Cruise Control won't hold speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Control won't hold speed

Hey everyone. Now that the Lincoln is back on the road I got to drive back to school. I noticed that the cruise control engages, but the throttle is really lazy about holding speed. If I go up a hill, the throttle doesn't change its position and the vehicle drops speed and the cruise control disengages.

I checked the vacuum lines and they look okay. The switch on the brake pedal seems fine too. I do have a theory about what it could be. The kickdown cable was damaged when the upper plenum was removed without undoing the brass grommet. Could the cruise control cable have broken in a similar manner if it was not properly removed? How should I check to see it is broken?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

the cruise control cable is out of adjustment, or maybe the part that broke is the adjustment

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What should I look for to see if it's broken?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

the cable that parallels the throttle cable... trace that and check for any breaks. There's also a clip that pulls out to adjust the length of the cable. Make sure that looks all correct too. If there's any kinks in that cable, it could be pinching the cable inside and not allowing it to move well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X