Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

original paint color for '85 Colony Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

original paint color for '85 Colony Park?

my door sticker is missing...

a friend is setting up a paint booth in his garage and i offered up the 'wagon for some practice before he sprays his porsche.

thinking i'll stick w/ the original tan/beige color so we don't have to mess w/ door jambs, engine bay, etc...

went ahead and had it media blasted first:

Click image for larger version

Name:	952103423_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1300958

also looking for recommendations re: paint type or mfg.

thanks in advance.

P.S.
    wheels cleaned up pretty nice!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1273184

Comment

My guess would be Light Wheat, color code 6C (or M5939A, I think is Autmotivtouchup's color code).
      http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...85/all-models/

If someone else actually has a 1985 CP they should be able to give you a better answer than my guess.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend using that link to match color based on how the color looks on the screen. You would have to take into account color variations from monitor to monitor and what it looks like on the screen does not always match what it actually looks like on the car, but usually it's close.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-08-2013, 08:29 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Short of paying for a build sheet to find the color code, you might be lucky enough to find the original underneath the passenger seat. Then you'll know for sure. It might be Pastel French Vanilla, but I don't know if that color carried over to 1985, it's in the '84 brochure. As far as what paint to use I would say urethane base/clear. Just avoid a single stage job and you should be fine. I'm no paint expert but I'm not a fan of those slap on enamel jobs. DuPont is good paint but it's not cheap

sigpic

Comment

hey, thanks for the tip!
          didn't know anything about these "build sheets", but found what's left of mine under the driver seat...
          looks like "Sand Beige" it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sinistral View Post
            P.S.
            Yeah they did!

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

hey, thanks for the tip!
              No problem! I'm just glad you found it, they seem to disintegrate over the years. I can't wait to see the pics of the finished wagon, I'm sure it'll look great

sigpic

Comment

P.S.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37419[/ATTACH]
                Wow, did u do the wheels yourself? Would love to know how you did it.
                "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

Since you've taken it all the way down to the bare metal, make sure you put a good etching primer down first. Follow your etching primer with a sealer that way you have a uniform color to put your base/clear over. Good luck, make sure you post pics when you're done!

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
                  Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by papawto8 View Post
                    Wow, did u do the wheels yourself? Would love to know how you did it.
                    nope, media blasted along w/ the car...

Comment

Working...
                    X