No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if I'll be able to pull them off before STAP. I don't really want to rip any of the body panels off until the last minute before it goes the scrapper.

Didn't really do much today. Pulled the valve covers off to assess the situation. The million dollar question is blown or not blown? I am not feeling that milky sludge.

I was actually surprised how clean the heads look. Especially since I run conventional oil.

Comment

Meh, I don't feel like hauling them anyway. Not too excited by the idea of the trunk being tied shut for the entire trip home.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
        Assuming the price is right.
        A good junkyard should be able to order aftermarket fenders. A few years ago, I ordered one fender for my '92 CV.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I got a bunch of stuff done today. Painted the firewall then pulled the dash out of 96'. Started installing stuff on the box.

Anyone know where to get replacement seals for the heater and vent boxes? The 85' seals are a bit dried up and deformed and 96' seals are destroyed. I am also considering using a roll of butyl to make the gasket. Every single Panther that I've had leaked water from the firewall area so I am not really a fan of the OEM stuff to begin with.

Comment

I'd just use butyl or even the dense black foam you can get in 1 inch wide rolls/strips at hardware stores. Anything that'll seal the hole and deal with the heat, really.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I pulled the heads off tonight. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Was just stupid condensation. Thanks to that, I get to replace head gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                I pulled the heads off tonight. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Was just stupid condensation. Thanks to that, I get to replace head gaskets.
                I did an oil change on the Sand Box about a month ago, and saw a little bit of the chocolate milk trickle out at the end when it was almost completely drained. I didn't pull valve covers but I'm sure they looked like yours underneath. That extreme winter we had produced a lot of unique conditions/scenarios and this seems like one of them. Get the block/heads colder than usual and I imagine it will sweat internally more than normal when the ambient temp comes back up.
                RyPow
                1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
                  Sometimes I throw tools as well as breaking shit. I've thrown parts too. Of course all was done while having a fit of tourettes.
                  +1 on the throwing of tools. A lot of the times I lost them in the grass. Only to run them over with the lawnmower a few months later. My father calls me "Kenny", who is one of his mechanic friends who does the same thing when he gets angry. Good thing you knew when to stop, sit down, and sip some whiskey (okay, that's what I do) to calm the storm.

Packman

Comment

Long weekend means I got some more shit done to the car.

Motor is mostly assembled I managed to crack the timing cover when putting it back on so I gotta find another one. Anybody got one kicking around for an Aero?

Today I liberated Bignslow from its wiring harness and roughed it into the box. Got rid of wiring for the back doors too.

Other than that a lot of small crap that's been slowing me down. Took me like an hour to get one of the back seat bolts out because it was seized.

On another note, I have a lot of box parts piling up that I really have no use for. Would someone be interested in them? I have a complete gray dash with good dash pad (no cracks and speaker sections intact). Gray leather seats for a tudor. Could use a good cleaning and back seat needs to be stitched up on top as factory stitching is starting to come apart. HVAC boxes with heater core and condensers in them. Front sway bar.

Comment

I you were a local I would take the seats dye em and run em in my ride. Great work man. Awesome project!
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So umm quick question. I noticed that there are 2 plunger type switches on each door. One on the a-pillar and one on the b-pillar. What the hell are those for? One is obviously for the interior lights but what about the other? I yanked both of them out and fabbed up the door light switches right into the latch mechanisms same as the newer models.

Comment

Plunger on the B pillar is to release the seatbelt.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Yup, for thee seat belts. They are 2door specific too. Be careful with them.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

So the motor is in.

Comment

With the motor installed in the car I found a new problem. Steering shaft won't clear the headers. Even bigger problem is that the steering shaft appears to come through the firewall in a wrong spot. Looks like I will be refuckulating the firewall again and moving the shaft over.

Comment

Working...
                                X