PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

You should be able to fit the '98-'02 style tall center caps on a Box, same ones used on some 2WD Rangers. AFAIK all of them use a lug nut with a shoulder on them for the caps to grab onto. Mountaineer caps should fit as well.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

A little more searching tells me you are correct. I'm not at all familiar with whales, but it does look like the '98-'02 caps would fit as you said.
    In the yard last week all I found was (what I assume are) '03+ P71 (Ford steel wheel is probably more accurate) center caps and didn't think to look in the truck section until after I checked out.

I finally drove the car, when I went to dinner, for the first time since putting the tires on this morning. It rode beautifully. Something wasn't right with the balance on the old all seasons, but with the new tires I made it up to 80 on M59 (center lane, still getting passed on the left) without realizing it and few times fully aware.
    The old all seasons are also more worn than thought. I knew they were getting bad so I really needed new tires for winter and that played a big part in deciding to get my first ever set of snow tires.

The left front brake is behaving again. Cleaned everything more thoroughly this time before re-greasing and re-assembling. I used an old bottle brush I keep in my random stuff tool box. The brush has a small bristled wire end intended for cleaning baby bottle nipples and it worked perfectly for cleaning out the rubber slide pin boots.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Yep, flat pancake like, not much room for anything behind them. Luckily I only paid a $1 each for them last week.
    My uncle has a '90s Mountaineer at my parents' place so if I get up there before I get to the yard I could actually test fit the caps. Like you mentioned, I also think those would have plenty of room behind them for the front hubs.

I'm not certain what the problem on the rear is. The P71 caps felt like they weren't grabbing the lug nuts. I didn't think there was anything special about the lug nuts on the whale(s) that I got these caps off of. They looked like the same ones used on box steel wheels, not the short ones used on box turbines. One possibility is the '98-'02 wheels have a narrower center diameter that doesn't allow the caps to sit in far enough to grab the lug nuts. Or, maybe I just need to give the caps a good whack to engage the lug nuts, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. I didn't bother investigating the rear any further after figuring out that the front would never work.

Edit
    Mountaineer caps:
    Attachment 51379 Attachment 51380 Attachment 51381

P71 caps:
    Attachment 51382 Attachment 51383 Attachment 51384
    I was looking into but decided against using those Mountaineer center caps on my car when I big brake swap. The wheels they were mounted on from the factory have a recessed area for the lug nuts. The cap has a design because of this that would make a quarter inch or wider gap on steelies.

I ended up buying a set of these to use when I swap. They'll sit flat with no gap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	51391
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

^^There was a guy on CVN ages ago that ran those on a early Whale Marquis. Looked interesting because they aren't the usual CV/Ranger caps you usually see on them. IIRC the wheels were widened '98-'02 steelies.
    -Steve

1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    I was looking into but decided against using those Mountaineer center caps on my car when I big brake swap. The wheels they were mounted on from the factory have a recessed area for the lug nuts. The cap has a design because of this that would make a quarter inch or wider gap on steelies.

I ended up buying a set of these to use when I swap. They'll sit flat with no gap.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	51391
    I didn't see your post until now, but I went to the closest JY and actually got a set just like that.
    I also grabbed the correct lug nuts that will actually hold these on. The stock box steel wheel lug nuts don't work for holding any of these covers on, they have to be the collared lug nuts.
    These:

Name:	bk6414084-vi.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	51392
    Not these:

Name:	bk6412147-vi.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	51393

With a stock box hub in the front the hub dust cap needed to be modified a little. I did a test fit on a '90 CV with a whale steel wheel so I knew this before leaving the yard. I found that these center caps fit without any issue if the dust cap is removed, so led me to believe the dust cap could be modified. I only needed maybe a couple mm.

Beat up stock cap on the right, modified stock cap on the left. Not exactly precision work pictured here.

And now my wheels aren't naked.

Still need to clean off whatever the installer used that's all over the tires.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I dig the Ice Queen's new steelies & the center caps, looks rugged.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Now all you need is some trim rings. The '98-'02 steelies look good with rings and caps, they aren't a boring looking wheel like the flat '03-'05 wheels.
    -Steve

Hey, that does sound like a good idea. I'm so used to having white walls and full wheel covers that I do feel like something is missing/it's not quite what I'm used to. I think some trim rings would work nicely for the look, but I doubt I will ever get them. I just wanted to make sure my (lug) nuts were covered, lol. Out of sight out of mind, so hopefully nobody will mess with them. I do have McGard keyed lug nuts on each wheel though, but still don't want them out in the open.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I like the look of no center caps but chrome lug nuts. Not sure how trim rings would look with your car but I definitely dig the center cap only look.

