No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, please help me settle this. The 85' is getting big brakes but what I am not sure of is whether or not to install ABS. I have all donor parts for either setup so its just a matter of deciding which ones to install. The car will not be driven in the snow but may see occasional rain.

As far as stopping distances go, which stops quicker when it's dry? Which stops quicker when it's wet?

I like the thought of having ABS for added security plus it's a fancy mod that wasn't available on these cars.

I don't however like the complexity of the system and all the extra parts that go along with it.

Comment

IMHO distance won't be much of a factor. However control will be on wet roads Esp. if one is used to ABS.
      sigpic
      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
        IMHO distance won't be much of a factor. However control will be on wet roads Esp. if one is used to ABS.
        Nobody is used to ABS, it's added complexity and cost, for little benefit. Some may say it saves lives, but I say that a practiced J-turn and MOAR throttle may do more good than ABS any day.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

ABS is a big job. I saw the added stuff on 86VickyLX's car and it is a lot of added brake lines and an entire new computer! You have abs pump and added sensors. I'd say do a lot of research on it if you decide to go through with it.

I don't know what type of weather you plan to drive your car in but I have big brakes and rear discs on my car and it stops great in dry weather. I don;t drive the vehicle in snow or anything so I find my braking more than sufficient.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I won't be driving the car in the winter so the only reason for me to put it in would be for occasional rain driving and panic stops.

Comment

I still say do it, only because A. there's only 2 ABS boxes out there right now, and B. you have an entire donor car. Would I do it? Hell no, but that's because I like my cars as simple as possible.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

+1 Do eeeet!

ABS does help for panic stops and will help in wet weather if you can't find the threshold very easy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                  Nobody is used to ABS, it's added complexity and cost, for little benefit. Some may say it saves lives, but I say that a practiced J-turn and MOAR throttle may do more good than ABS any day.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                  I cannot say how wrong you are. 65-70 on a wet highway and some moron cuts you off..... Stomp the pedal and your car will stop straight and avoid the accident. No ABS.... You aren't thinking enough to pump the brakes, wheels lock and the locked up rear brakes cause the rear to start coming around. Crash! (Insert truck tire scene from Tommy Boy)

ABS is one of the best safety features ever put on a car. There is a reason most (maybe all now) cars have it standard.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I guess ABS is gonna happen then.

I've been itching to work on the car again but it's been too cold here for the past few weeks so I just didn't feel like going out there. I've been doing some stuff inside the house though.

I finally finished the signal mirrors. Muth mirrors for a whale gutted fit a box.

Motors cleaned up and lubricated. The 2 pin connector is for signal mirrors.

I also installed Aero/Whale connector for the mirror. It has 6 pins...2 of which can be used for the signal mirrors.

Testing.

Yay!

Oh and since I love LEDs here is another project I've been working on. Box GMQs have 3 tail light bulbs....perfect opportunity to install sequential tail lights. And I might as well go LED. I picked up a wiring harness and LED bulbs for 2010+ Mustang. These are made to work specifically with reflector light housings and they install like regular bulbs. Good thing about these is that they are OEM equipment and can be bought from a Ford dealer. They are pricey though at 60 bucks per bulbs. Used can be found for less.

Hey if I am gonna go LED in the back, I might as well go LED in the front. After some head scratching and doing some research, I found that the bulbs can be disassembled and the LED diodes can be replaced with other colors. 13 bucks spent at DigiKey get your amber LEDs.

Which fit nicely into front turn signals/corner lights. These are dual filament BTW so work like factory.

Comment

very nice

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Badass. Really nice work. Please document the abs swap well. One question though....What is a Muth mirror?

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                        Muth mirrors for a whale gutted fit a box.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Badass. Really nice work. Please document the abs swap well. One question though....What is a Muth mirror?
                          Muth is the company that makes signal mirrors.
                          http://www.muthco.com/

I got a set on Ebay years ago.

Comment

Gotchya. So the next question....how did you get the leds to shine through the mirror?
                            ~David~

Comment

I am wondering the same thing

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Gotchya. So the next question....how did you get the leds to shine through the mirror?
                                The reflective coating that is applied to the mirror glass is partially transparent so the light shines through. I didn't really have to do anything to get the light to shine through. The glass used in box mirrors is not as transparent as Whale and Aero mirrors but still lets enough light through for this to work.

If someone wanted to do this mod for cheap, get a high powered LED strip, cut it to the shape of an arrow and mount from behind the mirror glass. Then just run the wiring to your turn signals.
                                Last edited by Mr Bean; 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X