TroubleMarq is down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TroubleMarq is down...

I was driving to burger king A/C on music wasn't loud as i usually have it set and when i a couple of streets away from my house my car turned off so i turned it off and started it i could see white smoke so i drove as fast as i could parked the car popped the hood a ton of smoke was coming out opened it up and saw the 2g alternator on fire couldn't help but remember every 1 on grandmarq telling me to ditch the 2g. so i pour some of my soda and it went out then ignited, did it a couple of time b4 i remember the battery was probably feeding it (felt stupid...still do). the 2 charge wires don't look to bad i mean at the connection points on the harness but the rest of the wire looks perfect and it charred at the harness point not as bad as i thought tho i'll get some pics up as soon i charge my phone (pics or didn't happen) i can't help but feel like it's Christmas and my present is gonna be a nice 3g H.O. alternator i can already picture myself installing it ear to ear smile, ive been wanting to put 1 in since i found out it was possible and it looks like Christmas is coming early =)

Having trouble with the alternator bolts they just won't budge. scared to keep trying i dont wanna damage the bolt or anything not sure what to do with the bolts

Comment

The lower one is usually the mothereffer. The upper one just have at it. Once you get the upper one off swing the alt down and I believe you can see where the lower bolt (LONG BOLT BTW) goes. Try squirting some pb blaster or equivalent on there.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

planning to get some pb blaster tomorrow for the most part not much i can do today it was just a straight L

Comment

Good to hear you saved it before more damage could be done.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Was it the entire alternator or just the connectors that were faulty??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the other connectors look fine just the black and red line wires look like they caught the worse of it and yea im pretty lucky it didnt get as bad not gonna lie i thought my car was done i'm lucky i ordered a large soda

Comment

I have a known good 2g that i have a rigged cable to adapt to 3G wiring in case I need to rebuild a 3G and still drive the car while doing it. It's the original alt from my 88.

Don't worry about the charge wires if you're going to do the 3G swap. You'll be putting in a new (to you) charge wire anyhow. Also, the connector for the regulator is the same on 3G alts so it stays (as long as it's not damaged). www.delcity.com has the charge cable boot http://www.delcity.net/store/3:8!in-...ulators/p_1033

LateModelRestoration has the rest of the stuff....

Charge Cable
                http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Power-Wire-Kit

regulator plug if you need a new one
                http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...onversion-Wire

stator connector if your current regulator plug is ok
                http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...mall-Parts-Kit

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the 3g upgrade is awesome you wont regret it its easy youll like it good save
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Finally got it out and the thing looks fuccin charred to shit when the regular rachet and pb blaster wasn't doing it had to buy a 24'' breaker bar and ratchet adapters and it came out with ease it was almost a joke
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1273166

i left the tags on because i planned on returning it and getting a blow torch but it's earned its keep

Comment

On older cars like yours the breaker bar will always come in handy.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Didn't have a piece of pipe on hand to slip over the ratchet? Bah, never mind having more tools is always a good thing!
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I have a small corner in my garage with a selection of different size pipes.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                            I have a small corner in my garage with a selection of different size pipes.
                            Always helpful with difficult jobs or rowdy neighbors!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

LOL! yea it saved my life!now just waiting for the new alternator which suckessss but it shouldn't take that long now gonna jus do tha big three electrical upgrade while i'm at it will post pics when i start

Comment

Working...
                              X