No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim rings along with those caps are my plan. Should look pretty good, I think.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Maybe scuff the trim rings up and let em rust a bit? They'd blend in a bit more. lol.

I ran chrome lugs on the '96s stock 15" steel wheels with no caps for awhile. The plastic full wheel covers would rattle in the cold so I typically left em off in the winter. I wanted old school dog dish caps for it but never found a matching set worth the effort that didn't cost a million dollars. I dunno what I'm going to do for the Panther(s) now, I was going to buy steelies and snow tires for the Lincoln, then I just bought an Audi instead. That's kinda the same thing right? Buy a whole car instead of a set of wheels/tires? Either way it's doing winter duty this year and the rot box Town Car will become my co-worker's winter beater for as long as it lasts.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

LOL, that actually might be part of the problem, the new wheels and tires look too good for the car. I'm still getting used to the new look.
        These wheels, and possibly the tires as well depending on how worn they are, are very likely going on the next car after this one is permanently retired.

Yes, that's kind of the same. I did the opposite and bought wheels and tires instead of a car, and in my case I paid almost as much for the wheels and tires as I did for the car back in 2012. (I know, I've put a lot more into it as a result of the low purchase price but I've owned the car for over 6 years and it was totally worth it in my book. Mainly because I had parts like a good trans and a good engine already.)

I want it to snow now. I'm pretty sure now that I'm prepared the snow will probably done for the winter and winter hasn't even officially started yet. (I'm sure it will come, but would't that be my luck! lol)
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I think this winter is going to be lackluster. Last year by this time we already have several good bouts of snowfall, this is just pathetic.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I just need the snow to hold up until I get around to fixing my snow blower

On topic, I really dig the look of the new wheels!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post

That's not how it works. If you fix the snowblower, you won't need it. You are just tempting fate by not fixing it, you are bound to get a foot of snow tomorrow unless you fix that snowblower.

(I just fixed mine yesterday)
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post

Thanks, now I just need a new body to go with them. LOL

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                That's not how it works. If you fix the snowblower, you won't need it. You are just tempting fate by not fixing it, you are bound to get a foot of snow tomorrow unless you fix that snowblower.

(I just fixed mine yesterday)
                Steve knows. That's exactly how it works.

Still on the road. Mom is borrowing The Scab this week since they had 4 vehicles down this morning. Dad was working on two while I was there today, but I left The Scab in case they need it. I'd rather have them drive that car than this rot box.

I did oil changes on both cars last weekend. While under there I noticed I needed new oil pressure switch. I also noticed that the squealing on startup was the serpentine belt slipping. I watched it and could see that every time it squealed, the belt slowed (could tell by the markings on the belt). 3G alt and the belt that was on there had the adjustment all the way to the end of the alt bracket so new smaller belt was the way I decided to fix it.

This weekend I vacuumed The Ice Car, changed the serpentine belt, and changed the oil pressure switch.
                The belt was a pain to get on. I ended up taking out the lower alt bolt and moving the support brace for the bracket. While removing the brace I thought I saw my distributor move. I thought to myself that it was probably just the dizzy boot, but when I checked to make sure I found that the dizzy was indeed loose... that would explain why it had been running sluggish sometimes the past couple weeks.
                Timed and tightened things down and The Ice Car is running great again. Although it will be parked for the summer soon.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

My Town Car just made another trip to FLA. Bumped timing up to 11 degrees, some times ran 89 octane, seems to do best on gas with 87 though. I need a new oil pressure switch as well, sometimes the light doesn't come on. She burns/uses about a quart per 1000 miles. Runs real good though but I think I might end up selling it this year and move on to something else. I'm certainly kicking that around.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    My Town Car just made another trip to FLA. Bumped timing up to 11 degrees, some times ran 89 octane, seems to do best on gas with 87 though. I need a new oil pressure switch as well, sometimes the light doesn't come on. She burns/uses about a quart per 1000 miles. Runs real good though but I think I might end up selling it this year and move on to something else. I'm certainly kicking that around.
                    Maybe I can convince my co-worker, Will, to buy it. The drive-train would not remain stock for long.

My mileage is much better now, but I also made a ton of 50+ mile long trips over the weekend.

Part of it had to do with an upcoming move. According to google maps I'm moving 4.3 miles from my current place. Not the upgrade I was looking for, but staying at our current place has become not an option.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Parked for the summer, time to let the winter tires rest.

Last weekend I moved, and I now have a shed and a driveway. Everything in the trunk went into the shed. The ride is a bit more harsh with the wagon cargo coils in the rear and no load, but not harsh enough (for me) that I care to do anything about it.
                      At some point this summer I'll have to arrange a way to get The Ice Car home now that I have a driveway.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Sounds like an upgrade to me. A driveway is nice, I love our super long one. Neighbors don't. Ashley's new truck was on jackstands for about a week and the shrew must've bitched. Oh well, I continued to leave it that way for a while longer until I could get to what I needed to do.

Would break my heart to see the original drivetrain yanked on my Town Car or any other mods. Guess I own it for life. I just don't know. Suppose if I got near what I'd like for the thing it wouldn't matter. Plus side to that is one less vehicle to maintain or worry about.

Comment

Broke a tie rod end on The Scab... The Ice Car shall resume DD duty until that gets fixed.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Fixed The Scab on the weekend of 5/25, parked The Ice Car and shortly after noticed I have a new leak on my nice clean new driveway. There were no spots where it was parked wile on DD duty so this is definitely new. Very small quarter sized spot, but it's a new practically white cement driveway.

Drove The Ice Car up to my parents' place over the weekend, cleaned everything on the front of the oil pan and around the crank shaft where I think it's leaking. Ran it for a bit and could see no signs of a leak. Drove the ~50ish mile trip back home and checked today and there is a new quarter size spot under the car (parked slightly forward of previous spot). It's not enough of a leak that I would normally be concerned with, but having a new driveway and a lease that mentions not having leaking vehicles concerns me.

Rot is consuming this car, it needs a replacement this year or next at the latest. If I don't scrape together the funds this year next year should easily be doable (I don't plan on moving 2 years in a row), maybe even something not so rotten.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Take my advice and do not buy more rot, please. You end up chasing your tail and they still fall apart from underneath you. Even if you need to make a 1,000 mile round trip it's still worth it in the end. As long as you Krown or Fluid Film it.

Comment

I actually crawled under to check this leak out. It's not oil, I believe it's power steering fluid. Despite what everyone says I've always used power steering fluid. Looks like the low pressure hose is the culprit. Next time I have it up to my parents' or a friend's place I'll jack it up and work the steering to see if the leak becomes obvious.

I guess the ps fluid picked up oil from the recently replaced (before I moved) leaky oil pressure switch that never got cleaned up. That's why it looked like an oil leak before cleaning things up over this past weekend.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X