PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Sounds like an upgrade to me. A driveway is nice, I love our super long one. Neighbors don't. Ashley's new truck was on jackstands for about a week and the shrew must've bitched. Oh well, I continued to leave it that way for a while longer until I could get to what I needed to do.

Would break my heart to see the original drivetrain yanked on my Town Car or any other mods. Guess I own it for life. I just don't know. Suppose if I got near what I'd like for the thing it wouldn't matter. Plus side to that is one less vehicle to maintain or worry about.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Broke a tie rod end on The Scab... The Ice Car shall resume DD duty until that gets fixed.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Fixed The Scab on the weekend of 5/25, parked The Ice Car and shortly after noticed I have a new leak on my nice clean new driveway. There were no spots where it was parked wile on DD duty so this is definitely new. Very small quarter sized spot, but it's a new practically white cement driveway.

Drove The Ice Car up to my parents' place over the weekend, cleaned everything on the front of the oil pan and around the crank shaft where I think it's leaking. Ran it for a bit and could see no signs of a leak. Drove the ~50ish mile trip back home and checked today and there is a new quarter size spot under the car (parked slightly forward of previous spot). It's not enough of a leak that I would normally be concerned with, but having a new driveway and a lease that mentions not having leaking vehicles concerns me.

Rot is consuming this car, it needs a replacement this year or next at the latest. If I don't scrape together the funds this year next year should easily be doable (I don't plan on moving 2 years in a row), maybe even something not so rotten.
    Vic

~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    Gone but not forgotten:

Take my advice and do not buy more rot, please. You end up chasing your tail and they still fall apart from underneath you. Even if you need to make a 1,000 mile round trip it's still worth it in the end. As long as you Krown or Fluid Film it.

I actually crawled under to check this leak out. It's not oil, I believe it's power steering fluid. Despite what everyone says I've always used power steering fluid. Looks like the low pressure hose is the culprit. Next time I have it up to my parents' or a friend's place I'll jack it up and work the steering to see if the leak becomes obvious.

I guess the ps fluid picked up oil from the recently replaced (before I moved) leaky oil pressure switch that never got cleaned up. That's why it looked like an oil leak before cleaning things up over this past weekend.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Dirty PS fluid looks like oil to me. I religiously use type F ATF in these. For my GMC stuff, I think gadget recommended Mercon/Dexron III I need to flush those out.

But I definitely like being able to differentiate between the fluids so I know what's what when a leak happens. My K1500 has an oil cooler, so a leak towards the front right now could mean oil or PS fluid since they're a similar color and the lines occupy the same general area, especially easy to get things mixed up when the drips hit the ground or have had time to wick onto things and dry out.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

i just use what the manual says to use. The Ferds say F. I know the R&P in my Mark VII felt noticeably better with F vs Dex III. I doubt the steering box models care, though the Towncar was quieter with F vs Dex. New pump was quieter anyway so it might not care about it now either.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Mine have always been quite as long as they have a reasonable level of fluid. Both cars have had seals replaced on the PS pumps in the past few years, I think this one was done 3 years ago.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I've been running dex/merc in mine and it's got the same feel as the old pump with F. Both are quiet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

dex/mer III?

Something that helps them be a bit quieter is Motorkote. I put that in all of those crappy CII pumps.

Yup. Type F is getting hard to find on the shelf around here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Wooord.

Heh, I tend to buy a couple quarts of type F whenever I see it in the Valvoline flavor.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112