No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the past I have received some squeaks in that area due to the rear springs touching the big washer on the body mounts. I remedied that by re clocking the spring coil away from the body mount. I have a squeak from the discs as well over bumps. I can replicate it by pushing the car side to side/ up and down rigorously. Stepping on the brake while preforming this task resulted in that annoying squeak disappearing. I have yet to dive into what is actually causing it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      I went to a cruise night tonight and discovered a couple of issues. My fuel fill issue is still there. As soon as you give it full blast it spews the gas out. I think I am gonna bite the bullet and order a 91' gas tank. Could someone confirm for sure that the Aero fuel pump and sending unit will fit into the box tank? Also, any idea where I can buy that valve that sits on top of the tank for a 91?

Second issue is I got an annoying ass squeek on the right side. I thought it was coming from the front suspension but now I tracked it down to the rear right side. Almost sounds like it's coming from the seat area but might actually be the fuel tank.
      I can confirm that the fuel sender from a 91 will fit in an early aero tank. I put a 90 unit in my 92 grand marquis gas tank.

Comment

Some shitty news from today and a word of advice for others. For anyone looking to replace their evap core, do not use butyl tape to create the seal for the evap core housing to the firewall. It will stick like glue and you won't be able to get the housing off in the future. I ended up smashing mine to pieces with a hammer. Gonna be heading to the junkyard on the weekend to get a replacement. Luckily, it's modern so there should be a few 2011s there.

Comment

kinda why they use it on sound deadener. Once it sticks and cures it's there forever.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

whether you want it to be or not
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got a couple of updates on the box. I swapped out the evap core with housing on the weekend and tried charging the system - no go. Compressor would barely spin but wouldn't accept any charge. Also, high pressure switch appears to be shot. I will have to get that sorted out.

Now some good news. I tracked down the annoying squeak from the right rear. Turned out to be the spring which was rubbing on a body mount washer. I used Aero springs which are a tad wider than a Whale and that was the result. No biggie, rotated the spring a bit so there is no more contact and was ready to roll. While under there discovered that the tail pipe was also coming in contact with Watts link as well as the axle housing. Refuckulated that as well. Now no more annoying sounds. So stoked!

And now for some cool news. My car made it on BangShift!
              http://bangshift.com/general-news/ca...t-the-mod-box/

Comment

Awesome!

Also, extra awesome points for the build link back to here.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well deserved.

And I called the squeak!
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yup.

I posted this on CVN, I'll post here as well, maybe someone can give me some ideas. I am in the process of getting all the bugs worked out of the a/c system. The issue that I ran into was not being able to charge the system. It just wouldn't accept any freon. Pressure kept building up when I went to charge it but that was it. The A/C clutch was also failing to engage properly. Basically the clutch pulley was spinning very slowly and stopping altogether.

Tonight I ripped the whole system apart. It was still holding pressure. I took the compressor apart, it was nice and clean inside. The only thing that looks questionable is the clutch. There is a bit of rust on it and I am not sure if it's normal or not. The compressor came off an 04' Town Car which was a Northern car so I would think there is no way of getting around rust but perhaps someone who knows more about this can chime in.

The coil still looks fine.

Comment

AC Clutch isn't that terribly expensive. If the compressor is good, I'd just replace the clutch. It looks like crap and I've never known rust to be good for clutch work. I'd also check to see that the orifice tube is in need of replacing, flush the works, re-lube it, possibly re-seal it, and put it all back together with some new 134a. Might also have a high pressure sensor issue depending on what system you're using.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I checked resistance on the coil, it read 4.5 ohms. Compared it to the 03' Vic and got same reading so I think the coil is still good. Cleaned rust off the pulleys and threw it back together, Gonna put it back on the car and try it tomorrow and see if the clutch kicks in.

I know the high pressure sensor is bad which I will be replacing. I bypassed it before just to test and still had a problem with a clutch.

Comment

Does that system have a low pressure switch you can bypass too? (momentary like just in case the orifice tube is clogged) Hook up some gauges and see if it'll drop the pressure on the low side while raising the high side... once stable the low side should be around 35-40PSI with the high side (as a general rule) about 3x ambient temp in degrees F. So if it's 80 out, ~240 psi. The last time I did this check, I had 95F out and ran about 290psi on the high side with about 38 psi on the low. That was on the 93 though with a brand new compressor. YMMV.

Comment

It does have a low pressure switch as well which I also tried bypassing and it made no difference. Orifice tube is brand new. The only thing I haven't checked yet is to see if one of the lines or condenser is clogged.

Comment

put a set of guages on it and see if they modulate. If the high side goes up REAL FAST and the low side drops out real fast... you've got a clog in the system. If the low side doesn't recover within 3-5 seconds, you've got a clog. If the static pressure with the system off doesn't peg the low side gauge, you probably don't have enough refrigerant in the system.

Comment

When I had a set of gauges on there before when I tried to charge both low and high went up at the same time. I let the low side get up to about 60 psi and high side was at about 90. I am suspecting that it just wasn't taking in freon because compressor wasn't kicking in.

Comment

Working...
                                X