-designed in 2003+ cars. With the transmission and the crossmember installed in the car, it is very difficult to access the rear bolts on the pan and get the pan off the transmission.

I used an angle grinder and attempted to make the pan bolt access a little easier, but my guesstimating came out a little off and the notches should be farther apart.

With the transmission apart, I found very little wrong with it.
    Obviously the OD band was toast, the direct clutches were worn and one of the metal seal rings was broken on the output shaft.

Going back together it got new seals, new direct clutches, updated OD band, Ford part # 7L3Z-7F196-A and the forward clutch pack was increased to 6 clutches.

This transmission had been rebuilt previously and I found the end clearance was not set correctly, or somebody used the wrong thrust washer when it was assembled.

Everything went together and we had the transmission installed by Tuesday afternoon. During our test drive the front seal popped out and the transmission dumped lots of fluid on the ground. We towed the car back to house and had to drop the transmission again to replace the seal.

A quick trip to NAPA for a replacement seal 1-6455. Installed the new seal, re-installed the transmission, topped off the fluid and everything was working correctly.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
Working...
X