No announcement yet.

TroubleMarq is down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did a 3g upgrade on the '90 today. Found a junkyard small case 130 amp unit from a '98 Mustang. I used a 56mm pulley from Ford. You can use a 65mm, but getting the belt on is a bit of a fight.

This unit originally came with a 70mm pulley and I was worried I wouldn't be able to use the stock belt. The one from Ford was about 20 bucks I think.

I re-pinned the voltage regulator connector and installed a stator jumper from the junkyard. That allows you to use your existing harness with it's fusible links.

Need any more details, don't be afraid to ask. Myself and I'm sure others here would be happy to help you along.

1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

you should run a fatter charge cable instead of using the stock cables since they are not rated high enough and if you ever do a WOT run at night with the AC running, you will probably blow the fuse links on the stock charge cables.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh god those stock cable are nice and crispy im running 0 gauge cable even gonna upgrade the grounds just in case but here's the new alternator just waiting on the rest that should come today it's a 240 amp alternator well thats what it said at least got it on ebay really helpful people he pretty much did the harness for me all i got to do is splice the yellow and green wire to the stock wiring
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1273177Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1273178Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0079.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1273179

Comment

Yellow cable can hook up to the charge stud on the new alt, only the green wire needs to connect to the stock wiring. I put a spade connector on the green and plugged it into my stock connector.
          0 gauge should handle your 240amp alt, I also used 0 gauge even tough it was more than overkill for the 130amp Mustang alt that I put in my 91 MGM. 0 gauge can be more difficult to work with but it didn't help that I installed mine back in Feb or March, outside, while it was freezing out.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

i didn't get to finish my 3g install on the count of the postman not delivering the goods i know he had it in his truck... anyways i made up 2 and a half of the wires and installed 1 and a half of them took awhile to put the engine block ground in, had to use a 9/16 wrench my ratchet wasn't even able to crank since i hadda crawl under the car thing's are looking good im concerned with the pulley the alternator came with it seems smaller than the original i hope the belt isn't to lose...

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              you should run a fatter charge cable instead of using the stock cables since they are not rated high enough and if you ever do a WOT run at night with the AC running, you will probably blow the fuse links on the stock charge cables.

Sorry, I meant the regulator harness. I ran 4 guage with a 150 amp fuse for the charge wire.

If I recall, the yellow wire to the regulator has a fusible link. It's buried in the loom somewhere between the regulator and the connector under the intake duct work.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I actually had trouble with the belt. The Stock belt is too short since my alternator reaches it's limit at the middle of the tripod bracket anyways i recalled a post i saw about 3g belt sizes and got the belt sizes off there but the 505k6 was about the same size I figured it didnt fit because my car had A/C so i bought the one for A/C's the 560k6 and it was way too big so i bought the 520k6 and its still pretty big... way too big i thought the 520k6 was the answer but it's not if only my alternator would just move a little more back... anyways I special ordered a 510k6 and hope to god that's the right belt.. the rest of the 3g installation is done i'll take pics later the sun isnt out and i just got home from work

Comment

The 510k6 Fit perfectly but this relay i ordered isn't working correctly it seems to spark everytime i start the car i'm scared to even leave the battery plugged in it's a E99F-11450-AA was bought off a 87 mustang

Comment

this is where the spark comes from it's not touching the chasis or anythin and not touching the wire on the other side i'm thinking it's no good also the alternator pulley is extremly hot when i ran it is the belt too tight? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1273185Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0083.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1273186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0084.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1273187