Newbie from the UK! Be gentle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from the UK! Be gentle..

Hi everyone! Finally found a forum for the mercury! My names Steve and I live in the UK (the land of rain and dullness) and I am a truck mechanic by trade, so swinging a hammer at stuff isnt a problem!

I bought a 1989 Grand marquis LS in 2010 and its a great car! Fuel is expensive here but Id rather drive this gas guzzler than a toyota hybrid!

I have many other projects, of which I'll post up pictures once I find an image hosting website that works!

Enjoy!
    1976 Manta B coupe
    1987 Manta 16v Hatch
    1978 Series 3 Ambulance
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Welcome to the site! Looking good man, tell those little cars "get out the way!" I can't tell if it's black or a really dark blue. Is she you're daily driver?

Comment

Hi Sutty2006

A warm welcome from a southern softy down in Burnham-On-Sea, Somerset. Gas is made to be burnt so burn as much as you can

Shame you didn't join last month as one of my cars was Panther of the month

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Welcome!
        Nice looking car you have there, I wish my cars looked that good.
        There are at least 2 other members on here from the UK that are online regularly.

Edit: as you can see Dereck is one that I was thinking of. When you get a chance checkout andyfanshawe's meticulous work, it's quite impressive.

Originally posted by sutty2006 View Post
        I bought a 1989 Grand marquis LS in 2010 and its a great car! Fuel is expensive here but Id rather drive this gas guzzler than a toyota hybrid! ...
        Where I'm from, about 22miles/35km north of Detroit, this is pretty common to hear, but even in the state of Michigan the farther from Detroit I get the more imports I see.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-06-2013, 01:00 PM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes so far!

I used to use it daily, when I worked 1.5 miles from my house! I tried using it every day when I changed jobs but each day used £20 of fuel.... so I use a diesel mondeo instead, and use the Mercury for going out in, when I feel like it

I think the colour is called Twilight Blue.... as Ive recently had some body work done, too keep that rust away!

I do a lot of local shows with this car, it usually gets parked next to something small......

As part of a local car club, we tend to meet up before a show...so we can all go together

dereck, nice to see someone else from the UK!
          1976 Manta B coupe
          1987 Manta 16v Hatch
          1978 Series 3 Ambulance
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Comment

This is another project I have. Its a 1987 Opel Manta. I bought this back in 2007 before it got scrapped. Its been through a lot of work, including 2 engine changes! It now has a 2.0 16valve engine fitted on standard injection system. (I wanted to keep it on carbs but they are getting hard to find, especially the right set up).

Last dyno run saw 147 Bhp, but at the time it was running badly... Ive yet to take it for another run, but by the improvements over last time I recon it will see 160 Bhp easily. Not bad for something that was going to be scrapped!
            1976 Manta B coupe
            1987 Manta 16v Hatch
            1978 Series 3 Ambulance
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Comment

Welcome to the site!! Opels are cool cars. Had an Opel Cadette B (1.1L) 4 Speed several years ago that a friend "dumped" on me for less than $200. It had great gas mileage and ran forever until an idiot totaled it. It was a 1971 model and copper colored. Got a photo of it someplace and will post it if/when I find it. Thanks for keeping that Merc "alive" "across the pond", as they say!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Make that KadettClick image for larger version

Name:	Opel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1273349...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Welcome to the site! Cool cars...........I'm a big fan of the show "Wheeler Dealers"........i chuckle everytime Ed says "aluminum" lol............
                  Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Nice car. After reading this tread, I keep thinking about that old top gear episode, where Clarkson talks about importing American iron to the UK. They showed F series trucks and some '88-'89 grand marquis'

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Welcome! It's good to see more Panther rep in the UK
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                        Welcome to the site! Cool cars...........I'm a big fan of the show "Wheeler Dealers"........i chuckle everytime Ed says "aluminum" lol............
                        I love that show!

'93 T-bird
                        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                        '88 Mark VII
                        '86 CV

Comment

Howdy!

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                          Nice car. After reading this tread, I keep thinking about that old top gear episode, where Clarkson talks about importing American iron to the UK. They showed F series trucks and some '88-'89 grand marquis'
                          I saw that. $500 to ship them from FL to the UK? No wonder folks did it.

Pete
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Hi Piece-it pete

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post

I saw that. $500 to ship them from FL to the UK?
                            It used to be but I dare say it has gone up a little by now, also there are a whole load of dock charges to pay when it arrives here last time I imported a car those charges amounted to another $800 and then dont forget the HMRC (our equivalent to your IRS) want 30% in import taxes.

Regards

Dereck
                            President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Yeah Its not cheep to import from the US, There are companies that will do the whole thing for you, from picking the car up, to delivering it to your door. Id say around £2000 is the kind of money (sorry, not sure what the exchange rate is!) to do it.

I plan on coming over, maybe next year, to source some hard to find parts and hopefully go to some car shows/meets and things like that. My dream is to fly there and buy a car.... use it for a few weeks then ship it home or sell it on! Not that good at organising though, hahaha!
                              1976 Manta B coupe
                              1987 Manta 16v Hatch
                              1978 Series 3 Ambulance
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Comment

Working...
                              X