Stinky Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky Exhaust

Hiy All. I a forum noob with a 1997 Grand Marquis that hesitates when I accelerate and theres rotten smell from the exhaust now. What could it be?

It may be a plugged catalytic converter
    Last edited by extortion00; 08-26-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

+1 cat, though it should be throwing codes for bad cats (catalyst efficiency below spec or something of the like) unless it's not totally fried yet and still working "good enough" for the sensor. Could also be some bad gas. If the smell/hessitation gets worse over the next week or so, you'll probably need to look into changing them. Might also need to run some fuel injector cleaner through the system and put some highway miles on it if it's just an around town car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've researching the catalytic converter and they often fail on Grand Marqs. I'll start there and with a good tune up.

Comment

But I can't pull the codes because- http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...he-with-no-Air

Comment

typically caused by sulfides that are not converted property

Comment

If you have electrical issues. You need to repair them first before trying to fix any engine performance issues.

Comment

Working...
              X