Sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sluggish

I've noticed that sometimes when I cold start my car and the check engine light comes on, the car runs pretty crappy. It just has no get up and go. I could floor it and it'll take twice as long to get up to speed. But like I said, this only happens sometimes. If i start it and there's no CEL, the ca runs great, with what seems like twice as much power. I'm assuming its an electrical issue, but not sure what. TPS maybe?

Anyone?
    -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
    -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
    -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

read the codes... it will probably tell you what's going on. may be the EGR stuck open (time to clean it) or a myriad of various sensors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, check the codes. Chances are good it will point you in the right direction. Either that or you could just start replacing parts until you get lucky or get poor, whichever happens first. usually one ends up poor.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

With the car being a 94, will autozone be able to read them with their scanner? Or will I have to do it myself?

Comment

Originally posted by 85LincolnTC View Post
          With the car being a 94, will autozone be able to read them with their scanner? Or will I have to do it myself?
          I'm 90% sure autozone will only scan obd2 vehicles which is 96-up, but I could be wrong. Obd1 scanners are much cheaper to buy though.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

if you buy a scanner, oreilly has the LCD display version. much easier to use. don't get the one with just one LED on the face as you can do that by simply shorting a couple pins on the diag connector and counting blinks on the check engine light.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Indeed. The blinky LED kind is a $30 paperclip.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll try the paperclip trick and go from there, just gotta find the sticky for it.
                thanks

Comment

http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/

just look at that... drawings and everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X