At wit's end!!! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At wit's end!!! :(

Well, I seriously don't know what going on with my coolant system.

It seems I have no pressure i nthe system.

I changed the coolant (winterized)

Changed to thermostat (and the small hose that goes with it)

Yet, the heater is not blowing as hot as it should

I check if the vacuum canister is holding a vacuum, it does. The vacuum hose that goes with it is sucking.

Yet the heater has no heat!!!!! Well no, the heat is there but not the hotness (max) that it should be

The Thermal block loacout switch is byppased. The vacuum hoses that went to it are SEPARATELY CAPPED OFF

I left the swtich in there cause the wires still going to it.

I finally took that wire harness off and crossed the wires. BUT I LEFT THE SWITCH IN. What I had noticed is that the coolant seemed to be leaking from the switch. I will have to go and buy a plastic hose connector.

BUT WHAT GIVES?!?!?!?!??!?!!?? The AC works, if I put in on cold, its great, just that the heater sucks!!!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

clogged heater core maybe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Reach/look behind your glovebox door for a fat clearish vacuum hose going to a round metal silvery doodad attached to the duct-work under there. Pull the hose off the round thing, and you might just get rip roaring heat. That is the blend door control, if you have ATC climate control, the temperature sniffer goes bad and wont let the system make heat.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

86vicky just changed my heater core last this past summer

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

so if I pull clearish hose, and I din't get ripping heat, then the atc sniffer is bad???

What could remedy a clogged heating core?!?!?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

if you pull the hose off the big can and DO get heat, the "ambient air temp sensor" under the dash pad is bad.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ok, so no matter how high the heat is, the ambient sensor is bad? I am a little confused. Should I pull the hose while the thermostat is on heat?? What is the right way to check?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

with the car warmed up and heater running. If it's blowing cool air and you remove that hose from the big can behind the glove box and you get good heat, the sensor needs replacing. If you don't get heat, something has jammed the blend door to cold, the blend door is broken, the blend door actuator (the big can) is stuck/bad, the heater core is clogged, or something else I haven't thought of.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

With the car warmed up, put your hands on both heater hoses, if one's hot and one's not, the core is clogged, if they're both cold you have an air bubble in the system. If you have no pressure, top off the reservoir and rev the engine, you'll see the upper hose collapse, this means there's air in the system, the system will suck the coolant in and push out the air. The system will then build pressure, and you should have heat.

Comment

+1 on the possibility of a clogged heater core.

When I got my 91 MGM last year the heat was not warm.
                    After flushing the heater core the heat was nice and hot for a little while. Once it stopped being warm again I flushed the heater core and the entire cooling system but still the heat was not warm.
                    I tore into the dash this weekend and could feel that the inlet+outlet hoses on the heater core were BOTH HOT, but no heat in the cabin still. I figured it was the blend door actuator until I realized that was in the correct position.
                    Since flushing the heater core while it was in the car didn't seem to work last time, I pulled it out and ran the garden hose and shook it up to get the crud loose. I probably did this about a dozen times since each time I shook it more crap came out.
                    Now my heat works great.

Of course this is a rather time consuming task and I seem to remember it being more tedious on the 89- cars.

For flushing the core I had a good end from a busted garden hose, about a foot long, that I could screw right to the hose. The piece of garden hose was small enough to fit snugly into the heater hose on the core.
                    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Oh I am dreading this now, I really am. I am really hoping not. I will try these tests .

JUst an additional thing. I unhooked the wires and vacuum hoses to the TBL that runs in the heater hose line, but the actual switch is still there. Would that switch be hindering flow???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

As for the no pressure in the cooling system like you describe, I would follow what 86VickyLX said. I don't have any good ideas on that other than to say when you remove the radiator cap when the coolant is hot it should behave just as you are expecting it to after your 70mile drive from work that you mentioned in another thread.

The engine doesn't seem to have any issues with running too hot does it?
                        And this might be a long-shot but how old is the water pump? Is it pumping? They are NOT known to break in a way that would cause them to not pump as far as I know but I always try to expect the unexpected.

Also that Thermal Blower Lockout switch will not hinder coolant flow the heater core on its own, it's basically just an inline temp sensor.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The clear hose should *not* suck. No vacuum = full hot. Vacuum = cold. Pull the clear line off of the can under the dash and see if it gets hot. If it does, its the air temp sensor. They're almost all bad at this point, so its no real surprise. I think mine has been changed at least twice now. The one that I pulled out was bad, and it had a 1990s manufacture date on it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you put the selector switch in any position but "floor" the switch you are asking about is bypassed. So it is an easy test.

The 2 vacuum hoses from the temp switch, are they plugged?
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I hope this is not hijacking the thread...
                              I met my wife (we have been married over 30 years) when some mutial friends suggested to her that I could fix her no heat situation in her Pinto.
                              I told her that this might not work and that it might make a big mess, but it wouldn't cost anything.
                              Neither of us had any money.
                              What i did on the hope that it was a clogged heater core was disconnect the two heater core hoses from the firewall.
                              Replace one of the heater core hoses with a section of garden hose connected to the garden faucet near the driveway of the house I was living in at the time and turned on the faucet.
                              A big clump of crap shot out of the other end of the heater core outlet when the faucet was turned on.
                              I reconnected the heater core hoses. The heater core stayed intact (OMG).
                              She had heat and we were married eighteen months later.

Comment

Working...
                              X