Rear Gears 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Gears 2002

If I change the rear gears from 2.73 to 3.55 will I need to do anything to the transmission shift points?

nope, just tell the PCM via a handheld tuner that the gears have changed. This will correct your speedo as well.

I don't know if they still use the VSS the same way earlier cars did, but you might be able to just swap the gear on the VSS to compensate.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When I changed gears from 2.73 to 3.27 on my '02 MGM, all I did was swap to the correct VSS gear (can't remember the color) so my speedo wouldn't be off. Drove perfectly afterwards. I understood at the time that the computer was compatible with 2.73-3.55 gears without any flashing, since that was the available range of stock Panther gears. It probably wouldn't hurt to reset the PCM after the swap so that it relearns its shift strategy with the new gears.
      RyPow
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
      2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
      1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
      2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
      2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Correct.
        Panthers used VSS until 2002. That being 2002 was the last year for it. So just get the correct colored gear for the VSS:
        Automatic 8-Tooth 3.55 Ratio / Black 23 Speedo Gear

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...d-mustang.html

You need the 8 tooth gear.
        Also, the VSS is held in place by one dumb 11mm bolt that you have to use an open-end wrench. It's because the bolt is very close to the base of the sensor, and you can't get a socket or a box-end wrench over it.

But it's a very quick process, nonetheless.

-ryan s.

**Side Note** - Ford did continue to manufacture the 4R70W transmissions with the ring on the output shaft well past 2002. The 4R70W from my Marauder has the ring, although it uses the OSS for vehicle speed. Also, the extension shaft housing did have a block-off plate installed over where the VSS would have been.
        You can call shinanigens all you want, but the original extension housing I removed from my Marauder(2003) is currently installed on the Tank of Justice II with over 60k on it. Boom.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

3.55 needs 21 tooth. 3.73 needs 23 tooth. This is for 8 tooth output shaft.
          see: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X