No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C didn't work anyway, and I haven't had A/C in any of my vehicles in at least 5 years.

Just let me know. I'm sure I could borrow dad's engine stand and hoist for the project.

It runs great, I'll drive this one this winter. The Scab can stay on Summer DD duty if the engine keeps going, otherwise The engine in The Ice Car should be set for a few years.

Body rot has set in something fierce on this car but I don't have to worry about some jackhole running into me and messing it up. Of course that sort of thing only happens to nice cars anyway.

Now time to start on the Yukon that was supposed to be done earlier this year...
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-14-2016, 12:32 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

They aren't super difficult systems to troubleshoot! If you did all that you can refurb an A/C system.. Typically it's just a compressor and the air drier/receiver assembly thing. Leeast that's all it has been for my stuff.

Sweet, it probably won't be any time soon but nice to have some pieces of the puzzle figured out...
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Had the day off today, so I went up to my parents' place to get The Ice Car ready to come home. It seems this car was not on the same page with me.

I may have run it out of gas on the way to town to get gas... it stalled as I came to a stop. That's when I started thinking I must not have as much gas as I thought. I started it again and it ran enough to make the turn then stalled again. The gauge is accurate; E means Empty but I'm used to E meaning a few miles should be no problem. If there was enough gas then I have some other problem to track down.

I coasted into a very large driveway at a farm (at least as wide as a tractor trailer length). Trying to start the car was resulting in only clicking. Low battery? The guy that was there and his son came with their pickup trucks and we tried jump starting but no luck. My uncle who was hunting at mom and dad's place came to help and we decided to go back to the house about 5 miles away and get the battery out of The Scab. I also grabbed 5 gallons of gas dad had at the house (should have done that before I left the first time, but then I probably would have been stuck at the gas station about 8 miles from the house).

Back to The Ice Car and still clicking with The Scab's battery. So maybe it's not the battery. The solenoid on the starter was clicking as was the fender mounted solenoid. So those seem to be engaging like they should. Tried whacking the starter with a hammer but no luck. So my uncle towed me back to the house. It was too dark and late to screw with it anymore, so battery back in The Scab and back home I went.

I'll be back up to mom and dad's place for a rematch on Saturday. My 4 year old nephew who lives with us, and named this car, was very excited to bring this car home. He really likes The Ice Car for some reason.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-16-2016, 12:55 AM.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I'd check the connections and such, dirty ones have caused the same issue with another F-150 we had. Clickity click click despite good battery. Unless of course the starter is dead...

Comment

You revived the car! Awesome. You sure you don't want to change your name to MarqGrandMarq?

Hopefully you can resolve the starting/running issue...
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

It's a play on my name. Besides, once I get my dream box panther my screen name will fit the car better.

New starter did the trick and the 4 year old one that came out is still under warranty. Hopefully this car should be coming home tomorrow and The Scab can take a break for the winter.

Now I can focus on fixing stuff that I was meaning to get to eventually before I stopped driving this car earlier this year.

Oh, and the car performed very well, although I only went on a 10 mile test drive.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-18-2016, 11:48 PM.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

20 mile test drive with a couple of stops along the way today. Restarts after stopping for gas and then again for lunch were problem free.

When the starter died Tuesday night I started to doubt the battery and charging system before I narrowed the problem down to the 4 year old starter. So today I checked it out and all is good. 14.4V at idle, 14.2V with heat on full blast, 14.1V with heat on full blast and headlights on, and 13.5V engine off no lights or accessories on.

Made the 50+ mile trip home with a stop a couple miles from home and no problems.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I had the '90 TC fan shroud sitting around for over a year maybe going on 2. It finally went in with the good engine, and I finally got around to swapping in a '90 TC air cleaner box and later style windshield washer reservoir this past weekend.

The stock windshield washer had plenty of corrosion at the pump connector and has always had issues. After sitting since April it was back to not working, but with the new pump and wiring/connectors it works every time.

Installing that stuff forced me to finally move my remote mount TFI to a better location:
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Hmm. I may just have to break down and get a '90 aircleaner and all the bits to swap over to my box.

Comment

You'll also need an inner fender... or some way to secure the air box.

I happen to have 2 more fan shrouds with coolant overflow and another '90 TC air box and tube. I also have a windshield washer reservoir but no wiring to go with it.

Although, if you want to upgrade your engine down the road, a newer air box with larger inlet and outlet with a larger tube might be a better investment.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Are the stickers & such minty?

There was a really nice smashed '90 at US Auto a while back. I pulled the dizzy and that was it. Should've pulled all that other stuff from it too. Will the factory harness from our car's washer pump reach to the new location?

I would like to upgrade the engine. 302 HO for me, just need a cheep donor. Ashley and I are going to Florida in about a month so who know, we might either turn one of those up or another old F series truck, 97-98 Rustang 3.8, Cadillac Brougham or Fleetwood Brougham or 1990 TC...

Comment

I didn't pay too much attention to the stickers, I think they were good, I'll have to get some pics for you.

I should have checked the inventory at US when I went yard hopping last weekend. I would have stopped there if I knew there was a '90 TC.

There is a really nice white '01 MGM from SC at PG on 8 mile. Damn shame I keep finding cars in better shape than mine (bodywise, I'm sure they end up there for some simple mechanical issue) in the junk yards... I think you could yank the inner fender from that if it fits your car better than the '90+ TC inner fender; I'm not sure which would be a better donor.

Good luck in FL.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Word. Everything on that car save for the driver's door panel is minty, stuff replacing stuff must be in said condition Car is too nice for me. Someone should buy it off me.

Oh, this was probably early on in the summer. I think now that shroud was busted but the Lincoln Logs were there.

Hmm, we are set to go there this weekend I think. We were at the yards last weekend for parts gathering for our "new" F250. Only yard we didn't hit, well that and Ryan's.

Thanks, that's probably what we're looking forward to most haha.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                              There is a really nice white '91 MGM from SC at PG on 8 mile.
                              Oops, I meant '91 not '01.

What!? You have a car for sale?

I started in Flat Rock and hit all 3 PG locations working my way north last weekend. I went to FR for the 2 '90 TCs. Lincoln logs are still there.

Oh, and 8 Mile has a CV wagon. Front sway bar was still there. The Mercury wagon in FR I think already had the front sway bar missing. If you're interested in that kind of thing. Both had the passenger side fender brace missing, but driver side was there on both but a bit rusty. Didn't think to check for a rear sway bar.

I'll be way again this weekend, so probably no JY for me this week.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-02-2016, 02:48 PM.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Passenger side fender braces are missing because of battery removal. In the yards I frequent they are either torched off or cut.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X