New guy from Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy from Indiana

Howdy fellas. Long time Panther fan and I just acquired another one. Imagine that! I've been a Lincoln nut since a kid, so couldn't pass up this 52,000 mile, one-owner original Cartier. Looking forward to getting to know people here, learn even more about the platform and contributing to others. I am awaiting arrival from Colorado. Enjoy a few photos of this beast below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545495849.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1301074Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545615066.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1301082Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545587470.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1301081Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545583496.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1301080Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545565034.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1301079Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545556493.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1301078Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545541506.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1301077Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545529922.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1301076Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545502832.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1301075Click image for larger version

Name:	1379545658831.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1301083
    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Great pics! Very nice Lincoln you found. I always loved the Cartier editions. I don't know fellas, this looks like it could considered for POTM consideration.

Comment

Looks good....how does it run???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks P72. Wasn't really looking for a box model, but when I saw this one, I gave into temptation and couldn't bear to let someone else have it. Only thing I need to tackle so far is a warped glove box door. Didn't see any posts about that so hoping someone has dealt with it and knows the tricks to fix it.
        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          Looks good....how does it run???
          I have not driven it personally, but did have someone "in the know" go inspect and drive it before I purchased. He said the car drove like brand new and could not believe how flawless that it was. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
          Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM.
          Nick

Comment

Now this really confused me at first - I saw your username and thought "what the hell? Doesn't he have over 2000 posts??"

.....then I realized that's on thelincolnforum.net, and you just joined GMN Apparently I'm not awake yet today!

Welcome to the Panther side of things. Your Cartier looks great!! Definitely show-worthy. So the '87 seats are the same pattern but full leather instead of the cloth panels? I do envy your SEFI power. I learned to accept the CFI motor in Mike's car just due to the incredible condition of everything else.

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt
            when I saw this one, I gave into temptation and couldn't bear to let someone else have it
            That's exactly what happened to me when I went to see Mike's car! I couldn't live with losing out on the opportunity!
            Last edited by RyPow; 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM.
            RyPow
            1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
            1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
            2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
            1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
            2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
            2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
              Now this really confused me at first - I saw your username and thought "what the hell? Doesn't he have over 2000 posts??"

.....then I realized that's on thelincolnforum.net, and you just joined GMN Apparently I'm not awake yet today!

Welcome to the Panther side of things. Your Cartier looks great!! Definitely show-worthy. So the '87 seats are the same pattern but full leather instead of the cloth panels? I do envy your SEFI power. I learned to accept the CFI motor in Mike's car just due to the incredible condition of everything else.

That's exactly what happened to me when I went to see Mike's car! I couldn't live with losing out on the opportunity!
              Haha, got to keep you on your toes. Figured that I would fit in a bit better here as not much gets discussed about 80's models over at TLF.net. I'll still participate there, though, just in case a '67 appears.

I'm not really new to Panthers. I've actually owned several over the years and just can't get enough of them. They're great cars. I am stoked that I found a Cartier and one this nice is a rare thing.

As for the '87 Cartier seat patterns, you could get either leather/cloth combo or full leather. Fortunately mine has the full leather. That would be my preference.

If I would have found a perfect '84 Cartier, I would have been all over it, but understand that the SEFI is definitely the preferred power house so I was focusing on 86+. I am considering doing a HO conversion, but the car is untouched so I am conflicted.

You sure got a special car from Mike. I'd be afraid to drive that car! It's too nice, if that is possible! Hope you enjoy it.
              Nick

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                I'm not really new to Panthers. I've actually owned several over the years and just can't get enough of them. They're great cars. I am stoked that I found a Cartier and one this nice is a rare thing.
                That's true, I saw that picture of your '84 Cartier on TLF that "started it all" for you. I should have said "welcome to the Panther forum side of things" Yes, your car is a beautiful survivor. A well-kept original car is a rare find indeed, so it seems like you have scored bigtime! That's a nice interior colour too, very "bold."

My first foray into Panthers was a 2002 Grand Marquis LS. I should never have sold it. I got scared by the 2008 gas price spike and let it go. I promised myself I would own another Panther one day - now I have two

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt
                You sure got a special car from Mike. I'd be afraid to drive that car! It's too nice, if that is possible! Hope you enjoy it.
                Thanks It was painful having to park it right away and not drive it until the spring (they have started spraying the brine on bridges and hills here already). I'm certainly not going to rack up the miles, but I'll frequent the local shows. It's going to be fun to see people's reactions to it. Every time I go near it in the garage I'm petrified that I'm going to scratch it somehow!
                RyPow
                1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net

Comment

My first foray into Panthers was a 2002 Grand Marquis LS. I should never have sold it. I got scared by the 2008 gas price spike and let it go.
                  That reminds me of all those people who say our cars are gas guzzlers. Haha. I got 27mpg with my 96 TCs. Seems pretty respectable to me for a full size car. I had a 2001 Mountaineer AWD V8 during the 2008 gas crisis. Now, that was something to be afraid of with $4.29/gal gas! I parked that SOB and bought something else.

It was painful having to park it right away and not drive it until the spring (they have started spraying the brine on bridges and hills here already). I'm certainly not going to rack up the miles, but I'll frequent the local shows. It's going to be fun to see people's reactions to it. Every time I go near it in the garage I'm petrified that I'm going to scratch it somehow!
                  I'd be afraid too! You know Mike will shit himself if you ding it! I probably will not be racking up miles on mine either. Unfortunately, I purchased it at the worst time of the year, right when everything starts to get shitty outside. I'm sure there's plenty I can do in the garage while it is parked, however.
                  Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM.
                  Nick

Comment

Welcome!
                    Definitely a nice looking car.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I am considering doing a HO conversion, but the car is untouched so I am conflicted.
                      That's a tough dilemma. A minty car with the benefits of HO would be a blast to drive, but you obviously lose on the authenticity/originality end. It comes down to how much priority you want to place on showing or selling the car down the road. You'll obviously enjoy it immensely with an HO conversion in the meantime, but is it worth the effect it will have on resale (potentially positive OR negative) and showing (stock vs. modified class) in the future?

Before I bought Mike's car, I went through a lot of indecisiveness with my '87 CV. I was torn between preserving it's originality (everyone loves a clean "all-original" survivor) and dropping in the '96 Explorer 5.0/4R70W from my parts truck. I still haven't made up my mind yet - although I don't feel quite as bad about having some fun with that car now that I've got Mike's TC.

I can't help but feel that as the baby boomers age and depart the auto enthusiast scene, originality is going to have less and less importance in the market. Look at how big the "tuner" crowd is now. Heavily modified cars (including restomods) are "in" and will only become more desirable.
                      Last edited by RyPow; 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM.
                      RyPow

Comment

That's a tough dilemma. A minty car with the benefits of HO would be a blast to drive, but you obviously lose on the authenticity/originality end. It comes down to how much priority you want to place on showing or selling the car down the road. You'll obviously enjoy it immensely with an HO conversion in the meantime, but is it worth the effect it will have on resale (potentially positive OR negative) and showing (stock vs. modified class) in the future?

Before I bought Mike's car, I went through a lot of indecisiveness with my '87 CV. I was torn between preserving it's originality (everyone loves a clean "all-original" survivor) and dropping in the '96 Explorer 5.0/4R70W from my parts truck. I still haven't made up my mind yet - although I don't feel quite as bad about having some fun with that car now that I've got Mike's TC.
                        I hear what you're saying. It's a tough call for me especially because I am such an originality nazi. But, 150HP in one of these beasts? Come on, now, that's just criminal! Haha. I do plan to show the car, though, so it will likely stay right the way it is for now. With only 52k miles on it, there's really no reason to rip into it anyways. If the miles were much higher and it needed things refurbed, it may not be as difficult to decide.
                        Nick

Comment

With only 52k miles on it, there's really no reason to rip into it anyways. If the miles were much higher and it needed things refurbed, it may not be as difficult to decide.
                          Very true - if it needed the work anyway, it would be more justifiable to put HO stuff back in place of the stock stuff you were ripping out. Tearing down a perfectly good low-miles engine just doesn't make a lot of sense though, unless you're mad hungry for horsepower (case in point: my buddy with his '12 VW GTI that had the stock exhaust, struts, coil packs, air intake, rims/tires and PCM ripped out and replaced with aftermarket with less than 20k on the clock).
                          RyPow

Comment

Howdy! You could do what I do and only modify things that can go back to stock and store them in a safe area. Nice to see another Ft. Wayne fella here!
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Good god that car is gorgeous! I love the color and the wheels.

'93 T-bird
                              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                              '88 Mark VII
                              '86 CV

Comment

Working...
                              X