91 MGM Power Window Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 MGM Power Window Problems

Had the passenger side go a while back. It would go up but needed help coming down. Now the drivers side is acting up. I took the door panel off the pass side a while back and stopped at that point because there was no hole to get to the motor. If I remember right the only decent size hole was for the speaker. Is this job a bag of worms? The motors work just sounds like something is slipping.

Is there a sticky on this somewhere?

There are three dimples in the steel near the bottom center of door. They need to be drilled out so you may access the bolts that hold the motor and gears in place.

The three plastic bushings behind the gear are shot. Dorman sells the bushings or a set of bushings and gears. Probably need just the bushings and a bit of grease.

With the window up, take out the speaker, take out the motor unit (three bolts), Open the plate behind the drive gear, clean it out, grease, insert bushings close it up and reinstall.

It is a bit of a PITA to get the motor set back in. The smaller the hands the better.

Some folks install ball bearings or a set of nuts instead of the plastic bushings.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

There are "dimples" where the motor bolts are, you need to drill through them w/a large enough bit to allow your socket through. Iirc, they are 8mm bolts...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

1/2" bit will do.

Alex.

Comment

I don't know what a sticky is.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-motor-rebiuld
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Thank you, I see. Thank you. Auto Zone sells these parts.

Comment

a "sticky" is the threads that never fall down the list in the forums. They stay "stuck" at the top. These are the FAQs and write-ups.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got the passenger side window fixed this afternoon. Wasn't a bad job at all. PITA getting the unit back in tho. Had to open up a spot with the cut off wheel so I could see. The HELP parts at Auto Zone had the plastic slugs, called ear plugs, $7 for a 3pk. They were ground up chunks in the housing. Thank you for the help. I would have never know about drilling out the holes. Driver side is next, on a cooler day.

Comment

if it munches these within a year, consider replacing with 7/16 ball bearings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Got the drivers side done today. Only took a couple hours. Same deal, those plastic plugs were mashed. Thank you again.
                      Paul

Comment

Do you remember the dorman part number? Heading out to hunt these tonight. Also, do you have to index the motor in anyway when you re-install it? My motor tries to operate in both directions but slips in both directions. Tons of plastic chewed up inside the plate where the gears mesh.

Comment

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18437-74410.aspx

Comment

It is available in the "help" section of my local part stores...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I was looking to replace the window motors in my car when i realized it was just those little round white things that were bad. While at the junkyard looking for a motor with the white things (before i knew the part store sold them), i found a "rebuilt" window motor. SCORE! I opened it up and all they did was put some nuts in place of the white things, and slapped a rebuilt sticker on it. I wonder if thats what all the places do.
                              -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
                              -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
                              -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

Comment

Working...
                              X