No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the first time I've ever seen an intercooler on a box. I could get used to that
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

So the more I look at it the more I think I want to do 88-91 nose and rear swap. It looks so smooth with bumpers removed that I want them to be flush with the rest of the body. I am thinking Crown Vic nose and GMQ rear.

Comment

Gross.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

keep it one or the other. 88-91 Merc looks bad. Vic looks amazing.

Trimless!!! Keep that way.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Sprayed first coat of surfacer this morning. Lots of scratches that will need to be blocked out.

Comment

the 88-91 filler panel would be the issue. It has that molding match up part on it that would jut out. Now if you were to flush mount the bumper up front or make your own filler panel, that would fix the issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1277544

I'm continually impressed with this build. Keep up the stellar work!

Comment

You'd need different bumpers. The bumper would jut out too far.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    the 88-91 filler panel would be the issue. It has that molding match up part on it that would jut out. Now if you were to flush mount the bumper up front or make your own filler panel, that would fix the issue.
                    I was under the impression that he was planning on swapping the whole nose/tail so everything should match up.

Also should point out that the bumper shocks on the 88-91 CV stick out further than the 87- CV from my experience. As you can see by my swap, the bumper overhangs further than it's suppose to after switching to the older style nose. I'm not sure how the reverse would look. It think I remember you possibly fabbing up your own mounts for the bumper though.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I am not a fan of 88-91 GMQ nose which is why I want the CV nose. I can't do CV rear because trunk lid and trunk opening are different. CV nose had smooth filler pieces so there shouldn't be an issue there. GMQ tail does have a molding embedded into the filler piece. I can take care of that with some cutting and fiberglassing. Not too worried there. Bumper mounts will most definitely need to be modded but I am not too concerned about that. Finding the parts will be my biggest issue. Boxes are pretty much non existent at any of the junkyards here.

Comment

Look at the glamour shot of my car in the POTM thread. The black molding on the sides matches up with the filler panel that covers the ends of the bumper. That's the part I'm talking about. You would have to tack on ALL of the lower moldings to make that look right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok I must be retarded but how do I get to the POTM thread? I can't find it.

Comment

I couldn't find your thread but looking at pics of other cars this is the only piece that I would have to cut out and fill it with a smooth section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1277545

Comment

Or can't you just use a CV bumper surround instead of a GMQ? It doesn't have the trim "connector" section you blocked off in your pic.

Here's what mine looked like before the "swaps".

EDIT:
                              Adding this pic in case that the GMQ trim is a different shape under the tail lights. Here's what it looks like with the 87 bumper / trunk but the 89 CV bumper surround. You might get a better idea what it looks like:

Last edited by slack; 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

88-91 CV rear trim piece is different form a 88-91 GM piece.

Whenever I see a panther with a mismatched GM/CV front/rear, first thing I think is junkyard ghetto cruiser, but that's just my opinion.
                                Boxes should be boxy.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X