• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1273431

I paid $28+ a few days ago for the new bushing on the 87...I was in shock, figured he meant that was for a bad of 4, not just one - this was at Dick Smith Ford in Columbia, SC (former Pulliam Ford).
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

56 bucks is a lot less than a new/rebuilt AOD! My .02
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
        56 bucks is a lot less than a new/rebuilt AOD! My .02
        ^ this!
        RyPow
        1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
        1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
        2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
        1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
        2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
        2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Nice info on the part numbers. Lenses are one of those things that makes a bigger difference than people realize.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Time to pay some attention to the SandBox in 2014. Installed a new Motorcraft ignition coil the other day and did oil/filter. Gotta finish the TripMinder install - I just need to splice into the cruise harness for VSS and hook up the fuel flow wire I ran through one of the firewall grommets. Then onto the rest of the list for this season. I have everything on-hand besides a bored-out EGR spacer, but we just picked up an old South Bend lathe for the shop that will come in handy for that purpose.

Thorough detailing and wax
            Valve cover gaskets + clean up valve covers in the process
            HO upper/TB
            TFI module, spark wires and TPS (all Motorcraft)
            Variable rate rear springs and HD fronts
            KYB Gas-a-justs
            Coolant change
            H-pipe and mufflers, maybe Lincoln logs while I'm at it
            NOS parking lights, corner lenses and taillight lenses
            MGM woodgrain armrest inserts with front door lamps (maybe).

I'm still looking for a tan leather-wrapped wheel in good condition.

The odometer has not moved on this car in almost 2 years....currently sitting at just over 117,000 kilometres (72700 miles). I haven't driven it since 2012. Now that I'm eligible for classic insurance, that will change.

I finally got rid of the "old fogey sticker" (CAA Plus) on the trunk.
            Last edited by RyPow; 05-01-2014, 11:54 AM.
            RyPow
            1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net

Comment

hellanice ride dude!.... super jealous of your bumpers man keep her clean!
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I finally got my ass in gear and put the Sand Box on the road yesterday. My plate sticker expired in May 2013, and the car wasn't driven since 2012 A trip to the MTO solved that issue. SO awesome to be driving her again! I forgot just how "nimble" the car feels with the SEFI engine and 3.55 gears. Night-and-day compared to the '85 Towny! Needs an '88-91 valve body and shift kit though, the '85 has the edge on shifting because of those improvements.

I took the car out to my shop last night and finally finished the Tripminder installation. I didn't have the Y-harness for the VSS so I removed the signal and ground terminals from the cruise module plug and soldered directly to them (my E3xx Tripminder has the extra ground for the VSS). Tucked my wiring up nicely under the dash and buttoned everything up. The computer works perfectly Now time to impress passengers with some cutting-edge '80s technology
                RyPow

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                    I finally got my ass in gear and put the Sand Box on the road yesterday. My plate sticker expired in May 2013, and the car wasn't driven since 2012 A trip to the MTO solved that issue. SO awesome to be driving her again! I forgot just how "nimble" the car feels with the SEFI engine and 3.55 gears. Night-and-day compared to the '85 Towny! Needs an '88-91 valve body and shift kit though, the '85 has the edge on shifting because of those improvements.

I took the car out to my shop last night and finally finished the Tripminder installation. I didn't have the Y-harness for the VSS so I removed the signal and ground terminals from the cruise module plug and soldered directly to them (my E3xx Tripminder has the extra ground for the VSS). Tucked my wiring up nicely under the dash and buttoned everything up. The computer works perfectly Now time to impress passengers with some cutting-edge '80s technology
                    Your Sand Box literally sounds like the ultimate LTD CV you could get from the factory performance-wise, second only to a cop car. I'm super jealous. Your car comes with most of the desirable go-fast parts stock: True dual exhaust, 3.55 rear gears, Trak-lok diff, HD suspension, HD cooling system, etc. Couple that with the LX trim equipment and your little tweaks & mods for a delcious blend of performance and luxury. Anything beats CFI, but SEFI with all those aforementioned goodies really widens the gulf.

Hope to see more progress with her next summer! Can't wait to see pics of her with turbines. Those are freakin' sweet.
                    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 09-18-2014, 10:45 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the format.
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                      Your Sand Box literally sounds like the ultimate LTD CV you could get from the factory performance-wise, second only to a cop car.
                      The funny thing is that I had no idea it was a towing package car before going to see it in June 2011. Once I saw the duals and checked the axle code on the door sticker (not to mention the fact it was built the same month/year I was born) I had to keep my composure together until I whittled them down on price!

