RyPow's 1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX - the "Sand Box"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RyPow's 1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX - the "Sand Box"

I figured that after owning the car for two years, it was about time for a proper "official" thread Pictures and miscellaneous work/progress will go here from now on.

Here are links to past threads about the car:

Original thread when I bought the car in June 2011

January 2013 update

When I got the car out of storage, spring 2013
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

No more putting it off - the Sand Box is getting some TLC for the first time in quite a while. I have a habit of taking on more and more new projects instead of sticking to the ones I already have

Yesterday's order from RockAuto:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rockautooct13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1273180

KYB Gas-a-Justs front and back, rear variable rate coils, cap/rotor/wires/plugs/coil (all Motorcraft), TPS and ICM. Everything but the plugs appear to be original on the car, so it's time for some fresh bits. The Moog front HD coils would have had to come from a different warehouse, making the shipping cost prohibitive. I'll just grab them locally, along with a brass TV bushing.

Next will be a new H-pipe, mufflers and PI rear sway bar. I didn't realize until looking under the car last night that the towing package cars didn't have a sway bar from the factory. Nice to see that undercarriage still looking nice and minty though
    Last edited by RyPow; 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM. Reason: rockauto list
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net

Comment

Picked up a brass TV bushing today - well, four of them. They had to order the package of 4, and wouldn't sell them individually. The F3SZ-7H303-B number was good on their system, and comes up as "KIT TRANS". So, if anyone needs one, I have 3 in stock and you can have them for cost plus shipping.

Side note: this is the same dealer that sold my car new

Original dealer badge on my car (P.S. gotta throw the LX badge back on!):
      Last edited by RyPow; 10-09-2013, 01:39 PM.
      RyPow

Comment

there's a link somewhere on here for that bushing and jesus clip for less than a fiver. (more after shipping, but just.)

though you could always post up a for sale for the rest of them if you wanted to. I'm sure there's folks here that would take you up on the offer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          there's a link somewhere on here for that bushing and jesus clip for less than a fiver. (more after shipping, but just.)
          I did some searching for info on the bushing/clip but it seemed most people were getting it from the dealer. Welcome to auto parts prices in Canada...some small bits can be 10x the US price!
          RyPow

Comment

I'll find it again... brb

edit:
            http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00t96117m.htm

they ship to Can... but shipping may be prohibitive.
            Last edited by sly; 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good to know another one is getting rid of the plastic bushing and going with a brass one. All 3 of our AOD's have it.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

The RockAuto order is in. Will try to get everything installed this week.

The non-suspension related package:

Name:	20131010_115459.jpg
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	1273213
                RyPow

Comment

Well other priorities took precedence over installing the RockAuto stuff, but I plan on getting everything done before the dead of winter (have to roll car out of the garage a couple feet to work in front of it).

Just bought these Autopal H4/H1 conversions (two kits, obviously). I did some reading around and the opinions seem mostly positive. They will be installed along with a relay setup and 3G alternator.

'Autopal' H4/H1 conversion for H4651, H4656
                  RyPow

Comment

NOS passenger amber corner and park/turn assemblies (eBay) are on their way Now I need to track down the LH pair.

Name:	87noscorner.JPG
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1273404

Name:	87nosturn.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1273405

The NOS steering wheels on eBay right now are SO enticing - but there are none in my colour. I'm on the hunt for a tan leather-wrapped example.
                    Last edited by RyPow; 11-20-2013, 03:19 PM.
                    RyPow

Comment

eBay was fruitful yesterday - scored these NOS tail light lenses as well. I was going to paint the bezel edges where the chrome has disappeared, but might as well have fresh lenses with no painting required

Name:	87nostail1.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1273409 Click image for larger version

Name:	87nostail2.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1273408
                      RyPow

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                        NOS passenger amber corner and park/turn assemblies (eBay) are on their way Now I need to track down the LH pair.
                        Well the cornering light arrived with a huge crack right through it, so I am in the process of getting a refund. In the meantime, I realized that there are in fact MANY new old stock amber light assemblies available on eBay if you search the part number. They are all listed only under the year of the part number, not the year range of fitment.

So, when it comes out of storage in the spring, every single exterior light lens/assembly on the Sand Box except the rear side markers - but including the backup lamps - will be NOS Can't wait to get them all onto the car, including the H4/H1 conversions!

List of light assembly part numbers correct for '87:

Tail light lenses: E3AZ-13450-A, E3AZ-13451-A

Passenger side front park/turn: E0AZ-13200-A
                        Driver's side front park/turn: E0AZ-13201-A

Passenger corner/side marker: E0AZ-15A201-A
                        Driver's corner/side marker: E0AZ-15A201-B

Driver's reverse lamp assembly: D9AZ-15514-B
                        Passenger reverse lamp assembly: D9AZ-15514-A
                        Last edited by RyPow; 11-28-2013, 11:32 AM.
                        RyPow

Comment

GREAT info for those that need it!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Damn, you got plowed on those bushings. $56???? Really.
                            87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
                            Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
                              Damn, you got plowed on those bushings. $56???? Really.
                              Yup....had to take that one in stride. $14.01 was more than I wanted to pay for a bushing and clip, but it looks like stateside prices at dealerships are creeping up too. I could have hunted around for a cheap deal, but it's a critical part, and it seems like some of the previous cheap avenues are drying up.
                              RyPow

Comment

Working...
                              X