Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 GM with snow tires or find a 4WD vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
    Very fascinating... so let me see if I understand this correctly; they replace the spider gears making swapping easier but the gear ratio that's desired (3.73) is changed by replacing the pinion and ring gear. So what I would do if I was going to go with this unit is get the unit and a 3.73 pinion/ring gear correct? I'm doing this for advantage in the snow for now but I'm also planning on putting in a stroker motor down the line. While searching I found this thread - http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19311 and they say the lock right is better to handle HP but it says its a equal to a solid spool axle so I assume its not as good in the snow? Also, if they are that easy to put in, I might as well do that, the ring/pinion gear and seals myself and just rebuild the rear end right?
    The Powertrax No-Slip is meant to be surprisingly different than the Powertrax Lock-Right, which is supposed to perform more like a regular locker, only smoother. There was a discussion somewhere of how the No-Slip was supposed to apply power in a better way whilst turning in nasty weather. IIRC, the discussion went something like this: that a locker (and the Lock-Right) forces both wheels to spin at least as fast as the carrier, meaning the inner wheel is more likely to lose traction from spinning too fast, while the outer wheel is more likely to lose traction from being dragged along faster than the carrier is spinning; conversely, the No-Slip was said to allow the inner wheel to spin slower than the carrier, supposedly making both wheels less likely to lose traction in a turn, even compared to a normal LSD.

Of course, the benefit of either the Lock-Right or the No-Slip of not having to fuss with removing the carrier is somewhat negated if you're swapping gears.

Just to make things even more confusing, Blaze86Vic used to maintain that a gear-type Torsen diff was the way to go, and had various descriptions of maintaining forward thrust just fine even with one tire on dirt or gravel.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks for the replies and help guys!! I already checked and yes studs, chains etc. are allowed here... its nearly mandatory so its not surprising haha. It gets pretty bad here and everyone (including me) feels this is going to be an intense winter. I'm still conflicted on studs but leaning towards not having them; I know most of what I'll run into here is unploughed powder and slush where as it gets icy, but not very often. However, the times the decline path back home will be icy makes me think twice about the studs...

Thanks for the info on the powertrax 1987cp. It might make sense to go with the unit if I was keeping my diff, but like I said I'm swapping out the entire rear end so I'm thinking a trak loc will be the best way to go and get me the furthest for the cost. Those powertrax are pricey too. Either will it will definitely be a while longer before anything with the rear gets done, tires are the priority. I'm probably going to pull one very soon though.

As for those tires on CL I didn't think they'd fit, just thought I'd check, there real cheap. I'm still thinking the winterforce are my best option but I'm seriously considering the Goodyears, if anyone wants to chime in on them feel free.
      1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

If they would fit, id throw my drag radials on for the winter.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

If you do not go with studs, I would say get studless winter tires not studable.

Going in to winter with an open rear you will appreciate the posi when you get it.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I think studless might be the best option for me, and yes thanks for pointing that out Jaywish.. I'll make sure to get studless.

I went to the junkyard for a few hours today. All the CV's/gm's had most of they're rims/tires off. I found a few spares in the 99 CVPI's but only two, and they were pretty nasty. I looked around the huge pile of rims they had and found sets of two and three at the most, but it was just futile after a while to find a decent matching set. Going to give it another look over on C/L for a while. I considered mounting snow's on my AR's, but the price of the tires literally doubles sometimes. Its kind of scary.

I know the offset is 4.5x5 lug, but offset wise I'm looking for zero offset correct? I'm just trying to figure out which rims are compatible with my gm and what other ford rims might work. I saw a lot of Continental rims at the j/y with that Lincoln center plate-http://www.originalwheels.com/lincoln-wheels/images/lincoln-towncar-rims-3271-b.jpg
            but I don't think those will work.
            Last edited by Stealthlead; 10-27-2013, 12:17 AM.
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

I did find these steelies on ebay for $270 shipped
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Steel-Whe...b8edcc&vxp=mtr
              Might be the better option.. they wanted $150 at the j/y, whats another $120. They're for 2000 CV's so I think they'll fit if I'm not mistaken.
              Last edited by Stealthlead; 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that ranger/explorer wheels fit as well. they just have that teardrop look to them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice price. One of my sets I scored for just $200 with good Eagle RS/A tires, but I had to pick them up in person, and I haven't seen a deal that good since.

Comment

Good to hear, it seemed like a good deal to me. I thought it would be better not to bother finding a matching set at the j/y, a lot were rusted/bent/in bad condition.

So just to clarify, those rims will work for my gm and the big brake conversion, and the tire size I am looking for is 215/65r16? I just want to double check before I start putting the cash down.

Comment

Only concern about Lincoln wheels (assuming width and offset are as desired) is that some RWD Lincolns *supposedly* used a different bolt pattern, something like 5 x 4.25". Easy enough to check, though.

Comment

It says 4.5" bolt pattern on the listing which is the same as mine. I'm pretty sure these will fit just fine, still just bothers me a bit they don't have it listed as fitting a 91' GM. They should be the same as the ones in you're sig :p

Comment

Steelies like mine would also look fine on a Diplomat, I'm sure, but I doubt they'd bother to list that either.

I guess knowing what fits your car that was intended for something else is part of why it's called car crafting, not car mail-ordering.
                          Last edited by 1987cp; 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
                            So just to clarify, those rims will work for my gm and the big brake conversion, and the tire size I am looking for is 215/65r16? I just want to double check before I start putting the cash down.
                            They will work with big brakes. OEM size for them is 225/60/16, but a 215/65/16 would work fine.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

225/60 is very widely available, though 215/65 and 235/60 might be on the radar as well if you choose. Some say skinnier is better, but I once had an interest in testing 235/60 snow tires (the 235/60s I've owned were Kumho ASXs, which are IMO nearly worthless in anything nastier than heavy rain).

Comment

Hey guys, I came across these 17" wheels on CL for $200 (set includes lugs) that are from a 2001 Crown Vic, they are supposed to fit boxes too -

I just wanted to make sure they would fit, and the optimal tire size which I think would be around 215/55/17? Tires are abit more expensive but cost is around the same for nicer looking rims.

Comment

Working...
                                X