No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The making of new arm rest. 4 pieces of MDF cut to shape which will be glued together and then sanded to perfect shape. A slot for the door pull handle will be made afterwards.

Comment

After armrest is glued together.

After some sanding. I will have to throw some mud on this one because I cut too deep in one spot. The other side came out perfect. No biggie though as it's gonna get covered in leather anyway.

For the next step I needed to make the decorative curve in the panel. I decided to make the indent inline with rear trim panel (see arrow).

This is achieved by adding a second layer of plastic on top part of the panel. Cutting along the line and then leaving a small gap in between. After that the panel is glued over top.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Continuing on.

I needed to make a hole in the arm rest for the door pull handle. I am using handles from Ford Escape. Handle location is approximately same as stock 03+ armrest.

After handle was done I moved onto the rest of the door panel. I added a strip of plastic to cover the top metal brace.

There was a gap that needed to be filled on the door panel where it curves around the dash. I cut a piece of plastic then used industrial hot glue to hold it in place. Not sure if that was the best glue to use but it seems to stay in place pretty good.

Next I need to make a spot for the speaker. This is roughly how it will sit. Then mark and cut.

Once the hole was cut I needed to make a pod to hold the speaker cover in place. MDF to the rescue once again.

Mocking up completed panel on the car. As you can see speaker hole in the door doesn't quite line up with speaker pod on the panel. Not much can be done there short of attaching the speaker to the back of the door panel.

After that I made a bracket to hold the door pull handle to the door.

Next up is upholstery. I won't go into too much detail here as it's pretty self explanatory. Cut the leather to shape then spray everything with glue and go to town. I

This is the result.

A strip of plastic is added on top to cover the seam.

Door card upholstery is done in similar fashion. I added some padding on top to make the panel soft.

Not sure what this stuff is called. Just something I had laying around.

The padding is glued into place first. Then I only glue the leather on the edges as well as along the seam leaving the middle sections lose.

This is the end result.

And completed panel.

Comment

Looks good, should be a nice match with the modern dashboard.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still in awe. So freaking custom yet factory. Excellent job. Love seeing the updates.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Still in awe. So freaking custom yet factory. Excellent job. Love seeing the updates.
                QfT!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Rear door cards will be a bit more economical. Still using plastic for the cards but had to resort to using hardboard over top because I ran out of plastic. Nothing fancy here. Just gonna make the panels match front door panels and adding tweeters.

Comment

Rear cards are done which means the interior is officially finished.

Comment

That looks very nice.

So how many speakers are you running in this?

Comment

Looks good!
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          That looks very nice.

So how many speakers are you running in this?
                          Thanks. I have 6 speakers altogether. I am not an audio guy so I don't have anything fancy in there. The only new speakers that I added are these small tweeters for rear passengers. Only did them so they match front doors and so the cards don't look so plain. Plus I already had the wiring in there from before so was just a matter of installing them.

Now that interior is done I am thinking of tucking my bumpers. Something that I started working on last year but never finished.

Comment

Comment

Looks much much better than the first version we spoke about.
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Dude, simply awesome.
                                '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
                                formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Working...
                                X