1990 Crown Vic "ShockRod"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Crown Vic "ShockRod"

I have been working on this for a few years, so since this THE site for these cars, figured I would post progress. So here's some background;
    Ex-cop car with the cop or heavy duty package. Which means it has posi, heavy duty springs, shocks, sway bars and 140 mph speedo. The car has a 351w and a AOD, part of the police package is the heavy duty oil and power steering cooler, not the two row kind that you see on many cars but actual coolers mounted on the raditor support. It used to have A/C but I removed it, so the curb weight is now in the low 3700lbs range, about the same as a modern mustang. Since getting the car I have added; 600cfm Holley, Edelbrock Peformer intake, MSD coil, Ford Racing valve covers, BBK Chrome coated shorties for a 351w swap into a mustang, these run into a 2.5” h-pipe again for a mustang, ending with Thrush trubo mufflers. Instead of the stock 2.73 gears, the 8.8 now has 3.73 gears,and the posi is still tight.

It used to be a supervisor’s car for a small town here in Kansas so it has been taken care of very well and has all of the comforts one would exsepct to com from a Vic plus the police features such as the spot light, gauges and the aforementioned 140mph speedo. With about 100,000 easy miles the engine runs suprisingly strong and clean. I have truly seen 75,000 mile fuel injected enignes with dirtyer plugs.

Some pics from when I first got it;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1496.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	1301125

Name:	DSC00274.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1301126

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1301128

Name:	IMG_2382.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1301129

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1301127
    Grille work

Name:	IMG_2384.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1301130
    Later pic with racer moons and door chrome shave

Name:	IMG_20120131_161656.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1301131
    Last edited by Lazerbeans; 12-10-2013, 01:46 PM.
    Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

After a time I realized that the basic lines of the car is cool, but Ford kinda tired too hard in some aspects of the design. One example of this is putting chrome around the door windows. To me with the door windows being basically square, there's no reason to highlight them. On some cars with a "fastback" design, it highlights the rearward sweep of the window, and that is attractive; no so on Vics. So I decided to get rid of it. But that leaves a huge gap around the doors. So I grabbed some steel, the welder and went to work.

Name:	DSC00890.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1273460

Name:	DSC00893.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1273461

Name:	DSC00899.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1273462

Name:	DSC00909.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1273463

Name:	DSC00909.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1273463

Name:	DSC00923.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1273464

Name:	DSC00931.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1273465

Name:	DSC00932.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1273466
    Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

Comment

Next came the front bumper. Again I think Ford was trying too hard. Its a nice big shiny, chrome bumper, but the covered half of it up. In addition, there's a huge amount of empty space on a already long car. So I plan on tucking the front and rear bumpers in as far as the impact bumpers allow. Then weld up the various holes, in the case of the front bumper, get rid of the front licences plate "space". After that blending the plastic cover into the bumper. As now the front is done, and the rear is half done. After the rear is done I plan on pulling fiberglass molds of each, and replace them in fiberglass. I weighed the front bumper, and it weighs 53lbs. So I should be able to lose at least 80lbs in total off the car; weight that is hanging the furthest out.

Name:	DSC01178.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1273467

Name:	DSC01183.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1273468

Name:	DSC01191.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1273469

Name:	DSC01204.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1273470

Name:	IMG_20120903_154533.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1273471

Name:	Jt5Dk95Q-LGug8Nu8q0T0Hct49UwSWnLUod8x341tx4.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1273472

Name:	20130711_200937.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1273473

Comment

Nice work, I like the black and white contrast on the front.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

A couple years back I was able to get these beauties. They are MB Wheels "Old School's" 17x9.5, running 275/40/17 Falken Ziex ZE-512 all four corners. I would have liked to use a taller tire that didn't leave as much room above the tire, but it would have limited my tire choices. This is a common size for fox body's to run, so finding a replacement locally, should be an issue. So after the bumpers are done, I am going to lower it.

Name:	DSC01093.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1273474

Name:	DSC00950.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1273475

Name:	DSC00943.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1273476

Name:	DSC00946.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1273477

Name:	2013-10-13_14.11.49_detail.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1273478

Comment

I have done miscellaneous things that I haven't covered such as filling about four radio holes and the badge and trim holes by the back window, removed n smoothed the hood "badge". Fixed rear quarter damage from a prius, plus replaced the lower half of the same quarter, due to rust. Basicly the guy couldnt out run the car for the lane, so when I slowed down to the speed limit, he clipped the rear, and played stupid. Said I cut him off. Then how did he crush the whole read quarter in, and left the rear bumper intact? ANYWAYS, lol, Currently I am finishing the rear bumper and making tracks for a pair of Dodge bucket minivan seats I pirated. The front seat "bench" weighed 110+lbs; these weigh about 34 each, plus are a little more supportive. I'll post the bumper and the seat install, soon, when they are finished. Or run across anything else cool, I have forgotten. Near future plans are; finish body mods, and paint a graphite grey/silver, redesign the interior a bit and change it to black/charcoal. Finally get to lowering it, installing that shift kit that has been sitting on the shelf for years. And maybe pull the engine, throw gaskets, timing chain, and oil pump into it, then clean up the engine bay. Hopefully while I am at it, I have the money to cam it, and pocket port the heads.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
              Nice work, I like the black and white contrast on the front.
              Thanks
              I was planning on painting it satin black, but after seeing the contrast, I am going to leave it for awhile. Really digging it white, against the blackened grill, and grey wheels.

Comment

Great work so far! That tucked bumper is sick! I'm inspired. Can't wait to see more updates.
                1971 Mustang Coupe - Weekend Warrior
                1990 Crown Vic - Driver/Project

Comment

That P72 is beautiful Lazerbeans!!! Aside from andyfanshawes wagon, you have one of the few custom box Panthers. Great Job!

Packman

Comment

Thanks again guys. The bumper turned out better than I expected. I figured it would look fine, but it really changes the attitude of the car.
                    Anybody got a link to andyfanshawes wagon? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Comment

Cool ideas. The wheels/ entire car will look killer with the drop.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Love the front end treatment, really unique. Can't wait to see the rest of the progress.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Definitely different. Once you lower it it will really pop.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Nice work!!
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

That front end is sweet as hell! I can't wait to see how the rest turns out.

'93 T-bird
                              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                              '88 Mark VII
                              '86 CV

Comment

Working...
                              X