It's relatively unknown, except to the real Panther-heads, just how much the box towing package gave you. It was essentially the "LX Sport" of the box era. The only shortfall with mine is it didn't get the rear swaybar from the factory, although I do have one waiting to go on. It seems that the inclusion of the swaybar varied with the towing package year-to-year.

There is a towing package+load leveling '89 Towny Sig Series with really low mileage for sale about 45min from me right now....I am trying my damndest to resist it.

Anything beats CFI
                      Yes, I'm starting to realize that now with my '85. I asked Mike (previous owner) why he didn't hold out for an '86 with SEFI when he was ordering the car, and it was because the '86 color scheme (grey/grey) wasn't nearly as appealing to him as the white/silver of the '85 which outweighed the version of EFI in his opinion. Not a very big deal....that car is cruising duty only. I'm happy with a Slow ('85) - Medium (Sand Box) - Fast (Tudor) arrangement in my fleet
                      Last edited by RyPow; 09-19-2014, 09:11 AM.
                      RyPow

Comment

Must feel great getting it on the road again. Get that rear swaybar on there and drive the wheels off it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                          Must feel great getting it on the road again. Get that rear swaybar on there and drive the wheels off it.
                          It certainly does. It was a crime to let it sit in the garage that long. I'm having a blast driving it!

My welding repair on the mufflers has failed, which has given the car a surprisingly pleasant tone - I think I will go with Magnaflows in the stock size when I replace the mufflers along with the H-pipe.
                          RyPow

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                            My welding repair on the mufflers has failed, which has given the car a surprisingly pleasant tone - I think I will go with Magnaflows in the stock size when I replace the mufflers along with the H-pipe.
                            Not a bad idea. It's amazing how great the 5.0s can sound while still being emissions legal. One of the few motors that can pull such a feat off! And wow, I don't know how you kept your composure while buying something like this. Knowing you uncovered a well kept and specced out car for a nice price (as opposed to a crack pipe, a la Jalopnik) would make me nuts. Haha.

I know what you mean about color combinations- that's part of the reason why I like the earlier boxes as much as I do. You could get some really cool factory paint schemes. Look at leafsrule's '79 for example. Body color matching interior are a hit or miss with most cars, but the box Townie just pulls it off, every time.

If you're anything like the CFI owners I've seen, you'll eventually carb or SEFI swap it. You seem pretty knowledable with these cars (looks like you do most of your own work too, huge plus) but there's only so much you can do with a toilety fuel delivery system. Flawed by design is the term I'm looking for. I give the CFI two years before it's gone. Haha.
                            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 09-22-2014, 11:50 PM. Reason: Added some context
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

If you're anything like the CFI owners I've seen, you'll eventually carb or SEFI swap it. You seem pretty knowledable with these cars (looks like you do most of your own work too, huge plus) but there's only so much you can do with a toilety fuel delivery system. Flawed by design is the term I'm looking for. I give the CFI two years before it's gone. Haha.
                              The main reason I'm hesitant to go SEFI (wouldn't do carb, I have enough carb on my plate with my barges) on the '85 is because of the extent the PO went to, to maintain the CFI originality. There is NOS everywhere on the CFI unit itself, and it's related components. It starts perfectly cold or hot, idle speeds function as intended, and aside from being the "gutless wonder' we all know it for, it is flawless. I'd sooner put more go-fast into the Sand Box and Tudor than mess with the "authenticity" of the '85.

I picked up an upper-to-lower intake gasket and high-heat primer and satin black for the valve covers yesterday. Already have the PermaDry's on hand. Should happen in the next few days. I haven't bored out the EGR spacer yet, so the HO upper/TB swap will have to wait.
                              Last edited by RyPow; 09-23-2014, 09:53 AM.
                              RyPow

Comment

It was a bit warmer a week ago, so I woke up the Sand Box from it's winter hibernation for a good 30+ minute run. Really has me longing for spring to be here soon! This car needs some love this year.

P.S. this is pretty much the longest car that fits on that side of my garage, due to the basement stairwell at the back.

Last edited by RyPow; 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM.
                                RyPow

Comment

Working...
                                X