No announcement yet.

TL's new winter DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, true. I splashed diesel on my leg at an old job once, and found myself quite desperate to change my sock by lunchtime!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My Dad had the mechanically injected DT 466 (in house International diesel) in his '87 IH 1900S rebuilt, and we started it for the first time on Saturday afternoon. New sleeves, pistons, bearings, had the head rebuilt, all new hoses and such. The original had 300K on it. He did have the injectors "hot rodded" a bit, as well as the pump turned up. It was originally rated at 175 hp; probably closer to 200 now, which is a subtaintial gain for the changes made.

The DT466 engines are inline 6s. I was thinking of this thread when we were wrapping it up, though. The injector lines are kind of bizarre, indeed! This thing is especially old school, though, with the mechanical injection; you have to manually shut the fuel off to shut it down. Alternatively, the damn thing will run without electrical. I am pretty ignorant about diesels, but they certainly have alot of nuances, and neat engineering that gasoline engines do not.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

This thing is mechanically injected. It does have an electronic fuel cutoff. Have you ever seen any vids of "runaway diesels"? Makes me want to put a manual valve in somewhere. I have no plans to mod this other than to increase reliability or simplicity at this point, so injectors and pump tuning stay stock for now. I knew nothing about diesels before this so it's been a good learning experience so far.

I did more work on this the other day. Went to put in a new water pump and ran into a hiccup with the fan clutch on the water pump. I ended up pulling the water pump with the fan, clutch, and pulley wheel still attached to it. Seems I need a specific wrench to pull this apart. Anyhow, the water pump shaft has some crazy play in it, like 1/4" crazy. I am surprised it held up as long as it did. I am contemplating running an electric fan(s) instead.

I did spend a lot of time under the truck, too. A lot of surprises under there, and all of them not good surprises. I will get back to this later.
        Last edited by torquelover; 12-03-2013, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
          Have you ever seen any vids of "runaway diesels"? Makes me want to put a manual valve in somewhere.
          Diesel "runaway" is caused by burning engine oil through a leaky turbo seal, not a faulty fuel system. You can shut the fuel right off and they'll keep going, and going, and going. Best protection against runaway is a butterfly valve in the air intake (which may have been what you meant), or a CO2 tank piped into the intake (purge the intake of oxygen = stop combustion).
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
            Best protection against runaway is a butterfly valve in the air intake (which may have been what you meant), or a CO2 tank piped into the intake (purge the intake of oxygen = stop combustion).
            Yes, a remote valve, as reaching over an engine running way past it's rated RPM is not my idea of a good time. I'm not familiar with modern semis, but I hear they have a fail safe of some sort set up.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              Yes, a remote valve, as reaching over an engine running way past it's rated RPM is not my idea of a good time.
              Mine neither! I wasn't sure if you meant a remote valve for fuel or the air intake. I believe the modern fail-safe is a shutter in the air intake. A dry-type fire extinguisher does the trick too, apparently.
              RyPow
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
              2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
              1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
              2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
              2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Working...
              X