No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would have to take it apart and remove the fins. The bearings are what seized on mine though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When the air tube rusted and broke off the downpipes on my car I was thinking of pinching it shut and patching the exhaust, but I didn't know if that would blow up the pump and shred the belt so I had it re-welded like stock. If I get new downpipes made, I'll bypass the smog pump somehow.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Well - luckily someone from here that lives local is offering up their old air pump to me. So I will take it apart, gut it, grease the bearings up well, and reinstall with a new belt. That way it looks like its doing something even though its not.

Next job for the car is to replace the exhaust system - complete. The asfixiation from the exhaust leak is getting to me during my commute, so I'm replacing it with dual exhaust I ripped off an 88 wagon.

After that, the rubber is shot on the harmonic balancer - so that needs to be addressed, because the vibrations are unpleasant at idle and at other speeds.

THen - noticed the AC lines are in poor shape, so will have to replace the suction, discharge, liquid lines, a new orffice, accumulator and a recharge.

Ordering a Ford Performance harmonic balancer for the car.

After that, hope the fuel smell I'm getting goes away...

Intl. Station Wagon Show in Springfield Illinois is coming up, I hope this thing is ready.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

OK AC - replaced all the lines, flushed evap core and condenser. Put new o-rings on, and installed new lines. AC is nice and cold now

Installed new upper control arm bushings. Reinstalled the belt when doing the AC work, with a gutted air pump and lubed up air pump bearings for the shaft. Silky smooth now. Unf, the idle doesn't hold at all with the AC on. The car idles too low, so hoping the new CX1824 Motorcraft IAC will fix that.

I see the oil pressure sending unit is leaking - yippie!

New harmonic balancer is installed. New power steering pressure hose installed, and new cut ATF hose used to replace the aged return line.

Need to install some new headlight adjuster clips for driver side and aim the lights. Hope I can reinstall the trim inside the car, install a new radio and new seat belts and clean it once before I leave Thursday afternoon.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

It seems a bit odd to be posting about this vehicle on this thread, and I'm going to try avoiding any faux pas action here, but I did stop by Nick's place today to drop off some stuff for the '87 and did some minor adjustments on some previous work I did earlier in the month.

I cleaned up the 3G charge cable install that I did on it:

I used a '96 3.8 Mustang alternator and dug the charge cable out of a '96 3.0 Taurus and borrowed it's 175 amp mega fuse. I loomed up that new charge cable and routed it along the radiator support and secured it with zip ties. Outside of cutting the old charge cables back near the plug on the driver's side fender liner, I didn't really do much to the wiring and even used the 2G plug for the sense, amp, and stator wire. I figured I'd avoid altering the wiring too much.

It's always a treat stopping by his place and seeing the wagons and Town Cars.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'm contemplating making a new thread for this, but here we go! If anyone thinks it's worth starting a new one, just say so.

Anyway, this wagon has traded hands between myself and TecNickal. I'll be taking in all the paper work (hopefully) tomorrow to get it's title and plates done. I just got done insuring it, so that's taken care of.

Right now, it's still at TecNickal's house, since he's doing the intake gaskets before I come to get it. I hope to be driving it home probably on the 1st of next year.

I'm really excited to have a Box, especially a wagon. It also happens to be a perfect year, since I have the benefit of a SEFI 302 and the final year of the Boxy-Box styling. The car won't be getting many upgrades outside of some basic stuff I have planned. The hopes are to get dual exhaust installed and equip it with the police sway bars and rear control arms I grabbed a few months ago. When I pick it up, I have some '90 LTC rims with 215/70R15 Firestone FR710 whitewall tires that are going on it (the current tires are rather old and way oversized). Considering all the time and work TecNickal has put into it, I expect it to last a very long time.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I hope you Enjoy it. Still the quickest wagon I've ever owned and the best powertrain. 3.27 open rear end per the door tag. You are owner #3. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. i know you'll take it the next steps so it can continue to evolve into an even better wagon.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

Awesome! You can start a new thread for yourself. Drop a link in the new thread to this thread for its past history.

Great car. I love the exterior combo.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X