No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and I've checked the fluid level a day later and noticed I read it wrong the first time... and the filter might have come loose... and something may have gone wrong in the trans needing a rebuild.

Hopefully it's just the TV cable needs to be tightened up.

Mark the cable with a silver sharpie or something that will show on that black plastic when you do reset it. If it's slipping, you'll need to devise a way to keep it from doing so.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      I gotta say does anyone read what the op rights? He mentioned half the stuff that was recommended by you two. lol

/minirant. lol
      Couldn't remember that far back lol.

'93 T-bird
      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
      '88 Mark VII
      '86 CV

Comment

TV cable is fine. Fluid is fine, rechecked yesterday.

Also had someone come by and check it out for me yesterday. It's a first gear problem only, and it is in fact a pressure problem, but only for first gear.

Two issues:
        1) Second gear starts sometimes. If you manually select 1st, it does drop into 1st.
        2) Brake torque the motor with the shifter in 1. It doesn't react until you have a 1/4 amount of throttle then the car lurches forward. So once pressure builds up, then it engages first, otherwise it slips.

So going to transmission shop now...get the estimate for rebuild.

Since this car sat...who knows what happened. At least motor is holding oil, and color is staying nice and clean. Damn good motor. And 2-3-4 gears are fine.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Forward Clutch issue. $850 to rebuild it. It goes in next week.

Fluid is definitely burned smelling, even though its clean, so 1st gear is burning up.

I have some Lincoln leather seats, some Infiniti speakers, an Alpine headunit and some other goodies to install...

Otherwise....fixed the rot holes on the roof. Sanded, found lots of rust holes under strips. Sanded, sprayed rust converter, filled with short hair fiberglsas. Sanded. Resprayed and now am just needing to shift those roof strips up to drill into some new metal. Then just need to install roof rack and we're in business.

Windhsiled has a leak, and there's a hole in the passenger side door hinge area on the cowling? silver dollar sized hole.

Amazing for a car that never left Charleston SC how a southern car rots from the roof down. Northern cars rot from the floor up...
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

Bah. At least it's only soft parts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

As long as it stays $2500 and under in cost to buy and operate in its first year, I'm happy. Cheaper than a car payment.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

Comment

Thing has been back and forth to the trans shop. Already had to have another valve body put in. And now the ATF is dripping rapidly out of the tails haft seal. Anways, went back to a guy up the road with an 88 Colony Park and have been stripping it down. Factory tow package car - has 3.55 rear end, dual exhaust, trans cooler, hitch/wiring, etc. Some idiot installed a shitty moonroof, and the car sat for 15 years under some trees, so its ruined inside. Still going to grab a number of items to see what i can salvage.

I fixed the glove box latch today with some new arms from another latch. Installed a Ford door lock actuator in the tail gate. Reaimed the tail gate window - now door open/closes well and the window works too. Replaced the vss gear to one size larger, now speedometer reads 2mph higher than actual speed. Replaced some vacuum lines under the hood that were broken.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                  Trying to decide what to do next...does it need TV cable adjustment
                  It needs a T5 adjustment............fix all those dull slushy trans problems lol................
                  Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                    It needs a T5 adjustment............fix all those dull slushy trans problems lol................
                    Hush you.

Comment

Unfortunately finding someone that knows how an AOD works seems to be a challenge.

Not sure if you or someone else has done a service on it, but there is a small gasket that sits between the filter and the valve body. If this is not installed, it will not work correctly.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bobby Johnson, at Johnson Transmission in Lugoff SC seems to know what he's doing. The tailshaft seal and bushing got replaced today. I drove it really aggressively for 30 minutes (not brake standing it, but aggressively), no leaks, shifts good. TV cable is set so it goes into 4th at 45 under light throttle.

I yanked a BUNCH of stuff today. I have a complete OE dual exhaust system to install off of an 88 Colony Park. New speakers, used but good condition door gaskets, sound deadener, seat belts that work/retract, a new rear seat cushion, etc.

I start a new job 30 minutes away on the 13th - so I want to get most of this stuff done soon. Some of it may have to wait though...

Alignment tmrw AM
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

I yanked the headliner out of the wagon and found some more water leaks from door seals. So replaced all the door seals I could, and so far, things are staying dry.

But then I still had water leaks on the seat. I found the window channel felt had missing chunks in it, allowing more window noise and rain to enter. So I'll have to tear the door apart, and fix that. While in there, I'm installing the windows from a car with the smoker vent window, adding some Town Car sound deadener between the door panel and the door shell. Also going to put some nice speakers in the door.

My air pump started locking up and smoking the belt, so I cut the belt. No AC for now. I'll have to remove the air pump and install the shorter belt. This car had someone put some hackers R us downpipes without cats welded to the Y pipe and it has a huge exhaust leak. Also another task to take care of.

Otherwise, this car doesn't loose coolant or oil. Nice running motor, I like it. Hope the dual exhaust will give it a bit more oomph. I installed a auto dim w/compass and maplight mirror in it too.
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

those smog pumps are crap. The one on my Towncar sounded like 50s UFO sound effects when it died, and the Mark VII had a monkey with maracas under the hood before it was unhooked. Neither seized, but they were close to it.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine seized and sounded like a small supercharger for a few months before.

Comment

Is it possible to gut the smog pump so it's physically there but not pumping anything, basically using it like a smog pump eliminator kit so that you can keep the stock belt? I changed the belt on mine not long ago so I'd rather not pull it off again so run a shorter one. If I can gut it, cut the air tube off and patch the exhaust (or have catless downpipes made like I want), I'll go that route to make it easier.
                                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                                X