Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 GM with snow tires or find a 4WD vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they will fit 79-02 panthers all (80-02 Lincolns).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Like we said, anything pre-'03 will be fine. Probably check the stock '01 Sport tire size as a starting point, 225/55/17. Might also consider 235/55/17 and 215/60/17. When I used to shop for Panther tires, I used 27" as my target OD.

You do know how to use the Tire Rack website to check specs such as tire overall diameter, right? SummitRacing.com is maybe even handier, lets you search by things like OD and rim width. (The seller can double-check width for you if he's willing/able to use a tape measure - some aren't.) Then you can pretty much use your imagination in selecting hypothetical tire sizes.
      Last edited by 1987cp; 11-14-2013, 07:44 PM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

There is a set just like those on CVN. The seller is in Florida. Nice wheels.

Comment

Just remember you almost double the price of a tire by going from 15 to 17 inch. You gain some handling, but IMO handling almost goes out the window with a snow tire anyway.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Like we said, anything pre-'03 will be fine. Probably check the stock '01 Sport tire size as a starting point, 225/55/17. Might also consider 235/55/17 and 215/60/17. When I used to shop for Panther tires, I used 27" as my target OD.

You do know how to use the Tire Rack website to check specs such as tire overall diameter, right? SummitRacing.com is maybe even handier, lets you search by things like OD and rim width. (The seller can double-check width for you if he's willing/able to use a tape measure - some aren't.) Then you can pretty much use your imagination in selecting hypothetical tire sizes.
            I was not aware I could do that, thanks! I searched on tire rack for the optional 17" 2001 Crown Vic size which came up as 225/55-17 on tire rack so I guess that was the stock size for the 01 cv that will work with mine too.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            Just remember you almost double the price of a tire by going from 15 to 17 inch. You gain some handling, but IMO handling almost goes out the window with a snow tire anyway.
            I was going from 16"-17" (was originally planning on getting the CVPI steelies). That's what I thought too because it was like $800 for my 18"'s but for the Goodyear WRT's its not that much more, $436 after the rebate so about $120 more, but I'm also saving $70 buying these rims over the steelies from ebay. I like the look of the rims so I don't mind too much. 235/55/17's are $480 after RB, and they don't make the good years in 215/60/17.
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

I went to pick up those wheels today. They are in good shape but unfortunately they don't fit the fronts because the hub is WAY long -

The sport rim inset

my torque thrusts

as far as the sports would go

about an inch more needed

I went ahead and bought them for two reasons though; if I want I can just use a spacer, and also because I'm planning on doing the BB conversion which swaps over the 98+ hubs which will work with these rims with no spacer. I guess I actually have an excuse to spend money now and do the conversion lol
              it also brought up something to my attention, with my torque thrusts because of the ridiculous inset or space where the hub sits, all the weight is on my lug nuts.
              1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

No issue with that, people been running non-hubcentric wheels for years. All but my factory wheels are held by the lugs, or more properly, clamped to the hub by the lugs. ;-)

Alex.

Comment

Ah, gotcha. The member I bought the rims from was suggesting that all the weight on lugs ie. not hubcentric was not a good idea, I kinda felt like that was shenanigans though. Guess all I really need to do now is the big brake, new slotted rotors and snow tires =]

Comment

So since these rub on my front spindles does this mean they are 2003+ rims? They fit on my rear perfectly snug and are hubcentric.

Comment

if the offset is more outboard than centered, yes. If the offset is centered on the wheel, then no. if they are indeed 2001 wheels, then we'll have to revise the compatibility list to be 79-97, 98-02, 03+.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well they sit in further than my AR rims, I'll have to check tomorrow. They do have 2004/07/12 stamped on the inside of the rims, but the seller insists they were manufactured in 2004 but under the old 01-02 design. He's a member on CVN, he's a cool guy and swears they are 2001. With spacers I can still run them just fine though I think...

Looking at pictures of the 98+ spindles/hub assembly it looks like they don't stick out nearly as much.
                        Last edited by Stealthlead; 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

By the way, what happened with the snow tires? Were you planing on these for snows?
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yep, these fanblades are going to be my snow tires. I'm going to do the big brake conversion first so I won't have to use spacers. I decided on Goodyear WRT's.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
                              I went to pick up those wheels today. They are in good shape but unfortunately they don't fit the fronts because the hub is WAY long -
                              Wow! I knew some of the later fleet models, '01 and '02 at least, came with a much flatter style of snap-onto-the-lugs centercap on the regular steel wheels than what I've used, and from that I guessed they probably had less hub protrusion, but I had absolutely NO idea the alloys tapered the opening like that!

Now I feel like I've provided misinformation ... guess it goes to show what you (don't) learn from living in steel-wheel land.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Haha its alright. I'm pretty sure once I do the BB conversion they will fit the fronts just fine, there is a few 98's sitting in the j/y and since it doesn't matter if the parts are from a CV/GM/TC, I should be good with my parts harvesting. The spindles for the 98 look a LOT shorter so I think these fanblades should fit flush on them like they do with my drum brakes.

Worst case scenario I need a spacer.

As for the big brake as I understand ES poly bushings are the way to go with the upper control arms. If I understand correctly you melt out the old rubber/inner shell and keep the outer shell and get the poly ones in. I did it wrong with my lowers.. I melted it out and pounded the inner shell out and sanded the new bushings down ( I didn't have a press) so there is a bit of play. Guess I'll have to redo them later on -.-
                                Last edited by Stealthlead; 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X