RyPow's '87 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RyPow's '87 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tudor

In my ever-infinite wisdom, I decided I needed another car. This one was lingering on the local classifieds for a while at $1500 with no takers. All it took was a re-list at $1000 and it caught my eye (and a few others!). Drove 3 hours from Guelph to the guy's home down the street from the Ford engine plant in Windsor, Ontario on Saturday, January 4th. It was a no-brainer. She is 99% rust-free, the missing 1% being some scab where the condensation pools at the flat bottom section of the trunk lid, on the inside. Drove her onto my trailer and home it came Probably had the most snow covering it on Saturday evening that ever has! It's in the carport now and will go out to my shop once my '68 Galaxie is picked up by it's new owner.

The car: 1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tudor in two-tone silver and dark grey, with a grey cloth interior. Built in December '86 at STAP (obviously ). The car was driven from South Dakota to Windsor, Ontario in September 2013 by the previous owner. There is just over 90k showing. Apparently the owner in South Dakota was quite a car collector, of '67-71 Thunderbirds in particular, and owned this Tudor for many winter-free years. Options include Premium Sound, leather-wrapped wheel, power side mirrors, power driver's seat and cruise (not sure how many of those were included with the LX Group). It has the standard climate control system with A/C, and the standard 2.73 open rear end.

I figure I have a satisfactory inventory of clean, original-spec Panthers with automatic transmissions, so I'm going to have some fun with this one. I have a '96 Explorer 2WD parts truck with 5.0 waiting to be pulled, and I'm thinking T5 or something a bit more robust. One of the disc-brake (Lincoln Mark V) 9" rear ends laying around at my shop might come in handy too

Bonus points to the American F150 expert who can tell me what option on my truck (the availability, in particular) is unique to Canadian-ordered builds.

The Windsor engine plant a block down the street:

My truck rolled 50,000 kilometres (about 31k miles) on the way there. 2012 F-150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4, 5.0L Coyote, HD Payload Package, factory-ordered. I was battling quite a headwind on the way there - pretty brutal gas mileage at 17.8L/100km or 13.2 MPG with an empty (2200lb) trailer!

Last edited by RyPow; 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Another car? lol. Congrats! Funny how it was listed for so long. I was seriously wanting to get this car but, not to keep lol. Was going to do a trim swap with my car, then re sell. But, only would gone through with it if it had stripless bumpers.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Nice purchase!!! Definitely make that a cruiser/bruiser.

Packman

Comment

A very nice Tutone Tudor!

We need more pics!
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I love that car. Glad you got it.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Excellent purchase, Looks great

Comment

Gorgeous car!

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

Gorgeous car indeed! Good luck with her. She Looks real good with the truck and trailer combo... That Ford sign in the background by the Windsor plant looked like a good photo opp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy your latest toy! $1000 is a sweet deal.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Nice car, enjoy it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Never seen those wheels in the US. Is that Canada only?
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Got the same wheels on my '87 GM!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

They are talking about the truck wheels.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Awesome find man! Tutones and tudors are fresh!

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm even more pleased with it now that it's home. Paint should clean up nicely with clay/buffing. I'm going to have to do the vinyl roof though, unless I go rat-rod with some duct tape It's funny how small the car looks compared to the sedan. GT40/5spd is going to rock!

A couple minor issues:
                              1.) Door speakers do not work. I believe this is likely the Premium Sound ('football') amplifier? I have a spare amp to try.
                              2.) Blower only works on high speed. Resistor?

Otherwise, she runs surprisingly well. Takes forever to go into OD or D but I'm not too worried given my drivetrain plans. It's probably just low on fluid. We're supposed to get temperatures well above freezing over the weekend so I'm going to haul the pressure washer up from the basement and clean up the undercarriage. Pics will follow.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              Never seen those wheels in the US. Is that Canada only?
                              Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              They are talking about the truck wheels.
                              They are the 7-lug wheels that come with the Heavy Duty Payload Package which is available in the US too. Good guess! The "trailer towing" mirrors (telescopic with big lower convex mirror) on the truck are only available with the Max Tow package and Ecoboost in the US. In Canada, they're a standalone option available on any F150 regardless of engine/package. One of those rare occurrences where options are more versatile here (98% of the time it's the opposite).
                              RyPow
                              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                              1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                              2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                              1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                              2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                              2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Working...
                              X