1986 2 Door LTD CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 2 Door LTD CV LX

I just acquired a "barn find" 2 door in real nice original shape. I'm still working on a general tune-up and over all fluid change. Next up is a good clay/compound/polish/wax for the paint and interior carpet/upholstery shampoo. She'll be a weekend/round town cruiser so nothing real crazy. I'm gonna forgo the wire wheel covers for painted steels and poverty caps although I'd love to use modern 17" CVPI wheels but I'm not sure of the viability of that. The only real mod I have in mind for now is lowered Tru-Coil Springs with Monroe Severe Duty shocks all around. I'm trying to keep my investment to very little more than elbow grease. I've already learned a bunch from what I've read here and look forward to digging deeper into other posts. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1300822Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1300823Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1300821

Nice find!! The car looks great, congratulations!! Thats one of my favorite colors.
    Looks like you might need some new headlights though.
    And the 17" CVPI wheels won't fit, but the 16" from 98-02 will fit just fine.
    Take good care of it.

Comment

Thanks! That's good to know. I'm still learning backspacing and all that jive, are those wheels a direct bolt on or will I need to invest in spacers?

Comment

Nice car...I still miss my 87 Crown Vic LX! Though the Town Car is pretty sweet! Enjoy it.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

welcome! sounds like you've got plans for a nice car to tool around in. Hold on to that car, 2drs will only go up in value. Especially a later one like that (86 and up had more power and overall a better EFI system).

Oh and if you aren't planning on it already, look into new high-beams, yours are toast.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! Based on my VIN check the 53k on the odo is legit. You know the old story...Grandpa passes, Grandma leaves his car in the garage. The NJ inspection sticker was dated 1995. The vinyl Landau and dash are in excellent shape. Unfortunately the gas & oil are probably from '95 too. She's fired up every time but the fuel filter was gross and the oil looked like Hershey's. I wasn't able to drop the tank and pump out what was left so I just filled her with 93 and dumped some HEET and injector cleaner in there. Gonna just hope for the best. Believe it or not the headlights work despite the huge crack! I'd like to service the diff and flush the radiator and change the hoses and thermostat next. I think a tranny filter/fluid change is also in order followed by brakes and fluid change. I'll probably do valve cover gaskets too. I'm just trying to think of anything that might've dried up over time. Am I missing any other logical/necessary pro-active maintenance?
            Thanks again for the responses and compliments.

Comment

All the pre 03 wheels will fit fine. That is a really good first upgrade. Shocks, wheels and tires. Since you will have the 16" you can get better rubber and are in position for the big brake swap.

Change the pcv filter and grommet while you are under the hood. They are often overlooked and cause problems.
              Last edited by jaywish; 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Welcome.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!
                  Nice find, my '91 MGM sat in some guys barn for about 6-7 years before I picked it up. It's not in as nice shape as your '86 but it's my DD and in better shape than my '89 MGM that I've had since 2003.

Enjoy the car.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Hey I see you bought the Ebay tudor that I bid on. You think it would've made a 6 hour trip back from Jersey? lol

Comment

Jaywish- I got that in mind, I couldn't find that pesky PCV valve. It went back into the new parts box until I get the thing home. Any tips? (it's currently stashed in the parking lot at my job)
                      Mr Bean - I actually contacted the seller after it ended bid-less and he sold it to me privately. A nice old guy named Ray that runs a wrecking yard.
                      Well, off to my research.
                      Thanks again guys.
                      T.L.

Comment

Not sure if you have a map sensor on that year, but I removed it and a few other hoses and such on the passenger side of the intake to get the needed clearance to work on it.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Beautiful CV. Hard to find in that condition in the East. Undercoat it ! You might consider getting agreed value insurance for it, like from Hagarty.

Comment

[QUOTE=jaywish;701813]All the pre 03 wheels will fit fine. That is a really good first upgrade. Shocks, wheels and tires. Since you will have the 16" you can get better rubber and are in position for the big brake swap.

Thats right, all the Ford pre 03 wheels will fit without spacers.
                            And there is a Chrysler 17" steel wheel that is almost identical to the Ford 17" CVPI wheel that will fit pre 03 Panthers.
                            I've got a set of these on a 97 and another set on a 91. And both of these cars have been changed over to the big brakes.

Comment

Welcome! Very nice car, great find.

I just recently purchased an '87 P72 from a member here....it has the 16in '98+ steelies with chrome domed center caps...really looks good on the car.
                              Last edited by Louis; 08-20-2013, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X