Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust is possibly in need of replacing any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust is possibly in need of replacing any suggestions?

Well my exhaust isn't smelling or looking too good anymore. Some days the exhaust will come out from under the car by the front door if it's cold enough. It smells like gasoline a lot more than i remember. I haven't had a mechanic check it out and i haven't been stupid enough to crawl under there and have some one turn her over. I really like the exhaust videos in the exhaust thread and was just wondering how much money for a set ups like that because i would like to give the grand marq a little more roar if it's not gonna cost an arm a leg

Around $300 for full dual exhaust with custom made H pipe, little more for flowmaster mufflers. You need the h pipe crossover to prevent horriffic droning at certain speeds/acceleration. It will buzz inside your inner ear painfully and could make you woozy--exactly what you want at 55-60 in traffic.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 12-21-2013, 08:38 AM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Stainless costs more but will probably be the last exhaust you have to buy for the car.

Mine cost $1,200 in metro NY. Cold be cheaper elsewhere.

Don't know what car you have. Box or later model. Later model cop dual systems might be a good cheap way to go stainless if you have a later model.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I paid 400 for full 2.5 aluminized pipe from the headers to the tails. I supplied flowmaster mufflers. No crossover in the system. Bungs welded near the "collector" for the O2 sensor. Go custom. Don't try piecing a parts store exhaust together cuz it will probably not fit right, be low performance. Sound like asscrack. Look like crap, and still need to be corrected and welded up by a real exhaust shop. Good luck.,
        87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
        Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

I paid a little less than $500 for cat-back with H-pipe on my vic (2.25 pipe, stock size, mild stainless) and magnaflow muffs at a local pipe bender. had to go back and get the flanges removed from the cats to h-pipe as one side or the other was warped and wouldn't seal. They just welded it all together and didn't even charge me for it. Awesome guys and great work. If you can find a shop like that locally, go with them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

BBK Mustang ceramic shorties, BBK Mustang cat'd H-pipe, 2 Summit turbo muffs, Heartthrob '94 Impala catback, Summit 2.5" cutouts, and a pair of Pypes TransAm splitter tips cost me $950 back in 2007.

Because of some suspension issues a few years ago (and a steep driveway apron), I am having to rebuild the exhaust from the catback to the headers. The Mustang pipes (at least on mine) hang low. This time I will try making the down pipes all the way back to the muffs; with 3" piping.

Packman

Comment

When I got my 91 it was originally a single exhaust car that had the nastiest, cheapests, most poorly done dual conversion I have ever seen. I didn't have to put up with that for long though. I had no desire to spend big bucks nor cared about every once of performance possible. And I figured that what was good enough for a CVPI was good enough for my car.

So I went to several JY's until I found a real nice, factory original dual set up on a CVPI and snatched it all up for practically nothing. I took everything front to back, every pipe, every hanger, I wanted it bone stock and right.

That was years ago and the system I pulled off that day is still on there and solid as a rock. I do have different mufflers
              and I'm using Lincoln Logs. And where I live there is no problem with rust.

Comment

man... idk I just spent sum big bucks for a kinetic 2400 high capacity battery for the basshead in me. I thought I got a good deal for it on ebay but It was dead with 8 volts showing in the meter. I had my buddy try to jump it we were there charging it for about half an hour and nothing but the guy seemed pretty nice about it, told me I needed to trickle charge it slow for a long time before 1st use hopefully that works im leaning towards an H pipe set up now any advice I don't wanna b taken for a ride at a exhaust shop...

Comment

Just get qoutes from all the exhaust shops around. Don't bother with chain shops, find a few locally owned businesses and call them up for quotes.

Ask people you know where they get exhaust work done. A shop that specializes only in exhaust and shocks and struts will probably be your best bet.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I had to be different back in the day. I went with an X-Pipe, 40-series Flowmasters, 2.5" Impala SS tail pipes and Marauder tips. Do some research and use a local exhaust shop. Good luck!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

on a side note i just found out why my battery kept getting drained it was the stupid remote start/alarm combo i put in it.... I finally noticed because it was spazzing out my radio and when i removed the key from ignition completly the gas gauge was still in 3 quarter position and the radio stayed on and even the windows would roll up and down which isn't normal for any car, I cant believe it.... decided to just unhook it and see and sure enough everything went back to normal... still adding the new drycell battery the 3g alternator needs it!

Comment

By the way the $1,200 I paid included new H pipe, magnaflow cats, mufflers and all other pipes.

Being out of NY metro you could do better.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Still waiting on this weeks paycheck then im going to see what i can get hopefully i can find a place that will do dual H's for $350 doubt it......

Comment

I found that custom exhaust shops (NOT Mieneke or Midas/Monroe) do the best work (of course) and are surprisingly cheap. You might get a better price if you actually bring the car to them and have them take a look before they give you a price. Lots of places "aim high" in situations where they think they might need to to cover their ass, in case the job is a pain in it.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I got a quote of $800 on a custom mandrel bent stainless dual exhaust setup on my 1990. At least I'm fairly sure that was what we agreed on. When I actually go in and get re-quoted and do the deed I'll give updates, probably in March.
                              2007 Ford Focus S
                              2x 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                              1974 MGB

Comment

Working...
                              X