No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a while since I've posted any updates. Body work on the roof is 95% complete.

Comment

smooooth

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Drove the car to work this morning. Discovered multiple issues.
        1. Rear tires rub the wheel arches. Gonna have to trim the arches.
        2. Gas tank is not accepting gas. If I go slow it works fine but full blast spews the gas right out. Not sure if it has something to do with the way the filler tube is tilted or if it's something else. I am running 07' tank. Gotta figure something out with that. Was there a box gas tank with fuel pump in the front similar to Aeros and Whales?
        3. Marauder seats sit too high. I am hitting the roof with my head. Gonna have to lower them a bit or get different seats.
        4. Wind noise. Window channel seals need to be replaced.
        5. Exhaust noise - don't think I can do much about it because racecar.

Comment

90-91 Sedans have the fuel pump/sender assembly mounted in the front of the tank and the sending unit uses the same (or nearly the same if it's not the same) resistance range as 98-02. The fuel gauge in my 2000 P71 cluster works great in my 91 MGM with stock fuel sending unit.

The mounts for the fuel tank straps would probably need to be moved/modified since the straps are different lengths between 90+ and 89-, and using a 90-91 filler neck would likely be required. Other than rerouting the fuel lines to the front center of the tank, I can't think of any other modifications needed to do a 90-91 fuel tank swap into an 89- box.

Edit:
          Actually since you are using a 2007 tank you may not have much work to do to get a 90-91 tank in there, but if you're really lucky maybe a 90-91 filler neck might be all you need.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ok that's good to know. 90-91 filler neck won't fit in the 07' tank. It's different size. Anyone buy 90-91 tank from Rock Auto? What's the quality like? Also, where would I buy a 90-91 filler neck? Rock Auto doesn't carry it.

Comment

typically this is a tank vent issue (that stupid plastic valve on the top of the tank on the newer cars). I know the newer filler necks are also two hose (the big one for the tank and the little one to the vent). If the little one is crushed, blocked, plugged... it'll do this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                typically this is a tank vent issue (that stupid plastic valve on the top of the tank on the newer cars). I know the newer filler necks are also two hose (the big one for the tank and the little one to the vent). If the little one is crushed, blocked, plugged... it'll do this.
                I second the vent issue. My car did a bunch of stupid shit because of it. All being caused by me.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Ok so is there any way to test this or bypass the vent to see if that's the problem? The 07' tank wasn't a direct bolt on. I had to mess around with vent line routing up on top of the tank to get the 96' vent lines to hook up and it wouldn't surprise me if I screwed something up. There is a vent line hooked up to the filler neck. If I disconnect it would it the tank to vent normally?

Comment

First pics of the car out in the wild.

Comment

Got any driving clips? Also, do people give you weird looks when they hear it take off?

2003 Crown Vic HPP- 3.27s. Dual exhaust. 11.25" torque converter, Arnott Limo Duty HPP-rate rear air springs. 205,xxx miles. (Stolen by the old man)
                      1995 Impala SS- 28,293 miles. The Lovely Lady
                      2003 BMW 325i- 113,xxx miles. KYB ZHP(M)-spec struts, Rear M3 shocks, Exhaust butterfly valve delete, USB and Bluetooth playback with stock head unit, Projector Retrofitted lights, Euro-convex mirrors, slotted-not drilled rotors all around.

Comment

I was getting looks all day driving around. On the way to work this morning some old guy in a minivan almost came to a stop going the other way. Stared at me then gave me a thumbs up. I laughed.

I will get some videos once the car is completely finished.

Comment

The small line on the filler neck could be plugged into the vent directly with no check valve and it would vent normally during fill up. I have no clue how that plumbing works to go to the evap stuff. I can look at my 00-04 EVTM when I get a chance and figure it out.

Comment

Also, you can get the window channel weather stripping from JC Whitney. I don't remember the part number, but it comes by the roll.
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I don't know how I feel about that front valence... What tires are those? Size wise.

Does it boogey?
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                                I don't know how I feel about that front valence... What tires are those? Size wise.

Does it boogey?
                                I have mixed feelings about the chin spoiler. I will know if if I like it once it's painted black. Tires are 255/50/18. This thing corners like a go kart.

Comment

Working...
                                X