Looks nice. to me.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Trim rings along with those caps are my plan. Should look pretty good, I think.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Maybe scuff the trim rings up and let em rust a bit? They'd blend in a bit more. lol.

I ran chrome lugs on the '96s stock 15" steel wheels with no caps for awhile. The plastic full wheel covers would rattle in the cold so I typically left em off in the winter. I wanted old school dog dish caps for it but never found a matching set worth the effort that didn't cost a million dollars. I dunno what I'm going to do for the Panther(s) now, I was going to buy steelies and snow tires for the Lincoln, then I just bought an Audi instead. That's kinda the same thing right? Buy a whole car instead of a set of wheels/tires? Either way it's doing winter duty this year and the rot box Town Car will become my co-worker's winter beater for as long as it lasts.
    -Steve

LOL, that actually might be part of the problem, the new wheels and tires look too good for the car. I'm still getting used to the new look.
    These wheels, and possibly the tires as well depending on how worn they are, are very likely going on the next car after this one is permanently retired.

Yes, that's kind of the same. I did the opposite and bought wheels and tires instead of a car, and in my case I paid almost as much for the wheels and tires as I did for the car back in 2012. (I know, I've put a lot more into it as a result of the low purchase price but I've owned the car for over 6 years and it was totally worth it in my book. Mainly because I had parts like a good trans and a good engine already.)

I want it to snow now. I'm pretty sure now that I'm prepared the snow will probably done for the winter and winter hasn't even officially started yet. (I'm sure it will come, but would't that be my luck! lol)
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I think this winter is going to be lackluster. Last year by this time we already have several good bouts of snowfall, this is just pathetic.

I just need the snow to hold up until I get around to fixing my snow blower

On topic, I really dig the look of the new wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post

That's not how it works. If you fix the snowblower, you won't need it. You are just tempting fate by not fixing it, you are bound to get a foot of snow tomorrow unless you fix that snowblower.

(I just fixed mine yesterday)
    -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post

Thanks, now I just need a new body to go with them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
    That's not how it works. If you fix the snowblower, you won't need it. You are just tempting fate by not fixing it, you are bound to get a foot of snow tomorrow unless you fix that snowblower.

(I just fixed mine yesterday)
    Steve knows. That's exactly how it works.

Still on the road. Mom is borrowing The Scab this week since they had 4 vehicles down this morning. Dad was working on two while I was there today, but I left The Scab in case they need it. I'd rather have them drive that car than this rot box.

I did oil changes on both cars last weekend. While under there I noticed I needed new oil pressure switch. I also noticed that the squealing on startup was the serpentine belt slipping. I watched it and could see that every time it squealed, the belt slowed (could tell by the markings on the belt). 3G alt and the belt that was on there had the adjustment all the way to the end of the alt bracket so new smaller belt was the way I decided to fix it.

This weekend I vacuumed The Ice Car, changed the serpentine belt, and changed the oil pressure switch.
    The belt was a pain to get on. I ended up taking out the lower alt bolt and moving the support brace for the bracket. While removing the brace I thought I saw my distributor move. I thought to myself that it was probably just the dizzy boot, but when I checked to make sure I found that the dizzy was indeed loose... that would explain why it had been running sluggish sometimes the past couple weeks.
    Timed and tightened things down and The Ice Car is running great again. Although it will be parked for the summer soon.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

My Town Car just made another trip to FLA. Bumped timing up to 11 degrees, some times ran 89 octane, seems to do best on gas with 87 though. I need a new oil pressure switch as well, sometimes the light doesn't come on. She burns/uses about a quart per 1000 miles. Runs real good though but I think I might end up selling it this year and move on to something else. I'm certainly kicking that around.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    My Town Car just made another trip to FLA. Bumped timing up to 11 degrees, some times ran 89 octane, seems to do best on gas with 87 though. I need a new oil pressure switch as well, sometimes the light doesn't come on. She burns/uses about a quart per 1000 miles. Runs real good though but I think I might end up selling it this year and move on to something else. I'm certainly kicking that around.
    Maybe I can convince my co-worker, Will, to buy it. The drive-train would not remain stock for long.

My mileage is much better now, but I also made a ton of 50+ mile long trips over the weekend.

Part of it had to do with an upcoming move. According to google maps I'm moving 4.3 miles from my current place. Not the upgrade I was looking for, but staying at our current place has become not an option.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Parked for the summer, time to let the winter tires rest.

Last weekend I moved, and I now have a shed and a driveway. Everything in the trunk went into the shed. The ride is a bit more harsh with the wagon cargo coils in the rear and no load, but not harsh enough (for me) that I care to do anything about it.
    At some point this summer I'll have to arrange a way to get The Ice Car home now that I have a driveway.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast