Replaced the heater core still no Hot air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced the heater core still no Hot air

well i spent all day replacing the heater for and it still didn't seem to help there is prolly less heat now and i wonder if it has something to do with the brown liquid that seems to be in tha radiator is it possible that this is why the air is cold i didnt top it off or add any to the overflow tank since it seems full even after i did tha whole process any idea if theres somthing else that could be faulty?

coolant should be to the top of rad cap when running. my guess is you dislogded stuff in the process or the level is incorrect.

you only fill the overflow after verifying rad is topped off. i usually slow pour into rad and then it fills the overflow at the same time.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Does the engine run up to full temperature?

Do you have automatic climate control?

Are the hoses going to the heater core hot ?

Is the radiator full? You will have lost at least some coolant when the core was changed. If the coolant is brown and nasty, I'd probably suggest flushing the cooling system out and refilling with a fresh 50/50 mix.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

im gonna top it off tomorrow, i have bad engine gaskets there nothing major but i thought i'd point them out, i will be taking the care to get flushed no longer trust my judgment anymore i don't think i dislodged anything because i took pictures of everything i disconnected and put them all back but i didn't top the radiator when i finished and i had started working on the car when it was a little warm because when i opened up the top it bursted out coolant then again when i removed the hoses and it did drop a good amount, when i was done it was still topped at the radiator so i didn't add anymore im gonna let it completly cool then i will check it tomorrow

Comment

turned the car on and only one hose is hot facing the front of the car it would be the one on the left

Comment

if only one hose is hot you may have a collapsed or clogged heater hose
            first flush out the brown crap and i would change the thermostat and all the hoses

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I went through a similar scenario with my 90 gmq last spring. Since you're replacing the heater core it would definitely be a good idea to replace all the hoses as well, especially if they are original, and flush out all that crap coolant and replace it. The bad coolant is most likely what caused your old heater core to clog up or leak in the first place and if you keep running dirty coolant through the new one it'll go bad before too long. If your cooling system is so bad that one of your heater hoses are blocked then you're going to need some serious coolant flushes to get as much of that gunk out of there as possible. My car has the same problem.

Comment

its gotta be in the nasty gunk in the hoses, the radiator and thermostat were put in last year and i changed the heater core yesterday

Comment

Flush the system out. The problem with crappy cooling systems is the garbage moves around. New radiator, but all the crud thats in the engine block will have immediately moved into the radiator when you started it. Same with the heater core. I have replaced every single part of my cooling system at least twice now, including the engine, radiator, and heater core. There is still gunk in there from 10 years ago when I got the car. I didn't replace all of the parts at the same time, so its just been re-distributing. Its down to a pretty small amount now but I guarantee I could drain the radiator and get at least a bit of crap out of it. The Blazer my mom got had a new radiator installed, along with fresh heads. they didn't flush the thing out, so the cooling system is sort of a rusty green now. The overflow tank looks like someone dumped black coffee in there. Thats on my list of things to deal with next weekend.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check and make sure your temperature blend door in the heater box is closing fully and sealing. If there is even a little gap at all, cold air will get in and it will be all for naught.

+1 on flushing and filling your cooling system as well. Never hurts to change the hoses while you have it apart as well, it's cheap insurance for the future.
                    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Was your replacement heater core the same width at the one you took out? Did you use the foam weatherstripping around the core so it fits tight into the box (if you don't, the cold air that flows around the heater core is going to make it feel like no heat).

Alex.

Comment

Well this morning i went to the car to find the windshield wit a layer of ice on it, i thought this is gonna take forever so i turned on the car and started scraping with my winter brush after a few minutes the ice is almost gone and i was only on one side. it was the heat from the defroster that i had left on and i can tell you right now before i would turn the car on and sit there for over an hour before it would get lukewarm but thinking back i did disregard the foam since the heater core came with some maybe it wasn't enough but there seems to be more heat now. i also ripped some foam off where the heatercore duct and the duct that i believe goes to the vents on the dashboard meet since they are so much weaker now. so im gonna have to find a way to plug that up doesn't seem to bad since when i remove the radio and glove box i can see where the foam is missing must of ripped on me while trying to align the two ducts definetly going to do a coolant flush and contemplate whether i wanna go through all that trouble to put some foam insert along the edges of the heater core
                        Last edited by TroubleMarq; 12-10-2013, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Yeah alex said it, I totally forgot, your heater core needs to have the foam around it or the air that flows through will just go around it. I have half of one side missing from around my heater core and it still gets warm enough though. +1 on checking the blend door as well. What concerns me is how you say that only one hose is hot, I hope your new heater core didnt already get clogged up or something.

Either way you definitely need a coolant flush.

Comment

One thing to pay attention to while you are foaming the core, test fit it and look at the side gaps. The core I currently have needed multiple layers of foam on one side to seal it to the box. Never noticed it the first time around, but it has made a big difference in heat this year (l I pulled my heater box out earlier this year to rectify the no heat issue, I thought it was a broken blend door hinge, turned out to be a major oversight on my part originally).

Alex.

Comment

well i'm right there with you on oversights, i'm gonna head to home depot pick some sort of foam or get that owen corning fiberglass i see that pink panther bragging about and some tape. man i love this site if it wasn't for you guys i'd be lost on all the fixes i attempted this year thanks really!

Comment

Working...
                              X