Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 302 AIR Pipe leak

Hi gents!

On my '89 Crown Vic, the air pipe leaks somewhere behind the engine.

The actual pipe that goes down to the cat, has already been cut short, and the hole welded shut in the cat. Now the pipe still leaks behind the heads.

I read somewhere that the holes in the head are threaded, and I can delete those pipes and plug those holes with bolts? true or false?

How much of a pain in the ars is it to do this?

Pretty sure the intake manifold has to come off, correct? If so, that's fine, it needs valve cover gaskets as well..
    1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria, 302, AOD, 160,000km (99k miles)

To many other Fords to list!

I haven't done this on a Panther, but the old 1981 5.0L V8 truck I had was not threaded. Guess is also depends on whether you have to meet any "air standards". Here in NC, we don't have to meet those strict air standards unless you have a 1996 or later vehicle with OBDII. Even then, they only interrogate the computer to see if you have any "DTCs". Not clear how many DTCs are allowed in certain year models but newer cars can have none.

Comment

We do have emission testing here as well (same exact thing infact for 1996+ vehicles as you) but that air pipe non sense is only used when the engine is cold. So basically useless after it's all warmed up and wouldn't bother an emissions test, unless they would actually check if all that stuff was still there.

Comment

I just removed my airpump and plugged those holes with 13/16 short bolts.
        “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

On my '84 Towncar I cut the pipe where it was broken and then connected it back together with a short length of heater hose and worm clamps.

Comment

I took mine off and cut the pipes off the things that bolt to the heads. My dad pinched the ends and welded them shut. Put the end pieces back on the head to close the holes.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

You can put bolts in the heads (the passages are gonna be really carboned up by now), or take the pipe off and cut it, pinch/weld it shut.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Or, take the pipe off, cut the ends off, flip them over, and bolt them back to the heads to use as blockoff plates. Those holes are probably so carboned up you'll never get the bolt to thread in. Its a pretty fat bolt too, 5/8-NC if memory serves here, and it may not.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the tips fellas! I'm storing the car for winter, so i'll get this done in Spring.

How hard is it to do though? Do I need to remove the intake manifold to gain access?

Comment

Working...
                  X