No announcement yet.

Newbie from the UK! Be gentle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Lone Star State, and Welcome.

As for buying a car, I'm sure there is some one here that can help with that, and if you make it to the Houston area, give me a shout.

I see in your sig that you have an Ambulance. That's cool, I'm part of a group that restores Emergency Vehicles.

Here is my 91 Crown Vic police car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Century (FL) Police 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1273356Click image for larger version

Name:	Century (FL) Police 02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1273357
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Hi Sutty2006

Originally posted by sutty2006 View Post
      My dream is to fly there and buy a car.... use it for a few weeks then ship it home or sell it on! Not that good at organising though, hahaha!

I've done that and it's not as easy as it at first seems.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Welcome! I get a perverse pleasure imagining (or even seeing videos of...) these boats being squeezed through crowded British streets. It's a tight enough squeeze in downtown Toronto.

Any plans for it? Repairs? Mods?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Cheers
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by watchdog View Post
            Greetings from the Lone Star State, and Welcome.

As for buying a car, I'm sure there is some one here that can help with that, and if you make it to the Houston area, give me a shout.

I see in your sig that you have an Ambulance. That's cool, I'm part of a group that restores Emergency Vehicles.

Here is my 91 Crown Vic police car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37756[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37757[/ATTACH]
            Love that Police car.... thats the kind of motor that got me into the Grand Marquis in the first place. Big, square, saloon shaped car... love it!

This is my Ambulance. Its Ex British army and was made in 1978. It last served in Cyprus and left service in 2001! Genuine 42k and has never been welded (but will need some soon!) It belongs to me and my dad.

And this is my daily driver. 2.2 Turbo diesel. Does around 45-50 mpg and holds up well in a bad crash.

Plans with the Mercury....

Keep it in tip top form. Theres a few jobs that need doing

1 - I think theres a Vacuum leak behind the dash binicle.
            2 - Speedo cable is dry on the tacho, so need to lube that up
            3 - first two jobs can be done when I figure out how to get the light switch off!
            4 - Door seals are shot, I need new ones! (or decent second hand ones!)
            5 - Need new tyres, struggling to get white wall tyres
            6 - Going to get the steering wheel recovered as its worn out on the top
            7 - Enjoy it as much as possible!

Driving it on these roads isnt that bad. I can park this old girl where people cant park a euro trash can... its easy to manuver, and easy to see all four corners.... Its just a pain when I try and take a junction too quick in the wet and end up sending the back end out....... which can be fun most times! haha
            1976 Manta B coupe
            1987 Manta 16v Hatch
            1978 Series 3 Ambulance
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Comment

I LOL'D at "euro trash can"

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Thats all they are now. Planet saving tin cans. Id rather pay to run the Mercury than drive a new shoe box!
                1976 Manta B coupe
                1987 Manta 16v Hatch
                1978 Series 3 Ambulance
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Comment

Here you go!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by sutty2006 View Post
                    Love that Police car.... thats the kind of motor that got me into the Grand Marquis in the first place. Big, square, saloon shaped car... love it!

This is my Ambulance. Its Ex British army and was made in 1978. It last served in Cyprus and left service in 2001! Genuine 42k and has never been welded (but will need some soon!) It belongs to me and my dad.

And this is my daily driver. 2.2 Turbo diesel. Does around 45-50 mpg and holds up well in a bad crash.

Plans with the Mercury....

Keep it in tip top form. Theres a few jobs that need doing

1 - I think theres a Vacuum leak behind the dash binicle.
                    2 - Speedo cable is dry on the tacho, so need to lube that up
                    3 - first two jobs can be done when I figure out how to get the light switch off!
                    4 - Door seals are shot, I need new ones! (or decent second hand ones!)
                    5 - Need new tyres, struggling to get white wall tyres
                    6 - Going to get the steering wheel recovered as its worn out on the top
                    7 - Enjoy it as much as possible!

Driving it on these roads isnt that bad. I can park this old girl where people cant park a euro trash can... its easy to manuver, and easy to see all four corners.... Its just a pain when I try and take a junction too quick in the wet and end up sending the back end out....... which can be fun most times! haha
                    Nice, it's a Landie. Always did like those.

As for the light switch, if you pull the knob out and then look on the back side of it you'll see a little notch. Sometimes you can see a little tab in there but if you can't, don't worry, it's there. just use a pic, test light probe, very small screw driver or anything else small enough to fit and push the tab. the light knob should slide off then. To replace, just push back on.

If you make it down here we'll get some Texas BBQ.
                    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by watchdog View Post
                      Nice, it's a Landie. Always did like those.

As for the light switch, if you pull the knob out and then look on the back side of it you'll see a little notch. Sometimes you can see a little tab in there but if you can't, don't worry, it's there. just use a pic, test light probe, very small screw driver or anything else small enough to fit and push the tab. the light knob should slide off then. To replace, just push back on.

If you make it down here we'll get some Texas BBQ.
                      Shes a stubburn old girl, is the Landy. Drives like...... well....... a Landy? Steering whats always going the wrong direction. Underpowered 2.25L engine that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Great in the snow, will go anywhere even in two wheel drive! But when it breaks, it breaks..... and is a pain to repair, sometimes its easier to fix the mercury!

Cheers for the advice on the headlight switch, If I get chance I'll have a look at it over the weekend. And cheers for the BBQ offer, love a good BBQ!
                      1976 Manta B coupe
                      1987 Manta 16v Hatch
                      1978 Series 3 Ambulance
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      2006 Mondeo ST TDCi

Comment

Welcome to GMN from the oldest part of the new world!
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X