• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sta-Lube[d], a woman's best friend!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My winter tires finally came in. I got out of work early today and dropped off my wheels to have the tires installed and balanced while I went and took care of stuff at the bank.
      The weather looks perfect for swapping these onto the car tomorrow.

Hmm... 2015 date code (week 30 on three of them, 29 on one). They look brand new so I suppose they have been properly stored in the warehouse.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      I just looked it up, the heat resistance on that stuff is lower than any other caliper slide pin grease I could find... I think I'll go with this stuff next time:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=146&jsn=146
      I ended up getting this instead: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...450317&jsn=306 That drivers side wants to drag still. It wasn't doing it after I put the new rotors on and re-greased the slide pins but has slowly returned to dragging. We replaced pads, calipers and hoses last year. I'll give it a better cleaning and re-grease things while I'm swapping wheels tomorrow.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Winter tires are on.
        The wheels look naked. The hubs stick out too far for the P71 center caps. Next time I'm at the JY I'll have to look around and consider my options. Maybe some 90's Mountaineer center caps would work.

Should have taken a before picture, bur here's the after pic.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

The p71 caps are kinda flat pankcake like correct?

Id say the mountaineer variance will fit. If they are anything like the explorer ones there is a bunch more room underneath.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yep, flat pancake like, not much room for anything behind them. Luckily I only paid a $1 each for them last week.
            My uncle has a '90s Mountaineer at my parents' place so if I get up there before I get to the yard I could actually test fit the caps. Like you mentioned, I also think those would have plenty of room behind them for the front hubs.

I'm not certain what the problem on the rear is. The P71 caps felt like they weren't grabbing the lug nuts. I didn't think there was anything special about the lug nuts on the whale(s) that I got these caps off of. They looked like the same ones used on box steel wheels, not the short ones used on box turbines. One possibility is the '98-'02 wheels have a narrower center diameter that doesn't allow the caps to sit in far enough to grab the lug nuts. Or, maybe I just need to give the caps a good whack to engage the lug nuts, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. I didn't bother investigating the rear any further after figuring out that the front would never work.

Edit
            Mountaineer caps:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1284935 Click image for larger version

Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1284936 Click image for larger version

Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1284937

P71 caps:

Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1284938 Click image for larger version

Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1284939 Click image for larger version

Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1284940
            Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-15-2018, 03:56 PM.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

You should be able to fit the '98-'02 style tall center caps on a Box, same ones used on some 2WD Rangers. AFAIK all of them use a lug nut with a shoulder on them for the caps to grab onto. Mountaineer caps should fit as well.
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

A little more searching tells me you are correct. I'm not at all familiar with whales, but it does look like the '98-'02 caps would fit as you said.
                In the yard last week all I found was (what I assume are) '03+ P71 (Ford steel wheel is probably more accurate) center caps and didn't think to look in the truck section until after I checked out.

I finally drove the car, when I went to dinner, for the first time since putting the tires on this morning. It rode beautifully. Something wasn't right with the balance on the old all seasons, but with the new tires I made it up to 80 on M59 (center lane, still getting passed on the left) without realizing it and few times fully aware.
                The old all seasons are also more worn than thought. I knew they were getting bad so I really needed new tires for winter and that played a big part in deciding to get my first ever set of snow tires.

The left front brake is behaving again. Cleaned everything more thoroughly this time before re-greasing and re-assembling. I used an old bottle brush I keep in my random stuff tool box. The brush has a small bristled wire end intended for cleaning baby bottle nipples and it worked perfectly for cleaning out the rubber slide pin boots.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                  Yep, flat pancake like, not much room for anything behind them. Luckily I only paid a $1 each for them last week.
                  My uncle has a '90s Mountaineer at my parents' place so if I get up there before I get to the yard I could actually test fit the caps. Like you mentioned, I also think those would have plenty of room behind them for the front hubs.

I'm not certain what the problem on the rear is. The P71 caps felt like they weren't grabbing the lug nuts. I didn't think there was anything special about the lug nuts on the whale(s) that I got these caps off of. They looked like the same ones used on box steel wheels, not the short ones used on box turbines. One possibility is the '98-'02 wheels have a narrower center diameter that doesn't allow the caps to sit in far enough to grab the lug nuts. Or, maybe I just need to give the caps a good whack to engage the lug nuts, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. I didn't bother investigating the rear any further after figuring out that the front would never work.

Edit
                  Mountaineer caps:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]51379[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51380[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51381[/ATTACH]

P71 caps:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]51382[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51383[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51384[/ATTACH]
                  I was looking into but decided against using those Mountaineer center caps on my car when I big brake swap. The wheels they were mounted on from the factory have a recessed area for the lug nuts. The cap has a design because of this that would make a quarter inch or wider gap on steelies.

I ended up buying a set of these to use when I swap. They'll sit flat with no gap.

Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1284945
                  —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                  1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                  1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

^^There was a guy on CVN ages ago that ran those on a early Whale Marquis. Looked interesting because they aren't the usual CV/Ranger caps you usually see on them. IIRC the wheels were widened '98-'02 steelies.
                    -Steve

1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                      I was looking into but decided against using those Mountaineer center caps on my car when I big brake swap. The wheels they were mounted on from the factory have a recessed area for the lug nuts. The cap has a design because of this that would make a quarter inch or wider gap on steelies.

I ended up buying a set of these to use when I swap. They'll sit flat with no gap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51391[/ATTACH]
                      I didn't see your post until now, but I went to the closest JY and actually got a set just like that.
                      I also grabbed the correct lug nuts that will actually hold these on. The stock box steel wheel lug nuts don't work for holding any of these covers on, they have to be the collared lug nuts.
                      These:

Name:	bk6414084-vi.jpg
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1284946
                      Not these:

Name:	bk6412147-vi.jpg
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	1284947

With a stock box hub in the front the hub dust cap needed to be modified a little. I did a test fit on a '90 CV with a whale steel wheel so I knew this before leaving the yard. I found that these center caps fit without any issue if the dust cap is removed, so led me to believe the dust cap could be modified. I only needed maybe a couple mm.

Beat up stock cap on the right, modified stock cap on the left. Not exactly precision work pictured here.

And now my wheels aren't naked.

Still need to clean off whatever the installer used that's all over the tires.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I dig the Ice Queen's new steelies & the center caps, looks rugged.

Comment

Now all you need is some trim rings. The '98-'02 steelies look good with rings and caps, they aren't a boring looking wheel like the flat '03-'05 wheels.
                          -Steve

Comment

Hey, that does sound like a good idea. I'm so used to having white walls and full wheel covers that I do feel like something is missing/it's not quite what I'm used to. I think some trim rings would work nicely for the look, but I doubt I will ever get them. I just wanted to make sure my (lug) nuts were covered, lol. Out of sight out of mind, so hopefully nobody will mess with them. I do have McGard keyed lug nuts on each wheel though, but still don't want them out in the open.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I like the look of no center caps but chrome lug nuts. Not sure how trim rings would look with your car but I definitely dig the center cap only look.

Comment

Looks nice. to me.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X