No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these the clips that hold the roof molding in place?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-1988-19...75db94&vxp=mtr

Comment

yeah/ VERY similar if not the same. If you need a pic without a piece of trim attached I can grab you one. I have one around here. I don;t know if anyone sells those new.

Also for the rear window trim button things. Mustang sites sell them. I got some from latemodelresto.

You can get new clips to hold the rest of the rear window trim in place as well.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...979-93-Mustang
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-02-2015, 04:30 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Any idea how those roof channel clips actually attach to the car? The Ebay pic isn't very good.

Edit: I found the clips. I have about 8 of them. Hopefully that will be enough to hold them in place.
        Last edited by Mr Bean; 06-02-2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

So the 8 clips that I found were enough to install one molding. I need about 8 more.

Any idea if I can get those window trim buttons somewhere else? I am not willing to pay 37 bucks for shipping for something that can be slipped into an envelope for 50 cents.
          Last edited by Mr Bean; 06-02-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I cant locate my old trim clips. Only thing you can do for the button clips is, comb the wreckers for them. Other ford cars, like fox mustang coupes used them too.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Yeah I got mine from the junkyards and repainted them to look new again.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

For anyone curious, the roof molding clips are same on fox body Mustangs.

Comment

Glad to hear this didn't slow you down. You're kind of a professional around these parts...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                    For anyone curious, the roof molding clips are same on fox body Mustangs.

You are referring to the ones that hold onto the large piece above the door?
                    ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      You are referring to the ones that hold onto the large piece above the door?
                      Yup.

Comment

So, it's been 2 weeks since I painted the car and I got bad news. Looks like clear coat didn't stick to the base for whatever reason. Clear coat feels soft, I can mark it with my finger nail. No clue wtf I did wrong. I followed application instructions, the only thing I can think of is that I waited too long to spray clear after I sprayed my base.

I am not repainting it again, gonna leave it as is for the summer and get it resprayed by a pro next Spring. This officially sucks!

Comment

ouch. It always seems to be a learning experience.....Feel for you. I'd be PISSED off to no end.
                          ~David~

Comment

This is why all cars should be indefinitely primer.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

this is why I spot rattle can my shit. it will eventually die anyhow... might as well look the part when it finally does.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What pisses me off the most is not knowing why it's dickered. I am betting it's something with the paint. I've painted cars before without any issues but I never used Sherwin Williams paint before. So, I don't know. I painted the header panel and other smaller bits today and they appear to be exhibiting same problem. At this point it's definitely not waiting time between base and clear because this time I sprayed base and then clear within an hour. I am still not sure if it's adhesion problem or if clear is just not curing completely.

In other news, I finished reassembling the car and I absolutely love driving it. Even with all the quirks that it has, I get so many looks driving around. I replaced all the window seals and it's nice and quiet on the highway now.
                                Last edited by Mr Bean; 06-13-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X