PI intake swap on my TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI intake swap on my TC

Alright guys. My town car has been having a rough idle issue and is giving lean codes. So what I plan on doing for it in the near future is a PI intake swap and while I'm doing that I will be replacing other parts with new. I also hope that while I'm tearing into it I can get more access to the top o2 sensors to replace them as well.

I'm going to follow the sticky for this swap and there's a couple of other threads about it in mustang forums to provide more pictures etc.

I plan to get some parts from local yards so any 2001+ 4.6 will have PI intake, coolant tube, nipple, and anything else right? I also plan on replacing water pump, spark plugs, and cleaning the injectors while I'm in there.

One big question I have is will I need a tune for just the intake? I may plan a pi cam swap sometime soon too I have read that the pi cams will work with npi heads is this true?

I'm kinda on a tight budget so expensive parts like the intake will be used from a yard, while cheap stuff like coolant tube I'd prefer new. I am doing this swap now because I still have the plastic crossover tubed intake and I do notice a change in idle when spraying wd40 around intake so I'm thinking its leaking. Plus my o2 sensors are throwing codes and I hope to free up space to get them changed though I doubt it will help much. They're so tight back there!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Anyone know where I can buy the heater return line? Or more importantly the pi water pump nipple? I could most likely get a used line from the yard but I'm afraid I may damage the nipple tapping it out and I can't find them anywhere
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Got the swap done today, all went well first try with no intake leaks. Used pi gaskets and blue rtv around coolant jackets. Was able to clean I lot of parts up and will doing the o2's tomorrow. I did notice that I have a slight miss now though. Probably a bad connection on a cop or injector ill look at it tomorrow. Very well could be an injector because all of my connectors to them were so brittle the clips broke right off. Will a miss cause a code right away so I can tell which cylinder to look at?

Comment

if the miss is total, but a minor miss probably won't.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Fixed the miss this morning, my cylinder 2 injector connector got vibrated off because the plastic clip broke. I fixed it with a zip tie and all is good now no miss or any leaks with the new intake. My exhaust tone is better sounding and i have more power

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm glad I could help! I hope it runs like a boss now!

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
              X