Modified Aftermarket Throttle Body for [Box] Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified Aftermarket Throttle Body for [Box] Panthers

This is how I went about mod'ing the Trick Flow 75mm throttle body for the sbf engines.

In this picture you can see the mod'd TB. The TFS TB and the stock Panther TB have similar setups except that the throttle body lever is bolted to the TFS unit and the stock throttle body lever is riveted. 1st step is unscrewing the 2 nuts holding the stock throttle blade to the shaft. Then you twist the throttle to WOT. When you have done this, grasp the throttle blade and pull it out from the rear.

Now get some carb cleaner and spray the stock TB shaft. Remove the TPS (if not done already) and lightly hammer the throttle shaft down until you can't get the hammer any further. Then you will need to pull the shaft from the bottom of the TB. It might be difficult to move with all of the varnish. It will come out eventually.

Once you have removed the shaft, you will need to grind the rivet/welded portion down to the throttle lever, being careful not to remove the material on the lever itself. When you have done that, you will need a hammer and a punch of some sort (pictured). Now you will need to locate the shaft section within the throttle lever material (not easy to do). I had to have my father find it, as I was pounding off center. Carefully whack away until the throttle shaft falls out of the lever.

Now take your TFS (or whatever brand you get) TB and unbolt the shaft from the TB (you will need to remove the TB blade before doing this). Remove the lever and replace with the stock lever you just removed. Shove the shaft back into the TB and install the throttle blade. Hook up your TPS and there you go.

Packman
    Last edited by packman; 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I found the IAC for the '96 F4TE lying on the garage floor (not paved; only dirt) over the weekend. I don't remember taking it off,; unless it was removed and placed on top of the engine when I got it. I looked at it and realized that it would clear the EGR delete plate mounting flange for the throttle body cable bracket. The stock IAC would not clear the plate as it would hit the top bolt/mount. I ended up cutting the top bolt hole out to gain clearance. Had I found this earlier, I wouldn't have had to do that work; and the plate would look nicer (ugly cut).

Packman

Comment

So I got a Lokar Ford AOD Hi-Tech Kickdown kit to replace the 28 year old TV cable for the CV. After staring blankly at it Saturday night, I realized that the retainer at the end of the cable comes off. So I was able to slide the kickdown mounting bracket off of the cable and replace it with 2 washers. One washer will mount in the back of the stock throttle/TV cable bracket and the other goes onthe inside to hold the cable in place. I will use elastic stop nuts to secure the cable. The other end that connects to the throttle body lever has a screw and a lock nut to hold it to the lever. I screwed it into the bushing to see how tight it is and it's tight. I will take it back out and remove the bushing, replace it with a couple washers, and screw it back into place. It looks like this may work. I will get pics of what I think may work.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          So I got a Lokar Ford AOD Hi-Tech Kickdown kit to replace the 28 year old TV cable for the CV. After staring blankly at it Saturday night, I realized that the retainer at the end of the cable comes off. So I was able to slide the kickdown mounting bracket off of the cable and replace it with 2 washers. One washer will mount in the back of the stock throttle/TV cable bracket and the other goes onthe inside to hold the cable in place. I will use elastic stop nuts to secure the cable. The other end that connects to the throttle body lever has a screw and a lock nut to hold it to the lever. I screwed it into the bushing to see how tight it is and it's tight. I will take it back out and remove the bushing, replace it with a couple washers, and screw it back into place. It looks like this may work. I will get pics of what I think may work.

Packman

The other end (not pictured) connects to the transmission itself. There are instructions on setting the cable and adjusting the pressure. Hopefully this works out; that way we may have options when dealing with old TV cables.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            The stock IAC would not clear the plate as it would hit the top bolt/mount. I ended up cutting the top bolt hole out to gain clearance. Had I found this earlier, I wouldn't have had to do that work; and the plate would look nicer (ugly cut).
            Tomco makes an IAC spacer plate for IACs that dont clear egr (since they have a 1 size fits all ford v8s replacement iac)

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              Tomco makes an IAC spacer plate for IACs that dont clear egr (since they have a 1 size fits all ford v8s replacement iac)

Alex.
              As I discovered to my surprise, the '96 F-250 (where my engine came from) IAC clears the EGR plate. It points down and is shorter in length.

Packman

Comment

Nice work!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Oh okay, I just found that plate on another forum. Yeah, that will definitely come in handy if the engine doesn't want to idle with the IAC. Just bypass it all together.

Packman

Comment

i'm leary of those lokar cable setups. tried them and have a strong dislike.........in my opinion you are better off sourcing a good used tv cable

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

don't mean to poop on your parade mang, looks good otherwise

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        i'm leary of those lokar cable setups. tried them and have a strong dislike.........in my opinion you are better off sourcing a good used tv cable
                        Why's that? Any particular reason?

'93 T-bird
                        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                        '88 Mark VII
                        '86 CV

Comment

cable hardware is crap and the cable stretches

also on a carbed setup the geometry is not right without an adaptor that lokar does not make.

Comment

I am thinking of doing that as a backup and also source the brass bushings as well. Especially if the Lokar cables are prone to stretching. The JY I go to cuts the cables and just about anything that prevents them from yanking the engine out of the vehicle. Hopefully they have some new and untouched Panthers this Spring.

Packman

Comment

don't mean to poop on your parade mang, looks good otherwise
                              Triumph the Dog never apologized; neither should you. This is good practical information. I'd rather be warned by you than getting that phone call from my mom saying she's stuck in Camden and I need to come and get her. If the natives don't hurt me, she probably would. :o

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X