Headliner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner questions

Well today on my way to the gym I accidentally poked the ceiling in my car... one thing led to another and after trying to keep the hanging part of the ceiling up I realized it was truly finished its been needing to be replace for a while anyways. So after the gym I took the headliner out in a bout 20 minutes, it really wasn't so bad. I do have quite a few questions though and some pictures.

1. After removing the dome light (which was super easy) I saw this. Does it look like rot or a fire hazard?

2. Can someone please tell me what type of lights these are? I think its the same type as the one in my trunk which I've been trying to replace forever.

3. This fiber type stuff and black plastic either fell out or came out with the headliner. It is super brittle and falls apart when touched. Does it need to be replaced? I figured it serves as a sound dampener or something.

4. As pictured above, my 'sails' or whatever they are need new fabric as well. I'm pretty sure how it works is to remove that star bolt as pictured and slide the lower end of the seat belt and triangular plastic piece through the 'sail'. Just wondering if this is correct and if anyone knows the size of the bolt.

5. I noticed this socket on the passenger side front end. Just curious where it leads and what its usually for if anyone knows.

Picture of how bad the ceiling was -

6. What is the best method to remove the old headliner?

I ended up actually sliding it through the passenger front door as opposed to the rear as I've read. I'm thinking of replacing it with black fabric and painting all the trim black because I'm going to wrap the car matte black. Wondering what you guys think, suggestions appreciated.
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

1. I would guess someone (accidentally) left that map light on, those things get pretty hot.

2. If you're still talking about the map lights, those are the only interior lights I have not replaced w/LEDs (I never use them), so not too sure what bulb they are.

3. 4. and 6. I don't know enough about.

5. Is that plug for the lighted vanity mirrors like the ones in this link?
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      1. I would guess someone (accidentally) left that map light on, those things get pretty hot.

2. If you're still talking about the map lights, those are the only interior lights I have not replaced w/LEDs (I never use them), so not too sure what bulb they are.

3. 4. and 6. I don't know enough about.

5. Is that plug for the lighted vanity mirrors like the ones in this link?
      the answer is yes on #5, that is exactly what the plugs look like on ours.
      "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

On a related note, what kind of box/whale pull a vanity mirror that would utilize that plug from? My passenger side visor was already massacred and I need a new one -.- Also if anyone has access to one of those dome light covers let me know I'll buy it.
        1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

I'm not sure what year the started putting them in the box, but I know for sure that they were an option an all 88-91. My 91 MGM GS even has them, and iirc my Mom's 87 Country Squire had them too, but I'm not entirely sure on the 87 though.

I don't have much aero/whale experience so I'm not sure how easy it would be to swap mirrors from them. Nothing is impossible, it just depends on how much time you want to spend on it.
          I would suspect that maybe 92-94 might swap in but don't know for sure.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-12-2013, 09:16 PM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I can tell you that on my dome light, I continually blew bulbs until I discovered that the metal contacts on the part that you show in the photo were hitting the metal roof. I put electrical tape over it and haven't had an issue since. Good luck.
            87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
            Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
              I can tell you that on my dome light, I continually blew bulbs until I discovered that the metal contacts on the part that you show in the photo were hitting the metal roof. I put electrical tape over it and haven't had an issue since. Good luck.
              Thank you for this suggestion!! I am definitely going to do this. I'd still really like to know the bulb size and best way to remove the old headliner.

Comment

According to a 1988 CV owners manual, the dual map lamp bulbs are #105 and the center dome is a #912. On the headliner, take a dull paint scraper or wide putty knife and scrape all the old foam backing off. On the sail panels, take the front C pillar trim off and disconnect the seat belt. The plastic guide attached to the C pillar Be careful not to crack the panel. The sail panel will slide out Do the same in cleaning the C pillar panel. Get some 3M SUPER duty spray glue (about $15) Get the new headlining material from a upholstery shop. Spray panels well with the spray. Either do it yourself or get one extra person to help you carefully attach the new material to the headliner and sail panels. One person can do this step if you don't have two people. Let dry well before reinstalling. I would buy some new insulation material. Someone here has some nice stuff for sale. You will have to search the posts to find out who it is.
                As far as the size of the bolt I have used my T-50 to remove it.
                The electrical connection on the A pillar is for the driver side lighted vanity mirror. You can get lighted vanity mirrors from 79-91 CV/MGM. The only difference that I have found is the connector/s in the middle. Some years have one, others have two. Whatever car you get the mirrors off of get those pieces. You should do the visors at the same time as the headlining. Many people let an upholstery shop do this job.
                Hope this helps you. Many of the topics are in other posts. It just takes some time searching for them.
                Last edited by Mainemantom; 10-13-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

The best way to remove the headliner material off the board is to use a wire brush in a cordless drill. A air powered dire grinder with a wire brush is the fastest, but not every one has one and you could potentially damage the board if you got too eager. And it makes a bigger mess than the drill method.

You dont have to get the board perfectly smooth, just get all the foam off. Any damaged areas can be reinforced with some wide masking tape on the front and back.

When recovering the board, dont use the 3M spray adhesive, it smells like piss and doesnt hold up to heat too well. industrial contact cement is better, we use a cheap paint gun (dont use a good one, because the glue will ruin it)
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Is there a better brand of adhesive that is in a spray can ? I have just used the Super 3M. with good results however it does smell bad.

Comment

I do marine interiors, we dont use the 3M stuff because it fails after a few weeks. But if it works for you, go ahead and use it. For spray can, we use cans from our upholstery suppliers. I dont know if you have any upholstery supply shops near you. If there is not or they wont sell to you, you might be able to buy a can from a local upholstery shop.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Duce, thanks so much for the help and information!! What do you use to glue the insulation to the roof?

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
                          On a related note, what kind of box/whale pull a vanity mirror that would utilize that plug from? My passenger side visor was already massacred and I need a new one -.- Also if anyone has access to one of those dome light covers let me know I'll buy it.
                          You can get the dome cover at lmctruck.com the part no. is Part # 47-4291 DOME LIGHT LENS-CLEAR $6.95 Each. Shipping was 7.75 for me.
                          "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

Slymer has the self-stick insulation stuff, I bought a box of cutoffs from him, but left the half of it I didn't use for my uncle when the car was painted. It's like a black rubber pad Post #83 on this page: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...hlight=Tatiana
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

and I still have some left too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X