Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brake Swap. 98-02 upper arms . 79-94 Cross Shafts. 92-97 ES Bushings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brake Swap. 98-02 upper arms . 79-94 Cross Shafts. 92-97 ES Bushings.

Will a set of 98-02 Upper Control arms fit on a box panther riding on 91' cross shafts and a 92-97 ES Bushing (4.3150 )??? I think I know the answer but I am looking for anyone else to verify. Sorry. I know the big brake subject is beat to death but I am doing this for somebody else' peace of mind.

Ford Lists same upper control arm part number for 95-02. (Which for many that know, was a midyear 95 change.)
    Ford and Moog list cross shaft kit for 79-94.
    Energy Suspension lists control arm bushing kit 4.3150 for 92-97
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Believe so, but its the bushings I'm not positive about. I want to say there are two upper control arms in those years, police and non-police. The only real difference is the bushings. I want to say the civi ones use a large/small and the PI use two large. I might be wrong on that, but thats what floats to the surface. But with the proper bushings, the shaft can be put into the later upper arm. The bushings are just dependant on what the upper arm is from exactly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Exactly the answer I already knew, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. I've heard it from 3 sources now. I put my 00 P71 arms up for sale, and someone didn't believe me that the 79-94 cross shafts are supposed to fit. I didn't want to confuse the post by introducing the Police vs Civi bushing difference, but you are correct that there is SUPPOSED to be a difference in the 95-02 Civi Vs Police bushing. Now I would like to further clarify that I have a set of Civi and Police upper control arms both from 2000 model cars, and I see ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in the size of the bushings which is why I previously emphasized SUPPOSED and I have yet to verify why there is supposed to be a difference.
      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Believe so, but its the bushings I'm not positive about. I want to say there are two upper control arms in those years, police and non-police. The only real difference is the bushings. I want to say the civi ones use a large/small and the PI use two large. I might be wrong on that, but thats what floats to the surface. But with the proper bushings, the shaft can be put into the later upper arm. The bushings are just dependant on what the upper arm is from exactly.
      87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
      Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

GREAT SOURCE FOR INFO BTW....http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...ont/index.html

Comment

It might be the lower arms that changed. I know something with that bushing kit changed from 79-97 and 98-02. If you get the 95-97 kit, it fits all the old stuff, but theres one bushing that doesn't fit on the late arms.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes. The 92-97 kit 4.3150 fits all 79-97 lowers but it doesn't fit the 98-02 because the lower control arm bushings on a 98-02 have one oval and one round bushing. Still don't know why they list a difference in the 98-02 Police vs Civi Uppers though.

Comment

So to be clear, you can use the control arms from say a '01 on a box Vic, you just have to get the right bushings? I have all the parts from a '01, plus the rear disc coming via Fed Ex from an Alabama salvage, so I am curious.
              Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

Comment

SO I can grab the 4.3150 kit, and get the '01 arms to fit on my '90 vic, and the kit will also fit the lower control arms?
                Internal combustion of all types is a mechanical symphony, but it is the primordial roar of a V-8 that stirs a man's savage soul.

Comment

Upper arms did come with a small and large bushing, or two same sized bushings. Cop cars/sports/hpp's and regular cars seem to be the dividing line on that. Which is which I couldn't tell you.

Alex.

Comment

Energy Suspension shows two kits; 4.3150 and 4.3153. 4.3153 is listed as the police kit. So is that the kit with the staggered bushing size or two same sized?

Comment

I want to say its big/small for civilian and big/big for police. If it lists the contents it should tell you. If its got 4 bushings that are the same, then its the big/big set. If you only have sets of 2 bushings that are the same, its the big/small set.

4.3153 contents:
                      2 - 3350 Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
                      2 - 3351 Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings
                      4 - 3342 Front Upper Control Arm Bushings
                      2 - 6053 Spring Isolators
                      2 - 15.10.366.39 Center Metal Sleeves
                      2 - 15.10.367.39 Center Metal Sleeves
                      4 - 15.10.259.39 Center Metal Sleeves for 3342
                      1 - Installation Instructions #17019
                      2 - 9.11101 1/2 OZ. Formula 5 Prelube

4.3150 contents

2 3350 Front Lower Bushings
                      2 3351 Rear Lower Bushings
                      2 3341 Front Upper Bushings
                      2 3342 Front Upper Bushings
                      2 6053 Isolators
                      2 15.10.366.39 .813 x .562 x 3.270 Sleeves
                      2 15.10.367.39 .813 x .532 x 3.200 Sleeves
                      2 15.10.12.39 .812OD X .690ID X 1.800L Sleeves
                      2 15.10.259.39 .812OD x .688ID x 2.000L Sleeves
                      1 17019 Installation Instructions
                      2 9.11101 Formula 5 Prelube Tubes

Comment

Thanks guys. I was a little lost because all the stickys say grab the 92-94 control arm. But I guess that's only if you don't want to replace the bushings. If you want to replace the bushings, you can use any upper you want.

Comment

The 92-94 upper arm has the cross shafts, but bolts to the later ball joint. If you're doing poly bushings, you do not need to remove the outer shell, so you just burn out the rubber and push in the poly. If you use a later upper arm without the shaft, you will need to press the existing bushings out, press th bushings out of your stock box arms, put the cross shaft into the later arm, re-install the bushings, then burn them out to put in the poly. The 92-94 arms save all that extra work. If you can't find a set though, you takes what you can gets.

Comment

I have police uppers, so they are solid. Looks like they might unscrew, because there's one side that has a hex. Is that the case, or do they still need pressed out?

Or, if I'm thinking correctly, I could forget even trying to get the police bushings out, take a cut off blade to them to get the cross shaft out. Then burn out the late model bushings, install the box cross shafts, and install the right poly bushings. Sound right?
                            Last edited by Lazerbeans; 02-19-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

For that matter will the police shafts even work?

Comment

Working...
                              X