VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Now if I could just get around to completing that heater core write up...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post

lol, in the game "Sonic and Knuckles" for Sega Genesis if you are playing knuckles and don't move for a while he will take that stance tapping his toe waiting for the player to do something.
      If things are not dry enough to put back together I will see about working on the writeup tonight.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Woah you guys had some water.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good to see the Merc was spared.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Is the water still high?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

At my place the water was down the next morning. Some of the local highways are still closed though.
              My carpet is dry but the insulation/padding is still damp.

I also found some paperwork, while cleaning out the car, under the carpet and under the driver's seat:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140812_190743619_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1276195Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140812_200805427_HDR.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1276196Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140812_200817543_HDR.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1276197Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140812_203131442.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1276198
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Damn dude, Michigan just can't seem to get a break. I'm glad the damage wasn't any worse.
                I know what you mean about your heater core write up... I've been the same way about the timing chain write up that I said I'd do months ago...

Comment

Got something delivered for the car today, I wasn't expecting it until Monday.
                  It's not in mint condition but it's good enough for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38920[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38921[/ATTACH]
                  Alright, time to probe your brain a little.

What was involved in swapping over the 6-digit odometer?
                  1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                    Damn dude, Michigan just can't seem to get a break. I'm glad the damage wasn't any worse.
                    I know what you mean about your heater core write up... I've been the same way about the timing chain write up that I said I'd do months ago...
                    As far as I can tell there were no electrical connections that were submerged. I don't have a power seat on the passenger side, and even if I had ditch cornering lights the water wasn't high enough to reach those. All the under car electrical at the fuel pump and trans and such should have been high enough to stay dry. Other than a little squealing from the brakes, I haven't noticed any issues but will be keeping an eye on things.

As far as the writeup, it didn't help that my first attempt to compile my experience into one document was hosed when the file became corrupted... that won't happen again though.
                    Also trying to include as much accurate detail as possible makes the job itself quicker than documenting it. My wife always complains that I'm a perfectionist... pft, far from it, I just like things to be right that's all.
                    She'll say:
                    "Everything doesn't have to be perfect, you know?"
                    and my response:
                    "I know, but it should at least be right."
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Keep those build sheets. The electrical test sheet I have not seen before.

At my place the water was down the next morning. Some of the local highways are still closed though.
                      My carpet is dry but the insulation/padding is still damp.

I also found some paperwork, while cleaning out the car, under the carpet and under the driver's seat:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]40653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40654[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40655[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40656[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
                        Alright, time to probe your brain a little.

What was involved in swapping over the 6-digit odometer?
                        It was a straight forward direct swap, but I don't think I have the part# for the 6-digit odometer.
                        I got the odometer from mcninetyone, he could probably tell you what the part# is or may even be able to get one for you.

Once you have the 6 screws out to remove the face, pry the temp and fuel gauge up, then pull the speedo out of the housing.
                        On the back of the speedo the odo and trip-odo are each held in by two screws, and the motors that run them are held in by the plastic housing.
                        Be carefully prying the motor out, I didn't have any issue with the tabs breaking but they are 20+ year old plastic.
                        While you're in there make sure to replace the odo gears since they have most likely turned to crumbling wax if they are original.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          Keep those build sheets. The electrical test sheet I have not seen before.
                          The electrical test sheet was under the carpet and padding under the front passenger seat. The sheet with the big block letters indicating different options was under the carpet and padding under the driver seat. The more complete build sheet was tucked in the thin metal seat cushion supports on the underside of the driver seat.

I already scanned the documents to my computer but will be holding on to these originals.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Well, considering my odometer doesn't work... :p

Thanks for easing my concerns a bit. Sounds pretty simple. Soon, my 93 will have Certified Calibration.
                            1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Actually (don't know why I didn't think of this last night) I could take a look at my spare 85MPH unit and get some pics for you.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Things were dry yesterday after letting everything sit out in the sun all day, everything is back together now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140814_185651378_HDR.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1276208Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140814_190640403.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1276209Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140814_191438900.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1276210

I really should have vacuumed the the carpet while it was out of the car.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X