1988 Grand Marquis - Not shifting past second gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Grand Marquis - Not shifting past second gear

hi, i am new to the forum and this is my first post.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1300838
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1300839
    i recently picked up this 88 grand marquis. im am the third owner, 98,000 original miles and all service records from a local dealership. i bought it with a bad water pump, which i replaced the day i bought it. due to the bad water pump, i didnt take out on the freeway during my test drive. after the water pump was replaced, on the way home i noticed it wasn't shifting past second gear. it didn't take long to find on this forum the throttle valve bushing issue. i checked mine, it was broken, i fixed it. the shift from 1 to 2 was greatly improved. faster and more crisp. but it still wont shift into 3rd or 4th/OD. everything else operates fine, and it doesn't make any funny noises or bumps/clicks/ knocks etc. besides the hiss from the dash which i have learned is the vacuum assisted parking brake release? i think.

so my question is, is a rebuild my only option?

i have a feeling this is the case, but would like to make sure and see what you guys think. i don't want to throw money and at it an not fix the problem. also, if this is the case is anyone on here from the pacific northwest? i am in Tacoma, WA and could use a recommendation on a good transmission shop in area. this is the first transmission issue Ive ever had with any of the cars Ive owned.

thanks for your help/insight
    Andrew

yeah... the direct clutch is probably burnt up from the TV cable being loose. The OD bands are probably gone as well. be prepared for a hefty bill on this rebuild. It may be more economical to find a donor (used good) AOD to swap in with new fluid and filter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

thats what i figured, thanks for your reply. i was pretty much able to diagnose it from all the reading that i did on here. (there is a lot of good info here) i just wanted a second opinion i guess. i will most likely get it rebuilt, that way i can have a warranty and not risk spending money on a transmission that might not last. $1800 is that quote i got from the local shop. anyone know how much a silverfox aod 450 is? i emailed him but haven't received an answer yet.
      Andrew

Comment

Welcome to the site!
        Sure is a nice looking car you picked up.

Trans does sound like it's time for a rebuild though. My '91 was the same way when I bought it back in October 2012, it would not shift past 2nd.
        Swapped the trans from my '89 since it had been rebuilt just a few years ago for my dad's '89 and had around 50k on it. My '91 is the 3rd car this trans as been in now.

Sounds like you probably found the threads mentioning the brass bushing for that tv cable, make sure to pick one up whether you go with a rebuild or a swap from a donor.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

the SF trans should be about the same price (maybe a few hundred more). that sounds about right for a rebuild with everything this trans will need. If the input shaft is broken (the inner skinny one that drives the direct clutch) it'll add more to the rebuild. I've never heard of one breaking on a stock engine before (even abused... badly), but it's a remote possibility. Just a heads up. Though, it's always a good idea to have the shop show you the broken parts (if for nothing else to post pics of how bad it really was and say "these guys fixed this mess" as a way of thanks to the shop - it's also a good way to let them allow you to take pics of the debris if they're standoff-ish about it).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Andrew, I know you are all the way across the country, but there are plenty of nice CVs and GMs around NC. I have six CVPIs and I may be parting one or two "units" to downsize my fleet. All of my CV's run and drive and have great transmissions. I'm a newbie too, but have found plenty of support on this site! So what's different about a police package transmission, besides the large oil cooler, my State Patrol Garage tech indicates that the valve bodies are modified to shift a bit harder (less slipping less heat). Is he right, I don't know but when the NC Highway Patrol switched to Ford in 1985 - 1991 a bad transmission was rare! When Chevy won the bid for 1992, they had to hire more mechanics!

Comment

Andrew, And the hissing dash, you are right about the vacuum assisted parking brake release. The plastic tubing maybe broken at the grommet where it passes through the firewall. Mine was on both my 1990 CVPIs. Under hood heat and ozone age/weaken these plastic lines. You should be able to trace it easily from the sound.

Comment

Working...
              X