Oil Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filters

What brand of oil filters do you guys/gals use? I have a Mustang friend that swears by the Motorcraft FL-1A (D9AZ-6731-A) filter. I have been using WIX and NAPA Gold filters since I got the CV, but the car is stock. For something more performance oriented, I am uncertain if I should stick to what I have been using. I don't want to start a war (if that's possible for oil filters), just want some input. Thanks

Packman

The NAPA Gold is a good filter. I haven't heard anything bad about it. It also has a silicon ADBV.

It's also made by WIX. The ole FL-1A has a rubber ADBV.

Silicon is supposedly better as it holds it shape better and seals better.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Nothing but 1A's here.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Purolator Classic or Fram Toughgards.

Alex.

Comment

motorcraft only on mine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've used most of the major brands. The NCSHP used whatever they could get a good deal on. The 5.8s have an oil cooler so the stock FL-300 is what I use if I have them. The State ran mostly Fram PH-43 or anything they could get a truck load deal on. I personally don't like the Fram filter. So, this might be a good time to ask if anyone has tried the FL-400 or equivalent (in a pinch?). The thread size and specs are almost identical to the FL-1 and FL-300. If I had room for an FL-1A, I'd run it.

Comment

I use wix (51515 or a 51068 with an oil cooler) napa gold is made by wix , never had any problems

Comment

My G.M., and the wife's Durango both get the FL-1A.

Comment

FL-1A is the only one i use on my car.
                  2018 F150 XLT 43k
                  1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
                  1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

AC Delco on the fiancee's Sebring, my C-1500 and the GM.

'93 T-bird
                    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                    '88 Mark VII
                    '86 CV

Comment

Not well enough to do my own oil changes but I get dealer coupons and STILL get my Motorcraft filters.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I usually don't care what kind I get, as long as it has a rubber piece on the bottom so it's easier to take off.

Are there any particular oil filters that one should avoid?

Comment

Lately, FRAM's have been known to suck. I am sure there are other losers so I hope for others here to chime in.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Supertech wal-mart filters. Put one on dad's car several years ago and it rattled like hell everytime it was started.
                            Changed the oil a few weeks later to try to remedy the situation. Found out the oil filter was missing it's ADBV. They never put one in. Shows how high their quality standards are.
                            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Hi

Mann WL920/45 for all my modular engines

Regards

Dereck
                              Last edited by Dereck; 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM.
                              President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Working...
                              X