Cheating the System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheating the System

For those people that live in the smog states (CA comes to mind) and those who used to. What color were these engines (CFI and EFI alike) when they were new? Are there any aftermarket heads and intakes that will fit the stock lower and HO upper? Probably been discussed before, but I was thinking if one were to scratch/file down the manufacturer logo on the heads and paint them whatever color these engines came with; would it be possible to sneak it through inspection?

Packman

I think they were all grey. Not sure though.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

My grandma's 84 CFI is grey.
      Maintaining Grandma's 84 CFI GM for her

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
        For those people that live in the smog states (CA comes to mind) and those who used to. What color were these engines (CFI and EFI alike) when they were new?
        My '85 TC (CFI) valve covers are grey from factory, and the '87s (SEFI) are black. I'll have to double-check the heads themselves when I'm home later.
        RyPow
        1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
        1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
        2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
        1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
        2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
        2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Duh, now I remember that the EFI (at least my '86) valve covers are black. I would imagine the engine is gray along with the intake. Would the inspection people remember or know what color a fresh engine is? I am just concerned with making a non-stock engine look original. Couldn't do headers; or at least have them installed when inspection time comes. Though I imagine if you're cheeky, you could set up the exhaust so you could unbolt the manifolds and H/X pipe and replace with the headers and appropriate piping; so basically make use of the flanges in between inspections.

Packman

Comment

Lincoln logs would make that easy. But paint the entire engine semi-gloss black. A lot of engines in the 80's where painted all black, black will help "hide" any markings as well.

Alex.

Comment

Paint it rust colored? No one will suspect rust
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

They don't know or care about the paint. In California, you buy CARB certified parts, or stealthily modify the stock parts. For all the bother, CARB stuff is probably better and easier to deal with. New Jersey's smog inspections are a joke. I've been passing for years with no smog pump and non-stock exhaust. Here, if it has converters and passes the sniff test, its good. Ironically, the car with all of the correct bullshit is the one that has a hard time passing. I took the smog pump out of the system since I last went through though, so I'll find out what it has to tell me soon. I think I'm due this month.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nobody gonna even know or care on a 35 yr old car, as long as it appears stock

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What is this country coming to? I can't imagine any state including the far left one checking the smog control devices on a 25 year old car. Today the news folks reported the EPA is wanting to use more ethanol in the fuel. Damn! Using feed corn in our fuel in not the frigg-in answer to getting off foreign oil !! Ethanol is for drinking, not for fuel ! Think of all the diesel it takes to plant, plow, and harvest the stuff. And our yuppy friends are paying 1.29 for a 20oz plastic bottle of water (8.26 per gallon). Oh, and we all know that plastic is a product of what? It ain't corn liquor folks.

Comment

Only God knows what Ethanol is doing to our fuel and engine parts.....I've already seen what it does to lawn equipment!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

i live in a stupid smog state.what i did when i restored my merc was remove the entire exhaust system, cats included and put dual straight pipes with dual cherrybombs. its extremely loud and illegal but i have never been bothered. when i went for the inspectiob sticker the guy said it will not pass, luckily i convinced him to pass it and he said "well fix it for next time"

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                          nobody gonna even know or care on a 35 yr old car, as long as it appears stock
                          Exactly my point. GM_Guy had a good idea with painting it all black and I guess leave the intake "as is". That would work I think.

In NJ, inspections have gotten lax over the past few years. Though, I remember back in the late '90s, it was tough. It's the reason why I pay for inspections. It's also the reason why I put the 305sbc back into my Malibu for all of those years. Less hassle for $30-$50 private inspection.

Packman

Comment

So in NJ, were the inspectors looking for physical devices to be present or sniffing the tailpipe for HC/CO readings? Can't believe the inspectors were just looking for paint color as a tip for "tampering with a pollution controlled vehicle"......Hate that term, you can't convert a "pollution controlled vehicle" to run CNG.....stupid bastards (EPA that is).

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
                              So in NJ, were the inspectors looking for physical devices to be present or sniffing the tailpipe for HC/CO readings? Can't believe the inspectors were just looking for paint color as a tip for "tampering with a pollution controlled vehicle"......Hate that term, you can't convert a "pollution controlled vehicle" to run CNG.....stupid bastards (EPA that is).
                              They were for a short time sniffing the tailpipe on the classics (i.e. '68 Charger). We tried running methanol and got caught. Also tried explaining to the people that in '68, there were no pollution standards. But those were the rules back then, so we had to let that car go. There was a time back in the '60s (in NJ) when seatbelts would get you failed. Anything not originally installed in the vehicle was illegal. My father's friend had a nice Dodge that he had to ditch because he installed seatbelts to make it a bit more safe to drive.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X