EFI to Carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFI to Carb?

I'm looking into buying a panther platform. I want to make it a carbed car (because in this area i've only been finding clean EFI cars). I'm wanting to swap in a 351, this is why I'm curious about swapping over to a carb. Any ideas of how to do it?

pull the fuel pump and replace with a low pressure pump... remove all intake above heads... replace with carb intake... load on carb and dizzy... plumb fuel... tune carb... drive. There's wiring shenanigans to take care of in there too involving the pump (unless you use a mechanical one on the motor and replace the in-rank pump with duel hose draped to the bottom of the tank with a sock on the end) and idiot lights.

at least that's the short version.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sorry about how stupid I sounded in the first post, I couldn't figure out how to word it. So basically I can pick the 302 right out and put my 351 in and get it to run. Any ideas about how to get the idiot lights to turn off? And if I wanted to do a manual conversion, how would I go about wiring that?

Comment

there's manual trans conversion threads all over... as for the idiot lights, EVTM (Electrical and Vaccum Technical Manual?) wiring diagrams are your friend. but for the most part... just connect the oil pressure switch wire to the new location, same with the coolant, etc etc. You may have to add wire to reach the new location if it's too far from the original (which I don't think is the case). The real annoying part would be taking the wiring looms apart to remove all the unused wires after the conversion and leaving the used ones. Pretty much all of the wires from the ECM should end up not being used. If you get a car that's older (can't remember the switchover year... think it was 85 or 86) it comes with a separate cruise control module (not built into the ECM) and you can use that as is and keep cruise. The only bugger of a part to locate for the swap is the AC bracket for the 351 if you want to keep AC. All the rest of the 302 accessory brackets bolt on directly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Alright thank you. It seems like it should be a pretty straight forward ordeal. Well now I know it is possible to go about it.

Comment

anything is possible... it just depends on how much time and money you want to put into it. It would be easier to carb a 302 in one of these... but a carbed 351 is doable since it was an option.

Comment

Or EFI it so it starts reliably I'm the anti-carb guy though. Spent too many years cussing at them when they wouldn't go to have any continued interest. I also have practical reasons. Not much chance of getting a carb through emissions where I live, and I want to drive things without having to deal with any BS.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My daily driver right now is a 73 F250, and the carb starts up every time. Although it took about two hours to get it tuned correctly. And the while a 302 would be easier, I like the extra torque of a 351.

Comment

Well The first thing I did when I went carb 351w/5 speed was to pull out all the stock wiring/computer and throw it in the trash. Get a good stand alone dizzy and you'll have less than a dozen wires to worry about for the whole engine. (and mine always starts reliably)
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

Never have had an issue with carbs and cold weather. Batteries yes, carbs no. I have a 460 in a RV that I brought from the original owner, and besides a tune up the engine has never been touched. And yes I asked about a carb rebuild; no. So that carb hasn't been apart since it was built in '79; started right up 3 degrees, -12 wind chill. So if you want to go carb, go for it. Remember, the carb responds to physics, not a computer program.
                    Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

Comment

Working...
                    X