X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Porschpow

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
    At wit's end!!!

Wits End is only a couple hours from me, how long you going to be there? Maybe we could meet up?

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ok, great. Can you , are you suppose to use rtv for:

intake (plenumnb gasket)
        egr throttle body gasket?
        fitting that connectsegr coolant hose to lower intake rear drivers side?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

nope... those all stay dry. General rule is gaskets get RTV if it's a liquid seal (oil/water) and air/exhaust stay dry.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

OK, so changed all the vacuum hoses under intake, changed egr coolant hoses, cleaned up and put new gasket for the egr coolant (didn't remove), and bam! done, doesn't leak to my visual, left the rad cap opened, burping air, did that for 20-30 minutes, still left cap off, and to my surprise (sarcastic), coolant was spilling over. WTF!!!!!!! I mean i have heat, pretty good, both heater hoses hot, coolant egr hoses hot, but no pressure. Shouldn't you be able to have coolant blasting out of filler neck, where the freak is the pressure, am i going nuts

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

oops, i put a little rtvon the egr coolant throttle body gasket and intaske plenum, is this a bad thing?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

update pumped 15 psi in system, seeing no leaks and in 5-10 minutes i lost 3 psi

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

My oil is good, coolant doesn't bubble or move around, i just have no pressure in the system. i checked all the hoses. I don't know where else to turn to

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

1) When car is cold, fill rad with coolant.
                    Fill coolant bottle to cold line.
                    Replace cap.
                    Run car up to temp with heat on.
                    Run car in first gear for a block or so, to get air out.
                    Let cool completely.
                    check coolant bottle, if at cold line go to step 2. If below cold line repeat step 1.

2) Take note of exact level of coolant in overflow bottle.(use a flashlight)
                    Run the car in gear with heat off, until well hot.
                    Park car, shut off and monitor the overflow bottle.
                    unless it is cold out, the level in the bottle should rise temporarily above the cold line until the engine cools completely and sucks the fluid back in the bottle.
                    If this is what happens, everything is working correctly. It is the pressure that forced the coolant into the overflow bottle. Don't worry be happy and stop reading.

Though if it is really cold out the pressure in the engine side of the system may not build up enough pressure to exceed the rating of the pressure cap. In which case you will not see a rise in the coolant bottle.
                    When the engine is cold, check the level in the radiator. if the rad is full then everything is ok.
                    If you need more proof, when car is cold, remove cap.
                    Start motor let run in gear with heat off.
                    Eventually the rad will start to overflow. Shut off car.
                    Let cool, top off fluid and replace rad cap.

The fluid that came out is your proof. That shows that hot fluid expands. When it expands there are only two possibilities.
                    The first possibility is that no pressure is being built up because fluid exits the system. If this is the case you would constantly be loosing coolant.
                    The second possibility is that the hot fluid is trying to expand and the system is keeping it from expanding by building up pressure.
                    This pressure is normally contained by the radiator cap unless the pressure exceeds the cap rating, then the fluid goes into the overflow bottle temporarily.
                    When the coolant cools, it contracts, creating a vacuum which sucks the fluid back out of the bottle into the radiator & engine.
                    Last edited by jaywish; 11-10-2013, 02:30 PM.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

lack of/non-existent coolant pressure

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      1) When car is cold, fill rad with coolant.
                      Fill coolant bottle to cold line.
                      Replace cap.
                      Run car up to temp with heat on.
                      Run car in first gear for a block or so, to get air out.
                      Let cool completely.
                      check coolant bottle, if at cold line go to step 2. If below cold line repeat step 1.

2) Take note of exact level of coolant in overflow bottle.(use a flashlight)
                      Run the car in gear with heat off, until well hot.
                      Park car, shut off and monitor the overflow bottle.
                      unless it is cold out, the level in the bottle should rise temporarily above the cold line until the engine cools completely and sucks the fluid back in the bottle.
                      If this is what happens, everything is working correctly. It is the pressure that forced the coolant into the overflow bottle. Don't worry be happy and stop reading.

Though if it is really cold out the pressure in the engine side of the system may not build up enough pressure to exceed the rating of the pressure cap. In which case you will not see a rise in the coolant bottle.
                      When the engine is cold, check the level in the radiator. if the rad is full then everything is ok.
                      If you need more proof, when car is cold, remove cap.
                      Start motor let run in gear with heat off.
                      Eventually the rad will start to overflow. Shut off car.
                      Let cool, top off fluid and replace rad cap.

The fluid that came out is your proof. That shows that hot fluid expands. When it expands there are only two possibilities.
                      The first possibility is that no pressure is being built up because fluid exits the system. If this is the case you would constantly be loosing coolant.
                      The second possibility is that the hot fluid is trying to expand and the system is keeping it from expanding by building up pressure.
                      This pressure is normally contained by the radiator cap unless the pressure exceeds the cap rating, then the fluid goes into the overflow bottle temporarily.
                      When the coolant cools, it contracts, creating a vacuum which sucks the fluid back out of the bottle into the radiator & engine.
                      I did that, i burped the system Jay. Even with motor running highway use, i parked the car and with car running i took off the radiator cap, coolant wasn't overflowing and i see the coolant level is full and the resevoir/overflow tank is on the cold level, not hot. I see there was a little movement in the radiator. I had an ir temp gun, the temp of the radiator filler cap area was 90 degrees, the upper radiator hose was 160 and by the thermostat 190. the top of the engine intake manifold was 160.

I didn't notice the overflow resvoir tank coolant level increasing or decreasing

I am seriously out of ideas. No clue what is going on

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You have to take the cap off with the engine cold. It should be full to the top. Then run the car in gear, heater off. The coolant will overflow . (Unless it is really cold out)
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

it was 48-57 degrees out today, the coolant wasn't overflowingthe heater was off. the coolant just was staying at the same level, wasn't overflowing

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                            oops, i put a little rtvon the egr coolant throttle body gasket and intaske plenum, is this a bad thing?
                            not really, but if you ever have to remove them... don't be surprised if it makes a royal mess and you have to spend a few hours cleaning the surfaces.

Comment

yeah this is true.

its already been done. thanks

I am just getting fed up with this coolant pressure thing

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

if its not losing coolant and you have heat, don't worry about it.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X