VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Perhaps I could convince you to help with a 3G alternator swap someday?? WHere are pics of the older boxes???
    It wouldn't take much to convince me to help out with a 3G swap. I still owe Hearsesrock427 some wire measurements for a few different charge wire routing options.

Pics of my older boxes?
    I have a few of my 89 in my profile. As far as I know I don't have any pictures of my 88 wagon, although if I found someone with a copy of my high school year book there is a picture of it in there. The 87 CV the only picture I know of is the one from when I was 17 and it was in the ditch with the driver side rear door smashed in. You may have seen the pic of the 87, and 17 year old me, at our meet.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      It wouldn't take much to convince me to help out with a 3G swap. I still owe Hearsesrock427 some wire measurements for a few different charge wire routing options.

Pics of my older boxes?
      I have a few of my 89 in my profile. As far as I know I don't have any pictures of my 88 wagon, although if I found someone with a copy of my high school year book there is a picture of it in there. The 87 CV the only picture I know of is the one from when I was 17 and it was in the ditch with the driver side rear door smashed in. You may have seen the pic of the 87, and 17 year old me, at our meet.
      Sweet, just name your price. I've read the stickies and stuff but whenever I do custom stuff (and things I've never done before) I like having a friend handy to help save me from myself haha.

I did not see this '87. I like the toned down taillights of the 88-91 stuff but love the harder front end lines of the 87 and older cars. You still have the 89 right?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Aye. I've got nearly all the costs for our business mapped out on an Excel spreadsheet. Literally the only thing missing from it is the charge wire cost.

I even got the estimated fuel costs mapped out. My best ever MPG that I can recall was a little over 16, driving super smooth at a contant speed on backroads late last summer. (Went 75 miles and used exactly a quarter tank aka 4.5 gallons. Which comes out to ~16.3 MPG). I figure having a full exhaust instead of open headers, a new dizzy cap & rotor, fresh timing optimized for the new parts, and driving late at night, I should crack 17 easily. Range should be around ~286 miles per tank under ideal conditions. The trip is 320 miles one way, so I'll definitely need to grab some straight 87 gas either just before crossing into Canada or just after. Assuming it's $3.50 per gallon of straight 87, I'll need about ~$176 for gas. But it's smart to budget for things like tolls, WOT runs, having to drive out of the way to get straight 87, etc. I'll just set aside $300 and call it good.

Looking at mid July for all of this to happen.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        You still have the 89 right?
        Yep, he does. It's patiently awaiting some TLC and go-fast parts.
        Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-19-2015, 12:18 PM. Reason: Added some context.
        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Pics of my older boxes?
          Well, Vic, if you ever come to South Florida, you can do the 3G conversion on my '87 GM!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yep still have the 89, I drove it across my parents yard a few weeks ago when dad was moving all the vehicles to the other side of the property. It's really not worth restoring but I'm still dreaming of it. It helps that my wife likes the car and would like to see it restored.

Bob, you mean to tell me none of the highly qualified mangs here have hooked you up with a 3G conversion yet? Unfortunately I doubt I will be in Florida any time within the next few years, but if that changes I'll definitely let you know.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yep still have the 89, I drove it across my parents yard a few weeks ago when dad was moving all the vehicles to the other side of the property. It's really not worth restoring but I'm still dreaming of it. It helps that my wife likes the car and would like to see it restored.

Bob, you mean to tell me none of the highly qualified mangs here have hooked you up with a 3G conversion yet? Unfortunately I doubt I will be in Florida any time within the next few years, but if that changes I'll definitely let you know.
              Vic, no one close enough to help and I'm not really up to playing with it myself!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I like the blue leds. I wanna do that too, did you just change the lightbulbs behind the dash?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
                1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
                1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
                1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
                2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
                1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

Comment

For the 2000 P71 cluster it took quite a bit of work to make blue LEDs work. Since the blue does not shine through the light filter stuff I had to remove the needles, peel the gauge faces off, and then with a dremel bit I sanded (on the backside, of course) all the areas I wanted the blue light to shine through. Then I had to put it all back together and re align the needles. It all turned out great but it's a lot of tedious work.

For the 90-94 MGM/90-91 CV blue can be done as a direct swap of bulbs but other colors such as red require the same procedure to make it work (see BuffaloRider's 1990 MGM, Bison, for an example of red LEDs).

For 89 and older there are plastic filter caps that can be removed much easier than the painted on crap the newer units have.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-20-2015, 01:16 PM.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I got a 97 CV, but I know I won't be spending time to file, scrape or peel anything off. Do you know if I can just simply swap bulbs in a 97?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

From what I've seen of the 97 CV cluster it is basically the same as the 2000 P71 CV cluster I have. I'm fairly certain it would be the same involved procedure to make blue or red work with the 97 CV cluster.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thanks alot. Looks like it stays the way it is....

Comment

Originally posted by Shayenne View Post
                          Thanks alot. Looks like it stays the way it is....

Aeros have blue filters on the cluster, 98+ are green.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                          1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Interesting, so using Blue LEDs would work on a 97 or older cluster without all the time consuming work required for 98+ clusters?
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

as long as you can stand it. I took my blue lights out, it was hurting my eyes too much. I'm back to stock lamps for now, waiting on some warm white LEDs to come in. I'm hoping to retain the stock green color.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

those warm white LEDs from Superbrightleds.com work great in stock clusters. I put a set in a coworker's 98 ranger. Worked like a charm. Everything was nice and bright but not obnoxious and was able to be dimmed some too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X