master cyl/booster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

master cyl/booster.

Hey guys. The brake booster on my 89 GM is leaking. I am eventually going to put a stick in the car. What I'm asking is, is there a later master/booster assy that is pretty much a direct bolt into my car? I figure the masters got some mileage on it, so I might as well do it as a whole assy.

MIKE

IIRC, '89 used the updated style master cylinder (versus the dual-reservoir versions used through '87, anyway). I also recall it handling the holdoff and residual valving differently than earlier models.

Is there a particular kind of change you're looking for in the master cylinder? The stockers are cheap and seem to work well for most people. For me, the real failing in the brake system was the early style multifunctional distribution block mounted way down on the framerail where you can't reach it, but I don't think your car used that one.

turbo2256b has a Wilwood master cylinder, but I'm not sure which one and I don't remember what other modifications he made to his brake system (i.e. aftermarket multipiston calipers).
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

you want the 90s booster. its smaller diameter and gives you room to run the clutch. Non-ABS boosters bolt to the stock MC. No appreciable difference in the MC other than the valving. If you are not changing the brakes, do not mess with the valving.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Get a 92+ p71 booster. If your brakes are still factory, just run a stock 89 replacement master, it will bolt right up to the newer style booster.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks, Guys.
          MIKE

Comment

The smaller diameter booster is thicker, so you may have to carefully adjust the lines to mate up. Its a dual diaphragm design. I forget the measurements offhand but its something like single 12" vs dual 10" or something. More total surface area on the dual setup so it actually has more assist.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, Gadget. Now, do I want A.B.S., or non A.B.S.?

Comment

non-abs.

Comment

Working...
                X